My British Kit Opinion

Reference information and uniform and kit Q&A
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

My British Kit Opinion

Postby Tommy9151 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm new to World War 2 airsoft and due to my young age haven't got the budget everybody else has, so far my British kit is as follows.

Mk.II Brodie Helmet
Denim Battledress
Basic 1937 webbing with large pack
Gaiters
Ammo Boots, Black.

I've also got a friend who would prefer to be an officer and he is also under budget restrictions, who will in the not too distant future, will probably have the following.

Officers SD Cap
Denim Battledress
Basic 1937 webbing with large pack and when available pistol pouches and holster etc.
Knee length puttees
Ammo Boots, Brown
and his own addition of a single breasted slightly RAF blue Foot Guards Greatcoat.

Give your opinions as you see fit, if you are going to be offensive then try to tone it down, any advice that could help us is very welcome.

P.S were both 16.

(Edit: P.P.S advice that my friend shouldn't be an officer won't help, I'm his closest friend and even I can't persuade him against being an officer).
Weapons:
King Arms M1928 Thompson Submachine Gun
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
fremsley
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Re: My British Kit Opinion

Postby fremsley » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Looks fine. I'm not sure about your mates puttees though - surely a pair of anklets/gaiters would suffice. Probably a good idea to get a cheapo brodie style helmet (placcy ones available on ebay - covered with a helmet net they look fine) as his SD cap may restrict him in games where he needs to be one of the footsloggers.
I'm a hero with coward's legs.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:28 pm

fremsley wrote:Looks fine. I'm not sure about your mates puttees though - surely a pair of anklets/gaiters would suffice. Probably a good idea to get a cheapo brodie style helmet (placcy ones available on ebay - covered with a helmet net they look fine) as his SD cap may restrict him in games where he needs to be one of the footsloggers.

Thanks for the input, my friend didn't like the look of the gaiters so I went hunting and found this picture of World War 2 Officers in both "walking out" dress and "battle order" dress, the one on the left is walking out and the one on the right is battle order, the link to the forums it's on is here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... itish-Army

Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Puttees would be worn with Service Dress (SD) which is what the picture shows, your friends kit list doesn't have this it has Battle Dress (BD) which would be worn with gaiters/anklets, also as an officer he should really be wearing wool BDs not denim, don't forget denim BD's are primarily working overalls plus officers would be expected to maintain a high level of turnout regardless of where they are be it in the field or in barracks so denims are unlikely, except maybe in Italy where just about anything seemed to go.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
dadio
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby dadio » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:22 pm

what you have there kit wise will be fine for most entry level games or at least summer time battles, relatively cheep 49 pattern wool bd is still about ,try sabre sales.the 49 pattern can be modified to look right or worn as is for the most part.but really you are hot to trot so get stuck in and book onto a game ,if you dont have a gun yet or are stuck with the 2 tone option then dont forget that loads of us are happy to loan kit on th you bend it you mend it basis .
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Further to my previous post, I've had a look through my reference books and the general opinion is that officers mostly didn't wear SD caps with BDs it would more likely be a beret or a FS(field service) cap, in a combat situation they would have worn a helmet the same as the ORs (other ranks)

From a game point of view organisers prefer players not to wear peaked caps as they generally are used to identify the organisers and commanders
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks Dadio and Pete_59, I'll inform my friend of all this, I'll see what I can do about wool BD, the mean concern is whether it can be machine washed or dry clean only, no body on this earth has the time or money for that and I'll see about him getting alternative head wear for the reasons described.
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Pete_59 wrote:Puttees would be worn with Service Dress (SD).

Could service dress be worn into battle?

(Sorry if this is a very stupid question, I'm trying my best to satisfy all sides.)
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
rammix
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby rammix » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Tommy9151 wrote:
fremsley wrote:Looks fine. I'm not sure about your mates puttees though - surely a pair of anklets/gaiters would suffice. Probably a good idea to get a cheapo brodie style helmet (placcy ones available on ebay - covered with a helmet net they look fine) as his SD cap may restrict him in games where he needs to be one of the footsloggers.

Thanks for the input, my friend didn't like the look of the gaiters so I went hunting and found this picture of World War 2 Officers in both "walking out" dress and "battle order" dress, the one on the left is walking out and the one on the right is battle order, the link to the forums it's on is here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... itish-Army

the fella in the gaiters is a good friend of mine :good:
[url="http://www.ukapu.org.uk"]Image[/url]

Weapons
Asia Electric Guns MP44
AGM MP40
K98/VSR
Dboys Gas K98
AGM MKII Sten
TM Thompson M1A1
KA Thompson 1928
Tercel 1911
Maruzen P38
WE P08 Luger 4"
WE P08 Luger 6"
S&T PPSH41
ACM Walther PPK
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:50 pm

rammix wrote:the fella in the gaiters is a good friend of mine :good:

Good to hear, I'm grateful that he helps make these uniform guides.
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Tommy9151 wrote:
Pete_59 wrote:Puttees would be worn with Service Dress (SD).

