Paras - Uniform, Kit and other Particulars

Reference information and uniform and kit Q&A
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Paras - Uniform, Kit and other Particulars

Postby MartinR » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:12 pm

The only optional bits were what the CSM said were optional. IRL you'd probably want something to drink, and something to dig holes in the ground with. As Allenby says, for Airsoft, you need something to drink, often quite a lot of stuff to drink if it is hot and you are out all day.

You can jam a ton of stuff in a small pack, if you are running out of storage space.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:48 pm

I didn't use my small pack today but I kept the water bottle and trenching tool. The bottle sure came in use and I certainly felt the part. Next up I need to get is the toggle rope.

I think I have all the accessories mentioned in this thread, apart from said toggle rope. The respirator bag didn't see use today but I'm planning on using that to carry bb's, batteries and a speed loader for the sten when I eventually get it. The small pack I figure I could use for the things that I don't need to get to quickly or do things I do not need during combat, e. g. Snacks, keys. Any tips in this area are very welcome.
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:37 pm

With my British kit I usually end up with:

left pouch: a couple of spare mags, maybe a couple of pyros
right pouch: BBs, speedloader, maybe a pyro, spare battery
dressing pocket: bandages
top right hand jacket pocket: notebook, gumshield
lightweight respirator bag: extra water, energy bars, fruit & nut, camera
small pack: rain cape, car keys, phone, wallet, tools, maybe spare water, lunch (in mess tins)

if you are wearing a Denison you have lots of huge pockets to put things in.
You don't need loads of BBs for WW2 games, but for regular Airsoft you may need more mags/ammo/pyro.

Slightly different pouch combo if using a rifle.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:42 pm

A Mk3 pouch will hold 6 Sten mags (You may need to dampen it and stretch it). 2nd pouch is bb's and pyros. Speedloader is top pocket.
Heres an idea: Carry lunch in the gas mask bag and fill the backpack with a block of foam. At lunch you then have a handy cushion. :good:
I would do this but I tend to travel at least part way to games by train and need the carrying space.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:43 am

That's good advice there. Thanks guys.

It'll be a while till I get my UKARA but I can practice with the setup while renting.
Left pouch: mags
Right pouch: bb's, pyro and battery
Resp bag: lunch
Small pack: tools and accessories
Denison: speed loader and map
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RangerEuan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RangerEuan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:38 am

Or you could get the original sten mag pouches! Just picked up a nice 41/42 dated set myself..has 2 internal dividers in each one to hold 3 sten mags in each. Then use a bandolier ;) will post some photos up later!

Regards

Euan
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:33 pm

RangerEuan wrote:Or you could get the original sten mag pouches! Just picked up a nice 41/42 dated set myself..has 2 internal dividers in each one to hold 3 sten mags in each. Then use a bandolier ;) will post some photos up later!

Regards

Euan

I bought a pack of King arms sten magazines but I can only seem to fit 4 in a universal pouch. Looks like it needs stretching.

How do you find the bandolier? Does it get in the way at all? I do actually have one but I always assumed it would be awkward to wear.
Regards,

Ralph

Allenby
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Allenby » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Granger wrote:
RangerEuan wrote:Or you could get the original sten mag pouches! Just picked up a nice 41/42 dated set myself..has 2 internal dividers in each one to hold 3 sten mags in each. Then use a bandolier ;) will post some photos up later!

Regards

Euan

I bought a pack of King arms sten magazines but I can only seem to fit 4 in a universal pouch. Looks like it needs stretching.

How do you find the bandolier? Does it get in the way at all? I do actually have one but I always assumed it would be awkward to wear.

Don't forget ammo limits for WW2 games; I think it's 300 rounds at a lot of sites so having seven or eight mags on you may not be necessary. Four spares and one in the gun doesn't sound bad to me.

Not that I ever get through 10 rounds before I'm shot. :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Just scrimmed up my helmet. What do you guys think? Overdone or is it OK?
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1415110614602.jpeg
uploadfromtaptalk1415110614602.jpeg (324.55 KiB) Viewed 613 times
Regards,

Ralph

Iceman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Iceman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:24 pm

Umm, isn't that my helmet from a few pages back?
Why do you always carry that umbrella?
-Bad memory. Never could remember the password. Knew no Jerry would carry one. Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.
A bridge too far
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Iceman wrote:Umm, isn't that my helmet from a few pages back?

You're totally right! I uploaded the wrong picture as it turns out we have similar flooring. Sorry about that mate.

Here's my helmet
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1415112031728.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1415112031728.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Regards,

Ralph

Iceman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Iceman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:49 pm

No worries mate, just did a double take because it was so similar, then noticed the edge of my carpet :giggle: .

Most of the period pics I've now looked at have less scrim than you and me (and you seem to have less than me), but I doubt it was possible for individuals to have more. And like the others have said, it comes off when you play wearing the helmet. More camouflage is always better in my view.
-Bad memory. Never could remember the password. Knew no Jerry would carry one. Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.
A bridge too far
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:41 pm

I found a lot of pictures with varying amounts of scrim so I just went with what I thought looked OK. Will wet the material now so I can get it fraying nicely. Did you find spraying it with water worked well for you?
Regards,

Ralph

Iceman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Iceman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Was not too pleased with the results, I think the swirling is better (I did it afterwards). They need to be really wet to get the effect. I suppose you could spray it to be more wet.
A bridge too far
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:36 pm

I've done the deed (with a bucket) and I think it looks better already. Now to let it dry and stop the kids from pulling at it. Will post results when ready.

Next thing on the list is to sew para wings on the smock.
Regards,

Ralph

Return to “British Uniforms and Kit”