Squad Report from the Day...

A 34th Inf game held at Fireball Squadron, Birmingham
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Squad Report from the Day...

Postby cjw957 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:04 pm

This is the USA Squad 1 Report, other squads / Zugs can do if you want.. though mine was going to be a quick recap it's gone on longer lol :)

Our First orders was for us to meet up with a British squad and secure an area where earlier a wounded captured German officer had been left due to a sniper, stabilise him and transport safely to prison for interrogation, We Set off with the Brits on Point and quickly go to the area and secured it, we could hear some German voices in the distance coming from two different areas but no visual sighting, The British medic stabilised the patient enough so we could transport him. Americans on point this time with the brits securing the rear and carrying the stretcher with the officer, as we moved out the German voices could be heard again and getting closer, after a quick scout ahead we could see what could be 2 German zugs operating what looked like captured US mine sweepers clearing a minefield blocking their main route. Orders were passed for a diversion for the British as we were not clear if the Germans were advancing or not, American firepower was used to pin the germans in place as the British moved out, after a handful of rounds from each American we quickly followed Behind the Brits, regrouping in a nearby village, from this point the Americans took point as we headed on a new route to the German prison, But due to certain medical issues with the German officer we had to stop start a couple of times as he seemed to have dislocated both arms and they had a tendency to flap around. We made it to the prison safely and delivered our prisoner, With both squads completing the mission we headed back to HQ via different routes , it was not long before we ran into the other American Squad in the area who had encountered a German zug , they seemed to have it all in hand, so we used smoke and covering fire to pull out and carry on back to HQ.

After a Quick breather, we had orders to go and pick up a shipment of explosives from an ammo dump, we saw a German patrol ahead of us and we went in behind them, we found our supply, which also added 3 missions to our mission supply with the option to start one straight away, we chose to head behind German lines and blow up a small water pumping station close tot here supply depot, there was still no sign of the German patrol we followed so we moved out, we made it to the Trench line close to the German supply Station, when we saw a Zug of what looked like German SS heading up from the opposite direction and had seen us , we managed to get to the supply depot and take control of that once again using smoke, fire and run like crazy lol , but we were pinned down, and when things could not look worse we saw the German Zug we had trailed earlier start to come down the Trench line we had used to make it to the supply base. It was not looking good, our only hope now was to complete the mission, while the rest of the squad provided covering fire I dashed around the back using the bracken for cover but had been seen by the SS and was pinned down and coming under heavy fire. we were truly pinned down and for the icing on the cake a 3rd zug was spotted coming up, smoke was thrown in front of the pumping station and I managed to crawl behind it and use it for cover, then I was shot as I tried to set the charge off on top while having explosive issues (neither lighter I had would work) thankfully using the trails of the smoke Private Afro managed to get to me and medic me, but now both of us were trapped behind the pumping station still not able to detonate the explosives, then by a miracle (Pedro lobbed me martins lighter) we got to light the explosive charge and crawl back to cover to make it to the rest of the squad, by which time were pinned down and had a zug at each side and in front and no way further back. A couple of Brave Germans charged our flank only to be cut down, I saw one fall less than 2 metres away cut down by my 1911 and another from within the building. But this fight was only going to end one way and it soon did , I fell first hit in the head 1 direction and in the back from another, slowly followed one by one by the rest of the squad, there may have been some German on German action as firing was still going on after we were all lying down dead.

Once Back at Hq and alive again :whistle: we decided to hit the Germans hard and took and explosive mission to blow up some of the German Anti-aircraft guns to help with the later attack on the town, we headed out and made it to the first with no sign of Gerry, we blew the first up, then the second, on the way to the third we thought we may have seen Gerry moving off into a wooded bit away from us (i suspect it was the tail end of the 3 zugs working together to raid our supply depot behind our lines) it was all very quiet we not heard anyone at all on this mission, we blew the third one and made it back to HQ still not a sound heard from anyone. Back At HQ the other American squad was grabbing a quick drink, and we decided as we had a mission together to get supplies that would be our best bet, as both squads were here and ready to go...

We headed out with Cuffs squad on point, we were aware that the 3 German zugs had been in the Area and we took a more careful and slow paced route to reach our destination of the Supply Base, after a lot of weaving in and out and under many bushs etc we made it to the base safely, it had clearly been ransacked by German forces recently , but thankfully there was still supplies for us, as this was the first time we spent any time together today we secured the area, caught up a little for 5 minutes on what had been going on snapped a couple of squad photos and then moved out on a different route, the way back went the same as the way there carefully and we managed to avoid any German contact ( maybe they were scoffing their recently acquired supplies) Once back at base, Cuffs squad wanted to attempt a mission they had just failed on before and quickly set off, so we broke for lunch and of course to check out our recently gained supplies
Attachments
mission1.jpg
BRITS PICKING UP THE WOUNDED GERMAN OFFICER
pump.jpg
ON ROUTE TO THE PUMPING STATION
pumping station.jpg
BLOWING UP THE PUMPING STATION JUST IN TIME
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: Squad Report from the Day...