Could service dress be worn into battle?

(Sorry if this is a very stupid question, I'm trying my best to satisfy all sides.)

Yes I suppose it could. but if it was done it would have been early in the war, I've not seen any pictures of officers wearing SDs in a combat situation.

I would suggest that your friend has a look around for some pattern 49 BDs as they look a lot like officer modified pattern 37/40 and you can still get the smaller sizes relativelly cheaply, he'll also need a suitable shirt & tie as that was part of an officers dress code, if he gets a beret or FS cap he'll probably save himself £30+ as an SD cap is going to cost in the region of £50, as for gaiters verses puttees he could get the short puttees as they wouldn't look so much out of place as the long ones. I wouldn't bother getting a large pack as they generally weren't carried, they would stay with the unit transport, anything that needed to be readily available would be carried in the small pack, also on a practical note they are very unweildly to carry, your friend also needs to consider whether he's going to put together an officers webbing set as it;s quite different from an ORs webbing.

As for your kit, as dadio says it's good enough for an event, if there is anything you're short of you'll find that people are more than happy to lend out kit and guns on a 'you bend it, you mend it' basis, on that note do you have a water bottle? if not you really do need to ensure you've got some way of carrying water, at the Green Back game it was so hot I got through nearly 4 litres of water, even when it's cool you need to keep your fluids up otherwise you'll dehydrate which I can tell you from experience is not a good thing.
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Pete_59 wrote:Yes I suppose it could. but if it was done it would have been early in the war, I've not seen any pictures of officers wearing SDs in a combat situation.

I would suggest that your friend has a look around for some pattern 49 BDs as they look a lot like officer modified pattern 37/40 and you can still get the smaller sizes relativelly cheaply, he'll also need a suitable shirt & tie as that was part of an officers dress code, if he gets a beret or FS cap he'll probably save himself £30+ as an SD cap is going to cost in the region of £50, as for gaiters verses puttees he could get the short puttees as they wouldn't look so much out of place as the long ones. I wouldn't bother getting a large pack as they generally weren't carried, they would stay with the unit transport, anything that needed to be readily available would be carried in the small pack, also on a practical note they are very unweildly to carry, your friend also needs to consider whether he's going to put together an officers webbing set as it;s quite different from an ORs webbing.

As for your kit, as dadio says it's good enough for an event, if there is anything you're short of you'll find that people are more than happy to lend out kit and guns on a 'you bend it, you mend it' basis, on that note do you have a water bottle? if not you really do need to ensure you've got some way of carrying water, at the Green Back game it was so hot I got through nearly 4 litres of water, even when it's cool you need to keep your fluids up otherwise you'll dehydrate which I can tell you from experience is not a good thing.

We're already working on putting his webbing together, it's based on Officer Webbing Pattern 37, it consists of the following:

Webbing Belt, Cross straps, water bottle carrier, 2 browning pistol mag pouches, a pistol holster and a binocular case.

As for me, the webbing set that I've ordered comes with a water bottle carrier which I'll get a water bottle for in the near future.

Also, I've persuaded him to not get a peaked cap, he's gone for a basic black beret, as for the puttees, he'd prefer to keep them, if there's anything that can be suggested it would be helpful.

(Edit: Would it be possible to position all of the above kit that would go on a cross strap arrangement for P37 Officer Webbing onto a "Service Dress webbing belt/Sam Browne" arrangement to keep with the fact that officers wearing service dress wouldn't wear that?

Sorry if this is becoming ridiculous...)
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
fremsley
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby fremsley » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:05 pm

Sam Bowne only goes with SD. P37 is for BD. I doubt they were ever interchanged. To me puttees with any BD do not look right. I stared an officers impression with denim as they were the cheapest uniform option, but I did invest in some very cheap gaiters - only a fiver or so.
I'm a hero with coward's legs.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
CHThree
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby CHThree » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Tommy9151 wrote:Thanks Dadio and Pete_59, I'll inform my friend of all this, I'll see what I can do about wool BD, the mean concern is whether it can be machine washed or dry clean only, no body on this earth has the time or money for that and I'll see about him getting alternative head wear for the reasons described.

You shouldn't need to wash/dry clean wool BD, if it gets muddy just let it dry and brush it off and it looks as good as new. If you do feel the need to machine wash it use a cold wool cycle only and even then you might well get some shrinkage.
ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:45 pm

fremsley wrote:Sam Bowne only goes with SD. P37 is for BD. I doubt they were ever interchanged. To me puttees with any BD do not look right. I stared an officers impression with denim as they were the cheapest uniform option, but I did invest in some very cheap gaiters - only a fiver or so.

I'm sorry that you misunderstood I didn't phrase it correctly, what I meant was what if he applied all the equipment to a Sam Browne arrangement if my friend used SD instead of BD.
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage

Return to “British Uniforms and Kit”