Hello from Essex

Wecome to the forum , please say hello and take time to have a read of the rough guide, it may save you some time getting up to speed.
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Hello from Essex

Postby MartinR » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Yes any site.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Any outdoor site certainly. The only downside of the Sten is that it is full auto only. Most indoor sites tend to only allow single shot.
You can get around this by using a programmable mosfet such as a Burst Wizard. These are tiny circuit boards that plug in between the gun and the battery and can be used to set how many shots you fire with each trigger pull. If you use one, you will however use up your batteries very fast.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone. For now I'll stick with Airsoft Billericay and try to get in some ww2 events once I have the sten. I had looked into the Lee Enfield but it seems the only good quality one is the SnS version and that's out of my budget... For now.

Getting ahead of myself here but is it wise to bring a couple of extra fully charged batteries to replace used batteries in combat? Or do the batteries on a sten last quite a while?
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Allenby
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Allenby » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Granger wrote:Thanks for all the replies everyone. For now I'll stick with Airsoft Billericay and try to get in some ww2 events once I have the sten. I had looked into the Lee Enfield but it seems the only good quality one is the SnS version and that's out of my budget... For now.

Getting ahead of myself here but is it wise to bring a couple of extra fully charged batteries to replace used batteries in combat? Or do the batteries on a sten last quite a while?

I would. I've always taken spare batteries to events just to be on the safe side. The important thing to remember when you attend an event is you're basically in a wood somewhere, often a few hours from home. If something goes wrong with your gun it can seriously bugger your day.

My first two events with my own gun, something went wrong and I had to rely on the kindness of other people to get me through the day, as I didn't have a spare (both times at Fireball... which is probably why despite living about 130 miles away I'm a member there). You're lucky in that airsoft as a hobby (particularly WW2 airsoft) seems to attract kind hearted, enthusiastic people who will loan you a gun in a worse case scenario. That said, there are few things more demoralising in airsoft then having all your kit, travelling miles to a game, then getting there to find your gun's kaput. It's just added stress really, particularly when you're new.

Spare battery, spare mags and, eventually, spare gun... or two... or three... I'm not entirely convinced you can have too many in this hobby. :wink:

Basic rule is, as long as you're not a cock, people will always help you. :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks for the good advice. I'll definitely add some extra batteries to my shopping list. I've got five 110 cap magazines on the way already and am planning to get myself a browning hi power to use as a sidearm/secondary if the worst happens to my sten. For a spare gun I've already been looking at the SnS L42 but we'll see what the wife says ;-)
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:14 pm

The Sten usually will last a day on the standard battery. Best to have a spare though. The 110round King arms mags can sometimes have issues fitting into the Stens, if you are one of the unlucky few who have this issue it's easy to fix. They also hold 135ish rounds not the advertised 110.
The L42 is not a WW2 gun. It's a cold war era weapon. Nice looking gun though :)
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Russe11 wrote:The Sten usually will last a day on the standard battery. Best to have a spare though. The 110round King arms mags can sometimes have issues fitting into the Stens, if you are one of the unlucky few who have this issue it's easy to fix. They also hold 135ish rounds not the advertised 110.
The L42 is not a WW2 gun. It's a cold war era weapon. Nice looking gun though :)

I just assumed the SnS guns were ww2 era, thanks for putting me straight.

I'm starting to get a good idea of what will get me through a day of airsoft. I'll report back tomorrow with my experiences of my first game and how I found the kit.
Regards,

Ralph

MartinR

Postby MartinR » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:03 pm

I think most of this has been covered already, but it is always a good idea to at least have a spare battery. Batteries can be duff ones, especially the nasty cheap ones which come with Chinese AEGs. A minimal tool kit is also a good idea, I also find a roll of electrical tape can be useful.

Spare gun is also handy, you can always swap from one to another during the day if you get the chance. It is nice if your spare takes the same batteries/mags as the other one, but that is often not feasible.

If you are going to shell out on a Browning HP, you may as well buy another AEG, they aren't hugely more expensive and are vastly more useful.

