How was it for you? & photo's

A Comrades in Arms event to be held at Grafton Park, Northamptonshire
Allenby
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: How was it for you? & photo's

Postby Allenby » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:04 pm

We wondered what the Hell it was at first; from a distance it looked like a mine!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
CHThree
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby CHThree » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:00 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed my day, well done to my fellow commandos, the opposition were tough and the cost was high but you all stuck at it. (At least until the bunker by which time many of us were completely shagged out) Both sides' kit looked top notch too. It was really nice to meet up with some old friends again and to meet some of the newer players on the scene too. The weekend has left me with a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside. :) Or was that the wodka.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
dcheetham89
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dcheetham89 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:49 am

Allenby wrote:You were also a big fan of kicking suspected IED's then legging it at break neck speed leaving me staring at it!

Lucky it was just a glass bottle. That's still one of the funniest moments I've had in airsoft. The entire commando held up or five minutes because someone had stuck a bottle in the road and we were so jumpy we thought it was a bomb. :)

Haha that was pretty brilliant! See things like that set it apart, we didnt know what was part of the game and what wasn't! and whats been said about rifles is spot on, there was the perfect mix between smgs and rifles, really worked well, as we as a plastic commando knife....and kicking over potential mines and using Allenby as a human shield :giggle:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mattywheels
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Mattywheels » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:57 am

Agreed entirely, it was great to see so many rifles on the field + it really enhances the use of LMGs and their value to a section. Think I only shot three people all day, but as they were rifle kills, they are so much more satisfying! :happydance:

I thought Pete, genuinely believed that me & dcheetham89 were the 'marksmen' in 3 Commando when he asked us to try and sneak into position to try and take out the German LMG position...only to then have that illusion shattered when he admitted he used us to try and draw fire :slap: Damn you Sergeant!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:15 am

Finally got a chance to sit and tap out a few words so I thought I'd echo the above.
I will admit i had my doubt's as I prepped for the game and drove up, I was worried the low numbers and resulting rewrite of the scenario would lessen the experience. Then when I got stuck in all my doubts melted away as I was treated to exactly the kind of immersive experience I joined the WW2 scene for and that so many speak of.
Thanks to Dadio for letting me have a go on the Bren, a lovely (and lethal) piece of kit. The way the LMGs were treated combined with a good number of rifles and ammo limits made it feel like the battle deciding element they were rather than just a bigger AEG with a huge mag.
Using the rifle, I struggled with the foilage and close quarters for a good part of the day, but towards the end when the commandos started using the field to outflank the defenses around the bunker it suddenly came into it's own as I got to engage the commandos at longer ranges down clearer sight-lines. I frustrated a few outflanking attempts that way, and while scoring kills is satisfying, what was far more rewarding was feeling like I was playing a valuable part in protecting the bunker and deployed LMG!
Surpringly the rifle continued to be pretty useful once inside the bunker, taking accurate potshots through doorways from dark corners.

Thanks to all who played. Kit and sportsmanship was excellent and I am so glad I made it to CIA's last stand.
I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImage
HeadShot
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby HeadShot » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:44 am

All I can say is, if you enjoyed Merville, which was a reinvented game pulled together pretty quickly, imagine what Hut 9 could have been like...with over a year's worth of planning.

Shame we'll never know. :whistle: :cry:
Muttley
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby Muttley » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:18 am

A little sad that my first CiA game was also the last but I did have a fantastic introduction to WW2 airsoft. I was a little apprehensive before hand but even with all the problems this event had I think it turned out to be a very enjoyable and memorable one.

The first attack by the brits really pulled me in, as soon as BBs started flying everybody was switched on and the role play was fantastic. I needed new unterhosen a few times when I heard the brits shout 'enemy spotted' and I realised it was me they were talking about! :shock:

Huge thanks to the organisers, fellow Germans and of course those pesky Brits! Hopefully I'll see you all at another event soon.
Wake up there, Muttley, you're dreaming again!
You're not Robin Hood and you're not Gunga Din.
You're not a brave knight or a king who's been crowned;
You're just plain old Muttley, the snickering hound!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:40 am

What did people think of the mortar attack?

