My British Kit Opinion

Reference information and uniform and kit Q&A
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My British Kit Opinion

Postby Tommy9151 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:46 pm

CHThree wrote:
Tommy9151 wrote:Thanks Dadio and Pete_59, I'll inform my friend of all this, I'll see what I can do about wool BD, the mean concern is whether it can be machine washed or dry clean only, no body on this earth has the time or money for that and I'll see about him getting alternative head wear for the reasons described.

You shouldn't need to wash/dry clean wool BD, if it gets muddy just let it dry and brush it off and it looks as good as new. If you do feel the need to machine wash it use a cold wool cycle only and even then you might well get some shrinkage.

You're a complete genius!
Weapons:
King Arms M1928 Thompson Submachine Gun
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:50 am

What colour beret would an officer have, I have the feeling that black might mean he's a tankie instead of an officer...
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
fremsley
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby fremsley » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:06 am

Black will be fine and can cost very little. Tankie officers used them as well i believe, but a nice tin or plastic lid covers all ranks.
I'm a hero with coward's legs.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:09 am

fremsley wrote:Black will be fine and can cost very little. Tankie officers used them as well i believe, but a nice tin or plastic lid covers all ranks.

Thanks for clearing that up Fremsley, I'm very grateful for the help.
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:34 am

Officers would wear the same colour beret as their men and that would be determined by what type of unit they were; Black - armoured units; Maroon - Airborne; Green - Commando/Special Services; Khaki - Reconnaissance Corps, there are a number of others but they're the main ones.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ramsay00105
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Ramsay00105 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Looking at Steve's guide again I think I understand some of the confusion.
The officers uniform's shewn really apply to WWII only up to the end of 1940 for the battle order of SD. The walking out SD is worn all through the war but only in some rear areas or on leave. The picture coming from the pre war, first year part of the guide.
The long puttees are not worn with battledress. Short puttees (around the ankle only) are worn by some officers and units. A black beret is from the armoured corps and you would need a cap badge to suit. A helmet would be worn in action.
If your friend can specify when and what unit he wants to depict we can help with more detail.
15 Plt. C Coy 2 Batt. S STAFFORDS 1st Airlanding Brigade 1st Airborne Division
The Hallamshire Battalion Y&L Regiment 146 Infantry Brigade 49 Inf Division

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Okay, in summary, my friend wishes to be a generic officer, that can wear Long puttees as he is not too keen on wearing gaiters or the short puttees, that's pretty much it, a generic officer that can wear long puttees.
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Obviously your friend can wear what he wants, it's his money and his choise, what he'll have to accept is that it's not what an officer would have worn, I'm not trying to be negative just trying to give an accurate picture of what a WW2 officer would have worn if your friend chooses to do his own thing them thats up to him.
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Pete_59 wrote:Obviously your friend can wear what he wants, it's his money and his choise, what he'll have to accept is that it's not what an officer would have worn, I'm not trying to be negative just trying to give an accurate picture of what a WW2 officer would have worn if your friend chooses to do his own thing them thats up to him.

I understand what your saying, my question is would it be allowed in WW2 games... If it can then everything is just dandy for me.
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:39 pm

The level of kit accuracy will vary from game to game but in general what you've got will be fine, have a look at the picture threads of previous events and that'll give you an idea of kit being worn, the key thing is to get to an event as that's what this is all about, actually getting out there and taking part, I notice that you are both 16 unfortunately because of legal and insurance issues a lot of games are 18+ however you'll be ok to attend Gunman games the next one being the Gothic Line in November, the good thing with Gunman is that he has uniforms & kit to loan out as well as WW2 guns, although you will also find that lots of people will happily lend stuff on a 'you bend it you mend it' basis. So don't get to hung up on being super accurate just get out there and play.
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Pete_59 wrote:The level of kit accuracy will vary from game to game but in general what you've got will be fine, have a look at the picture threads of previous events and that'll give you an idea of kit being worn, the key thing is to get to an event as that's what this is all about, actually getting out there and taking part, I notice that you are both 16 unfortunately because of legal and insurance issues a lot of games are 18+ however you'll be ok to attend Gunman games the next one being the Gothic Line in November, the good thing with Gunman is that he has uniforms & kit to loan out as well as WW2 guns, although you will also find that lots of people will happily lend stuff on a 'you bend it you mend it' basis. So don't get to hung up on being super accurate just get out there and play.

Pete_59, thank you, now that this has all been cleared up we can put this thread to bed, it'll be an honour to meet you all in the future.
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Devonshire Trooper
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Devonshire Trooper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 am

rammix wrote:
Tommy9151 wrote:
fremsley wrote:Looks fine. I'm not sure about your mates puttees though - surely a pair of anklets/gaiters would suffice. Probably a good idea to get a cheapo brodie style helmet (placcy ones available on ebay - covered with a helmet net they look fine) as his SD cap may restrict him in games where he needs to be one of the footsloggers.

Thanks for the input, my friend didn't like the look of the gaiters so I went hunting and found this picture of World War 2 Officers in both "walking out" dress and "battle order" dress, the one on the left is walking out and the one on the right is battle order, the link to the forums it's on is here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... itish-Army

the fella in the gaiters is a good friend of mine :good:

Is that Ade? I can't tell, lol.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:10 pm

To be honest, your friend would be a lot better dropping the officer idea altogether.

Normally the only officers allowed at games will be the organisers, so he'd need Other Ranks kit anyway.

Also getting officer kit right will cost quite a bit more than getting ORs kit.

BTW, the chap on the left of the pic is a good friend of mine, heh.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:14 pm

I can't persuade my friend otherwise, and his kit was cheaper than mine, his will cost £185 and the vast majority of it is new, mine cost over £200 and mines OR.
Weapons:
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Tommy9151 wrote: so I went hunting and found this picture of World War 2 Officers

I think the intention is that these are pre-war officers looking at the kit and insignia.
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

Return to “British Uniforms and Kit”