Postby cjw957 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:04 pm

Attachments
cover.jpg
SETTING OFF ON THE SUPPLY RUN
US.jpg
US SQUAD
mssion supply.jpg
US SQUAD - CUFFS
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby cjw957 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:11 pm

After a nice warm lunch, and a selection of sweet supplies, it was time for new orders - being a little stuffed we chose the commando mission - not one where we take our underwear off thank god, but one where its pistols knives and grenades only, rifles and SMGs all have to be left at HQ, so we went off to hunt some Germans, now if you were not there that day i must tell you it was damm cold, so we were not sure how pistols would hold up, but only one way to find out ... we headed to a large bushy area on route to the German Hq and waited after a good 10 minute wait we saw a small group of what looked like Gebirgsjager moving far away up a trench line, so we pulled back to set an ambush, it was not long before we surprised them at close range taking at least 2 of the Zug out, we then also got engaged at distance by the Squad of SS (i think) so we pulled back a bit and hid in the bushs, waiting for them to get closer, they did, I kept them occupied straight on as 2 each of the squad crawled closer on both sides before engaging, during this fight we had to drop back from time to time to medic and swap an odd pistol mag if they still had 1 working, as we were lucky if you got just over half of the mag before venting. The fight went well, we manage to storm the farmhouse some how, and though we were all covered in at least 1 bandage and we had no working guns as we pulled out and left the germans all dead (I think ) we made a hasty retreat back to HQ with only an odd grenade to defend ourselves if we had encountered the enemy.

The German officer we had captured earlier had let slip of a sample of Italian gold coins at the German supply depot, these were from a supply that was been held in a bank behind enemy lines ...

so we set off towards the supply base, it went exactly like when we were last in this area to blow up the pumping station, as we snuck down the trench line to it and closed on the supply depot a German zug in the area saw us and engaged us, we had learnt from last time, as we returned fire, we dropped smoke for one person to get into the supply base, search it and find what we wanted and withdraw back up the trench line at speed, the German zug did not pursue us and we made it back to the HQ with no further incidents.

We thought we was on a roll, so set back out to set up an ambush on a German zug, we found our little spot to look for a german zug to ambush, we must have been hidden for about 20 minutes when we saw 1 coming right by us and looked easy pray, then we noticed it was two zugs together, and they would walk right by us, I was at the back and I had to say I thought we would take both zugs out before they knew what was happening... this was the moment it turned into a cluster feck and just before we engaged, we got spotted and some 1 (damm you !) shouted there on the left and we were all cut to shreds at rapid rate, I think we managed to take 2 maybe three before we all lay in heaps on the floor.

After a slow walk back to HQ, we thought we would try again, let's face it, it could not go as bad ... we were wrong ...

We just got back to the same spot more or less and the other US squad was in contact to our side, so perfect time to sneak around and flank the Germans, nope as we did we ran straight into another enemy zug, it was a very close toscrap I remember just after been bandaged, I asked where were the enemy, to be told right on the other side of the bush I was by, my last action before been shot again was to toss my last grenade over said bush to hear the death screams of some German's as I fell to the ground dead, it was not long before we were all dead once again. and the slow walk back to HQ.

Shattered, back aching this is where I stepped out of the game, to do the paper work and start sorting the props back in, I think there was another US mission done before the final, bit of a shoot them up finish , which if nothign else allows Pedro to get some great shots of the Germans

Cracking day, some great little scraps and great gameplay from all, Cuffs squad and the brits super fun to fight with and everyone getting into the spirit of things :)

Roll on Jan Next year for the next cold adventure ...
Attachments
DSC_0321.jpg
ON WAY TO SET THE AMBUSH UP
DSC_0396.jpg
THE AMBUSH OF SO MANY FAILS
DSC_0336.jpg
PEDRO DOES SHOOT AS WELL LOL
Tin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:04 pm

The 'Commando mission' was a highlight for me. I love using pistols, but my aging TM1911 is now starting to struggle at the best of times. In the cold, I wasn't expecting much from it at all, but I managed to get a couple of fairly long range kills with it.

And it's funny how the 'no contact missions' really take it out of you!

A cracking day !
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “The Battle for Santa Maria Oliveto - 21st Jan 2017”