Hello from Essex

Wecome to the forum , please say hello and take time to have a read of the rough guide, it may save you some time getting up to speed.
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: Hello from Essex

Postby Granger » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:49 pm

My site are ok with the use of mosfets so I'll stick to getting a sten rather than a Thompson.

Something I wanted to ask was about the lipo battery. I've read several guides on lipos but I'm still a bit confused on whether to just stock with the stock battery or upgrade it to an 11.1v. Is it worth upgrading at all?
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:59 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:46 pm

With a Sten, the battery space is limited. You can fit an 8.4 or 9.6V NiMh stick battery inside the tube of the stock or a 7.4V LiPo inside the back of the main body behind the piston. I'm not sure and 11.1V Lipo would fit inside the gun and tbh the trigger response of the Sten is already exceedingly good so it would be overkill. An 11.1V lipo would require the Mosfet to be permanently wired into the trigger of the gun as well.

To replace the battery if you use a NiMh stick battery requires removing the stock, which is held on with a large allen screw. Replacing the battery with a LiPo also requires removing the rear of the main tube (where the rear sight is), this is held on with a very small screw. I would recommend that a 9.6V NiMh is the best bet as I would not want to change a LiPo in the field as the tiny screw would be very easy to lose.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Iceman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Iceman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:51 am

11.1 totally not needed for the Sten. Mine has a few upgrades and still the 7.4 keeps a good rate of fire and last for atleast half a game (3-4 hours). The switch for the trigger is really the weak part for the Sten, and might need replacing at some point in my experience. I would not recommend getting NiCd- or NiMH-batteries at this point, since they are so far behind the curve compared to LiPos. Most of the kinks have been worked out of LiPos and their use is not really that hard. If used correctly they are as well. Done the battery I think once in the field, can be done but you can prob eliminate the need for field-changes by planning ahead and changing it if you're in the respawn/where-ever and you know you're gonna have to change in the next hour or so.

Also echoing those before me, accuracy is really incredible considering it's short barrel and ACM hop up. Though I suggest changing the part that pushes the rubber itself down towards the bb (the name escapes me), mine was a screw (not optimal since it's hard metal), to a piece of wire cover or something rubber/plastic.
Why do you always carry that umbrella?
-Bad memory. Never could remember the password. Knew no Jerry would carry one. Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.
A bridge too far
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks all the advice. I've stuck with the 7.4 lipo and have found an old thread from this forum recommending lipo batteries for the sten which was helpful.

I'll have an opportunity to change batteries and load magazines between games so field changes aren't really a worry for me.

I've read reviews that recommend changing the bushings to metal and getting some good grease for the gear box.
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “New To The Forum? Please Look Here First”