Style
78%

Total votes: 9
pvtjohnny
Veteran
Veteran

Scenarios or game style?

Postby pvtjohnny » Sat May 24, 2014 7:41 am

What's more important? Game scenario or style? Does it matter if you are invading Normandy, fighting up Hells Highway, battling through the dessert or crossing the Rhine??
Or is that all window dressing to the ethos, game style and immersive experience?

If we can establish this, perhaps our organisers can better meet our needs. After all, we don't want someone spending months developing a theme and putting it out there to find out that no one is interested in!

Post up your thoughts below
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Re: Scenarios or game style?

Postby Steiner » Sat May 24, 2014 9:38 am

I think there has to be a match of scenario with site. It sounds obvious, but that makes a real difference to me. We've always tried to do that at AGS events. There's no point in putting on "El Alamien" at a site that looks more like Vietnam, for example. :giggle:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby prideofengland » Sat May 24, 2014 9:44 am

Yes I think Scenario is largely site driven, a forest may look Ostfront, a quarry mediteranean. Having the players with the right kit to pull it off is important but Style of the game is far more important for what we are trying to achieve.
Rene "Are you one?"
Gruber "Vell, it vas very lonely on ze Russian Front."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wladek
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Wladek » Sat May 24, 2014 10:08 am

and time of year - not running an Italy game in the winter for example.

It also requires thought about the scenario and setting, beyond just a name, and yes this means limiting uniforms to those applicable to the scenario.

dadio

Postby dadio » Sat May 24, 2014 10:25 am

i'd agree that choosing the right site for a scenario is of greatest importance to visually set the scene ,after that you need to choose activities that may have been of pivotal(iconic) to the success of the opposing sides on the day of battle and integrate those into the scenario, in other word's if you are doing D day then you need people to feel like they are jumping off landing craft to attack a fortified position and clear a path in mine fields for Armour to cross etc.prop's are a good idea to set the scene ,mines ,mine detector's ,tank traps ,barbed wire ,all the stuff you expect to see .also it's nice to follow a plausible story line ,briefing's for the troops etc.i'm not sure the two points of style or scenario can be easily split .
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Universal Gunner » Sat May 24, 2014 10:38 am

If I look back on the really good games it has been those where we have progressed with clear tasks. Even if those tasks have involved digging holes or laying cables with no enemy in sight.

At Horn, the HG drilling and Signals setting out cables, the sound of the crash, the first sight on the hills of the FJ, the capture, the chase, the deception and the evasion

Il Giogio, Sevastopol, Patton, Crete, 2nd day at Highway all had a sort of linear feel and not the feeling that we were just fighting over the same small piece of ground all the time.

Scenario is good because it excites you and pulls you in - pause to sigh and think of what Chariot and Foxley may have been - but the true measure is how it goes on the day and the memories you leave with., for me a lot of those memories have little to do with trigger time as Airsoft is ultimately disappointing aurally, it is the atmosphere before engagements that I like more. Hence style.

Scenario is purely the invitation like saying we are having a Cowboys and Indian fancy dress that could mean anything from girls in short suede tassled dresses with plaits and neon feathers to Deadwood. It is important people grasp which one it is.

Hmm I may have shot myself in the foot with that last analogy.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Sat May 24, 2014 10:40 am

I have to make a point about 2 things:
Sites and Props.

firstly part of the problem is people requiring sites, or deciding based on how good a site is - Immersive games do not draw the numbers for many of the better sites. Indeed that is why many of these games get canceled, we want to use the best site they can for their scenario, but these are always incredibly expensive. I will ALWAYS want a better thought out, more involved and immersive game over a good site. A good game on a mediocre site completely makes up for it, a mediocre game on a great site tends not to. I love a great site, but am not willing to sactrifice the quality fo the game for it.

And props can frequently be used as, well, a prop. As above no prop has ever turned a mediocre game into a good game, and obsession with them has been known to detract from a game. I have nothing against them in principle, they look as nice to me as to everyone else, but a good game has to be immersive without them, then they truly become an addition. I will quote rule 4 from my 'rules of writing a game' (yes I do actually have these :whistle: ):

"Props are a great distraction, write a game that does not need any distractions"

dadio

Postby dadio » Sat May 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Wladek is correct , if the game is good then it needs nothing more from a site than an area to use , i love the rifles games he has organized and they required no set dressing or grand site to be excellent but i also like prop's even humble mine field singe's add something without needing to be an objective.i think that the best game's i've been to were just because they were well thought out and the organizers had systems in place to adjust the flow of the game if it started to go pear shaped ,proper planning ensures both faction's enjoy the experience no matter who historically "won the day" .you could have the best site ,prop's and players in the country but if it's not thoroughly planned and controlled then it ent gunnu work.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sat May 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Universal Gunner wrote:Hmm I may have shot myself in the foot with that last analogy.

Blown yourself up with a grenade, surely Charlie? :giggle:

And yes, to agree with Craig - playing a scenario in February that's supposed to be in the height of summer makes it pretty difficult to get "immersed".

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

Return to “Immersive WW2 game discussion group”