How things will work...

A Comrades in Arms event to be held at Grafton Park, Northamptonshire
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

How things will work...

Postby Chomley-Warner » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 am

In the real event on 7th June 1944 two troops of No 3 Commando were tasked with recapturing the Merville battery, unsuccessfully taken out the day before. They hadn't been briefed and the new action wasn't pre-planned and they weren't even tooled up for the job. But meh, they were Commandos.

Each troop consisted of 50 men so 100 troopers in total were tasked for the job. The area they were heading to was beyond the easterly flank and so they had no support. Indeed, while their kicking off point was beginning to become secure the main battle plan was to clear a path to Caen, so Merville was an awkward deviation - straight into German-held territory with reinforcements being galvanised. The real event ended badly with the only escape route being through a mine field and the whole event, while fought valiantly, can in retrospect perhaps be called a wasteful action.

OK, so the British had a shitty time and we have a game where booked players are at odds with the real event - the Germans side will be out gunned, no matter how many MGs they have.

So here is what we do, allowing everyone to play their preferred side and have a challenge on both sides. We turn a problem into a solution. All those kind people who offered to switch sides will start the game on the British side. Remember the British had 100 men and no reinforcements? This is how we will play it. Once they have got through 100 'lives' the force will be depleted and players (who volunteer) will drop out, change uniforms and join the other side. The British side will get depleted and the German side will get stronger. This will both be a strong incentive to not be reckless with life and limb and also make players think of the consequences of what they do. Really, this is just another airsoft construct to make a 'game' out of a battle that is as far from a game as it is possible to be. An extension of the medic or regen rules, if you like. Oh, and Germans will have unlimited 'regens' and British injuries may well count towards man loss as, by and large and regardless of what is seen in the movies, if you are shot in the arm/foot/wherever you are out of the action.

So, volunteers for in-game side-switchers please. Remember, you don't necessarily have to have your own kit to change into. We will need at least six volunteers please, which will skew the odds satisfactorily.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: How things will work...

Postby prideofengland » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:17 am

Sounds great count me in :good:
Rene "Are you one?"
Gruber "Vell, it vas very lonely on ze Russian Front."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mattywheels
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Mattywheels » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:04 pm

I've full Heer kit, so I'll volunteer to switch when the lives are expended (A massive bonus for trying to stay alive though!). One question, will this change apply even if the numbers level themselves out over the next 5 weeks?
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Thank you switchers - two games for the price of one!

Heh, I like an optimist. :wink: I think we can assume things will remain as they are, proportionately. The bonus is that we can open spaces are available for the British now.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Allenby
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Allenby » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Heer loadout. Happy to switch. :good:
ImageImageImageImage
Barrie and Anne
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Barrie and Anne » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:57 pm

I have very basic German kit and can switch if required.

I can't, however, guarantee that my switching will have any effect whatsoever on the effectiveness of either side.
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby prideofengland » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Barrie and Anne wrote:I can't, however, guarantee that my switching will have any effect whatsoever on the effectiveness of either side.

I was thinking the same thing for myself :slap:
Rene "Are you one?"
Gruber "Vell, it vas very lonely on ze Russian Front."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “The Silencing of Merville - 2nd August 2014”