We'd always wondered if people like the use of fixed pyro in game. It has to come with lots of safety precautions which can make it all a bit stilted. I hope it added something...
Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Universal Gunner » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:04 pm

What a great day. Fantastic turn out of kit on both sides. The Commandos looked brilliant. Right from the start and Monty's speech it was thoroughly immersive. Setting off down the lane spread out on both sides, first contact and on, calling in the artillery barrage, the German counter attack at lunch, gradually working our way towards the battery. A brilliant day.

I thought the game play was fantastic, excellent hit taking - on several occasions I had no idea who I was shooting at but knew they were in a bush somewhere, a couple of blasts from the Thompson and the satisfying scream and cry of "Sani". The Germans were great fought very well indeed, I stopped counting after I'd been killed 12 times.

Steiner wrote:I took charge of the Zib MG for a portion of the day. It's a heavy brute, but a great gun. Apologies to Charlie - after shooting him, his comrade then attempted to run through the same gap, and I hosed them both. :oops:

Absolutely no apology necessary Andy, I died in the way! As the commandos waited for the order to re-group for "medicing" it generally made sense to just lie dead and wait for that order but a couple of times that did leave you exposed to "overkill" or in this case stray rounds. If I hadn't fallen lying on the bergen with my bare head in the air or had shown less unit pride and worn the helmet, I am sure my expletives would have been a lot quieter! All part of the game, and a great game it was.

Cheers
Charlie
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Universal Gunner » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:09 pm

HeadShot wrote:What did people think of the mortar attack?

We'd always wondered if people like the use of fixed pyro in game. It has to come with lots of safety precautions which can make it all a bit stilted. I hope it added something...

I loved it, if only it had worked and got the Germans! The more bangs the better as far as I'm concerned. :good:
ImageImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
Wladek
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Wladek » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Universal Gunner wrote:
HeadShot wrote:What did people think of the mortar attack?

I loved it, if only it had worked and got the Germans! The more bangs the better as far as I'm concerned. :good:

ooo, I'll give the dissenting opinion - I don't ;)

For exactly the reason you state, it is always stilted and always works to draw me out of the game to some degree. In fact this one was one of the best - because we (or at least I) couldn't see it, it was just bangs I was being told was a mortar. we didn't have to 'stop and watch the fireworks'.

dadio

Postby dadio » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 pm

The mortar fire was good from my perspective ,really made you flinch even if you knew it was coming .
Probably my highlight of the day was springing the ambush and capture of the enemy patrol ,standing up in plain sight and shouting HAND'S UP in German and just praying they would not shoot me , it felt very real at that point and relied on complete teamwork in order to work.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mattywheels
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Mattywheels » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:37 pm

I'm in favour of having artillery/mortar support...if it is used sparingly and sensibly. Having the option to radio for a 'bombardment' if the game has become a bit bogged down, can increase the illusion that you are truly involved in a combined arms operation. Though I agree with Craig that it needs to be part of the action, rather than a set piece that will make people stop and watch.

If you were praying during that ambush Gav, image how I felt on point being suddenly faced with 8 angry Germans!!!! :shock: :shock:
ImageImageImage
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:02 pm

dadio wrote:Probably my highlight of the day was springing the ambush and capture of the enemy patrol ,standing up in plain sight and shouting HAND'S UP in German and just praying they would not shoot me , it felt very real at that point and relied on complete teamwork in order to work.

This was a great moment for me too. suddenly springing from the shrubs snarling "HANDE HOCH" AND "KAPITULIEREN" at a handful of bewildered Commandos in the finest traditions of war movie Germans was good fun :D
I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImage
clash
Veteran
Veteran

Postby clash » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:26 pm

First off, I'd like to thank the game organisers, especially as they still put on a game after hut 9 was cancelled, instead of just scrapping the whole thing.

It was one of the best games I have attended. The gameplay was excellent, the company was wonderful, and the site was great. I even got to be the person who blew everything up at the end. :happyswing:
The only negatives for me were the rain, and the fact I couldn't use my bergen. But alas these things happen.

Also looking back on the photos, us commandos looked the absolute business. I will upload mine when I've got them developed, and if any of them have turned out alright.

Thanks to McVickers for the loan of one of his pup tents, and Chomley for helping me when my feeble attempts to put up said tent failed. :giggle:

Return to “The Silencing of Merville - 2nd August 2014”