Re: Paras - Uniform, Kit and other Particulars

Postby richardtl » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:36 am

Here is something I found of interest,

Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:42 pm

Nice little find. How much did it set you back?
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
richardtl
First Posting
First Posting

Postby richardtl » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:00 pm

A little too much, equivalent of GBP100. Not something you would find often in south Africa, plus if I brought one in I would alone pay about GBP50 or more in shipping and taxes.
Kendo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kendo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:31 pm

Does anyone know if the hessian strips were attached to the Para lid with string or passed through the holes in the netting? I've always assumed the latter, but it never quite matches the 'look' of the period photos I've seen, and frequently just falls apart when it's passed through.

The hessian in the pictures appears to sit on top of the netting in clumps, and I thought that tying it on would achieve the same effect. Any ideas?
'ABSIT OMEN'
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:57 pm

The camouflage is there to break up the outline of your head/helmet, not for decoration. So, randomness is good, clumping is good, looking different to the next man is good and fixing in anyway practical to stop it coming off in use is good too. If you are jumping out of a plane then firmly tying on is an excellent idea, as is adding natural foliage once you have landed, should conditions dictate.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
McVickers
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby McVickers » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:31 pm

richardtl wrote:A little too much, equivalent of GBP100.

What??? That's a fantastic price for a replica Mk1 para helmet!!!
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

MartinR

Postby MartinR » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:46 am

Kendo wrote:Does anyone know if the hessian strips were attached to the Para lid with string or passed through the holes in the netting? I've always assumed the latter, but it never quite matches the 'look' of the period photos I've seen, and frequently just falls apart when it's passed through.

The hessian in the pictures appears to sit on top of the netting in clumps, and I thought that tying it on would achieve the same effect. Any ideas?

As Chommers says, random is good.

A good, secure method is to pass the scrim strips through the net holes and then tie a knot in the scrim itself. It can then stick up and fray to its hearts content without falling out. I wouldn't muck around with bits of string. If you are just going to pass it through the holes, you need a fairly long strip and to put it in and out of several holes (this is commonly seen on Mark II helmets).

Ideally you'd decorate the helmet with local foliage as well to turn it into the sort of head shrubbery so beloved of the BAOR (and being careful to have lots hanging over the edge of he helmet to obscure the shadow under the rim).

BAOR Mark Vs were usually done permanently as head shrubbery using lots and lots and lots of scrim over netting over hessian.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kendo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kendo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Cheers for the responses regarding the helmet scrim, lads. I assure you, making it look as messy as possible is the idea, I was just having trouble passing it through the narrow gauge netting without it falling to bits!
'ABSIT OMEN'
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:44 pm

I roll it into a sort of tube to push it through, but yes, it does have a tendency to fall to bits as you do it.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Iceman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Iceman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:08 pm

Maybe a dumb question, but better safe than sorry: MK1 leather chinstrap, good to go on the MK2-helmet?
Why do you always carry that umbrella?
-Bad memory. Never could remember the password. Knew no Jerry would carry one. Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.
A bridge too far
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:05 am

Iceman wrote:Maybe a dumb question, but better safe than sorry: MK1 leather chinstrap, good to go on the MK2-helmet?

Yes, perfectly fine. Preferred in fact, as the helmet will be usable for more periods throughout the war.
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Iceman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Iceman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 am

Thought so, but good to ask it before ordering from cost a fortune. Thanks
-Bad memory. Never could remember the password. Knew no Jerry would carry one. Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.
A bridge too far
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Be aware that the fittings on the Mk1 and Mk2 are different, the Mk1 leather straps are held in place by screws through the shell and straps; whereas the Mk2 has loops fitted to the shell which you use to attach the straps, I'm not sure if these are readily removable.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Iceman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Iceman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Oh, I thought it was just remove straps, and plug in new ones :|
A bridge too far
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:08 pm

Just had a look at the mk2 on SOF it looks like they are using the same attachment points and possibly the same method of attachement, i.e. brass bolts, so depending on where you got your helmet from you may be ok at worst you might need slightly longer bolts

I'd check your helmet to see how the loops that hold the mk2 strap are fitted if it's with removable bolts then you should be ok to do the swap.

Return to “British Uniforms and Kit”