Cheers
Martin
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:35 pm

That's a point about just buying another AEG. The Sten doesn't fire semi-auto and my local Skirmish site has a cqb area where only semi-auto are allowed. I had thought about using the browning for this rather than trying to mod the sten itself. I'm not sure what other period specific weapons I'd be able to use. Maybe could get away with a Thompson?

I had a great first day skirmishing at Billericay and a lot of people were interested in my gear. The only thing that ruined it all was using a rented g36 but it'll do for now.
Regards,

Ralph

MartinR

Postby MartinR » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:24 pm

The Thompson is very versatile, full and semi auto, and used by many WW2 combatant nations. I've used mine with British, German and Russian impressions, my first WW2 Airsoft gun.

MP40 is also a good solid choice, with the bonus that it will take your Sten mags. The AGM/ASG ones have a fire selector so they can be used on semi. You may also want to consider a wood stocked M14, again very versatile, can be used as-is or easily mocked up into a G43 or SVT-40 (which is what I use mine for). Or possibly an ICS Garand, its a rifle, it shoots semi-auto.

Glad you enjoyed your day.

Cheers
Martin

Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:07 am

The Sten is probably the best performing WW2 AEG. It is very accurate at good range. I personally use a Burst Wizard with mine so I can set it to single shot or 3 round burst when I plug the battery in. It helps prevent the urge to empty the mag every time you pull the trigger and also makes it useable where single shot only is required. This doesn't help if you really want to switch between full auto and semi auto quickly. The Thompson is probably the gun which will suit the largest range of WW2 impressions.
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:15 am

Looked up the burst wizard and it seems to be the thing I need for my sten. I'll only need semi auto for one short game and there's plenty of time to plug in the mosfet before hand.

I could try out the 3 round burst mode when I get my sten. Seems sensible with only mid cap magazines.

The Thompson looks like a nice gun too. It might be sensible to have a back up especially as I saw someone had to go home as his gun chrono'd too fast.
Regards,

Ralph

ww2stu
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby ww2stu » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:20 am

Granger wrote:Looked up the burst wizard and it seems to be the thing I need for my sten. I'll only need semi auto for one short game and there's plenty of time to plug in the mosfet before hand.

I could try out the 3 round burst mode when I get my sten. Seems sensible with only mid cap magazines.

The Thompson looks like a nice gun too. It might be sensible to have a back up especially as I saw someone had to go home as his gun chrono'd too fast.

I had one of the earliest burst wizards programmed into my ICS grease gun and when i changed the burst count to "1" it would not fire 1 round consitantly. Every other shot was 1 round 2 rounds 1 round 2 rounds 1 round 2 rounds. Like i said it was one of the earlier versions so they may have fixed the issue. However there burst fire when changed too 2 - 7 rds worked perfectly. In the end i took it out and learnt that i could control the Greasegun to single shot just by timing the trigger pull.

Stu
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:35 am

ww2stu wrote:
Granger wrote:Looked up the burst wizard and it seems to be the thing I need for my sten. I'll only need semi auto for one short game and there's plenty of time to plug in the mosfet before hand.

I had one of the earliest burst wizards programmed into my ICS grease gun and when i changed the burst count to "1" it would not fire 1 round consitantly. Every other shot was 1 round 2 rounds 1 round 2 rounds 1 round 2 rounds. Like i said it was one of the earlier versions so they may have fixed the issue. However there burst fire when changed too 2 - 7 rds worked perfectly. In the end i took it out and learnt that i could control the Greasegun to single shot just by timing the trigger pull.

Stu

That's a worry as if you're caught firing more than 1 round a time you can be kicked off the site. I've read reviews for the WE browning and some have said it doesn't hold up as a skirmishing gun but looks like the real thing.

I may just shell out for a TM Thompson as a back up gun. Could always get a commando jumper and cap comforter to keep it all historically accurate. Besides, the Thompson is a gorgeous looking weapon.
Regards,

Ralph

Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Ask your site about the burst wizard. I have never had issues if I explain to the site that it may do 2 shots occasionally. With an 8.4v battery it seems to be fairly reliable, but less reliable with a 9.6V battery.

Return to “New To The Forum? Please Look Here First”