Who sells the best ww2 101st paratrooper repro's

Reference information and uniform and kit Q&A
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Re: Who sells the best ww2 101st paratrooper repro's

Postby Yith » Fri May 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Ah, then you probably want to be looking at "At the Front" and "WWII Impressions".

More expensive, but generally far superior to SoF.

Even better get original. There's quite a bit of original US kit in this country if you look.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

spiers
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby spiers » Sat May 19, 2012 9:39 pm

You are best looking for original kit where you can...I thought for a second Yith meant original set of M42's and just thought christ, only if you fancy spending thousands.

The M1C helmet from SOF isn't bad although you'll have to add a leather peak strap and you are better getting one of them from WPG as the SOF one's a bloody terrible.

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=4165&bc=no

I've got 3 jumpsuits and I have to admit, the best quality one of the lot is the WPG jumpsuit so for longevity maybe that one.

Boots - Obviously if you've got the budget then Corcorans are the best thing BUT the repros are just as good quality but not made by the original distributor. I've had my repros for over 5 years and they are still excellent and not a single blister, apart from requiring new laces!

Apart from that, webbing you are better attempting to source original stuff off eBay or if and when it comes up on here. The repro stuff is no where near as good quality. I've got a war dated US webbing belt and it is great, buckle and metal work are brass. The repro ones are mostly a bit pants with bad quality metal parts particularly from SOF.

Incidentally, with all the bits and bobs you are probably not looking at much change off the £600 but with that you will have everything...then you can work out what you actually want to carry with you!
Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who will fight!
General James M. Gavin

CRY HAVOC AND LET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Sun May 20, 2012 5:04 am

If you want a pukka helmet to go with the M42 suit/Normandy period then you should think about an M2. By far the most common type worn with the M42 suit.
These guys do some of the best helmets I have seen; http://www.jmurrayinc1944.com/wwii-helm ... /m2-d-bale
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
spiers
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby spiers » Thu May 24, 2012 6:58 pm

newmonkey wrote:thanks guy really helpfull info and can i ask spiers where you got you boots from?

From SOF mate.
Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who will fight!
General James M. Gavin

Peter Graham
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby Peter Graham » Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here so sorry to butt in. By far the best repro M-42 jacket is by Buzz Rickson of Japan. They are available in the UK through Eastman leathers but cost the guts of 300 quid. I had a mate in Japan get me a used one for £100. Well worth it. I've handled originals and these are the spot on.
Health and safety kills culture
www.motorsoundsrecords.net
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Tue May 29, 2012 11:01 pm

And do they make a spot on pair of trousers to match? Are they available within a reasonable time frame and in a range of sizes to suit all who may wish to purchase? Do they offer a re-enforced version for Normandy use?
The ATF repro will give any other M42 set a run for it's money. The combination of accurate cut, colour and components is tough to beat.
The number of original M42 in this kingdom is very small, who's have you handled? I might know the tunic.
aka Stigroadie
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
Peter Graham
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby Peter Graham » Wed May 30, 2012 1:03 am

Poacher wrote:And do they make a spot on pair of trousers to match? Are they available within a reasonable time frame and in a range of sizes to suit all who may wish to purchase? Do they offer a re-enforced version for Normandy use?
The ATF repro will give any other M42 set a run for it's money. The combination of accurate cut, colour and components is tough to beat.
The number of original M42 in this kingdom is very small, who's have you handled? I might know the tunic.

Chill mate. I don't appreciate the aggressive tone. The guy asked about the best paratrooper gear and I gave my opinion. I'll answer your questions. No, they don't make a pair of trousers to "match" but I think you'll find that matching sets of jackets and trousers were not high on the 101st's priority list. I have no idea about sizes or availability. I bought my jacket second hand. They don't do a re-enforced version but do you honestly think that every paratrooper on the Normandy drop had re-enforced jackets ? I think you've been browsing your SOF catalogue for too long. Anyway, these were rigger mods. Do it yourself. As for cut, colour and components, the colour is not vital as these jackets were not all produced in the same shade plus they were washed and boiled many times so who can say what the correct colour was unless you've got an NOS original ? Cut, dunno, I'd have to compare mine to an SOF jacket. Components, Buzz Rickson use original WW2 snaps and zippers. This is the big difference. Maybe not the snaps so much but compare the zippers. If you've seen originals you know what I mean. I've never handled an original in this country but I have in the Airborne museum in St Mere Eglise and my mates jacket in Florida. Sorry, I'm coming from a collectors perspective rather than an airsofters but the guy asked about the best gear. Just my opinion.
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Wed May 30, 2012 8:08 am

Peter Graham wrote:Chill mate. I don't appreciate the aggressive tone.

I asked questions, if you interpret that as aggressive then you will struggle on forums.
Peter Graham wrote:do you honestly think that every paratrooper on the Normandy drop had re-enforced jackets ?

No, I don't, but the majority did in the 101st. To suggest an un re-enforced tunic is equally as suitable is not true.
Peter Graham wrote: so who can say what the correct colour was unless you've got an NOS original ?

But there are reasonable limits within which you must work. The pale tan of some repros is not a suitable colour. I have seen a couple of original pairs of trousers that have approached that, they are 70 years old, not the 70 weeks you might expect of a wartime pair. Clothing in training and combat doesn't last that long.
Peter Graham wrote:Just my opinion.

and these are mine.
aka Stigroadie
AFRA
better by design

Peter Graham
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby Peter Graham » Wed May 30, 2012 10:04 am

Fair enough. That's cool. :)
webby
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby webby » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:56 pm

spiers wrote:
newmonkey wrote:thanks guy really helpfull info and can i ask spiers where you got you boots from?

From SOF mate.

And from meeeeeeeeeee! :)
spiers
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby spiers » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Yes and Webbys Corcorans, but that was a matter of conserving WW2 airsoft heritage haha
General James M. Gavin

Return to “US Uniforms and Kit”