British kit questions

Reference information and uniform and kit Q&A
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: British kit questions

Postby MartinR » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:36 am

I guess the only way to achieve it is going to be to blanco everything in either 'sand' or 'natural webbing' blanco from SOF.

I just have a set of unblancoed webbing for use in Italy/desert type settings. I'm certainly not going to scrub the blanco off it. The small pack is one of those SOF repros as things as decent original unblancoed small packs are as rare as hens teeth these days. It isn't bad although the material is a bit wierd compared to original stuff.

McV will now no doubt find a crate full of unissued small packs at a car boot sale...

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:11 pm

MartinR wrote:McV will now no doubt find a crate full of unissued small packs at a car boot sale...

Hehe, no, but I did keep banging on about W S Supplies having unissed dated ones for £7 for ages, and only 2 people took me up on the offer... :whistle:

I do have a nice little stash of unissued or lightly used unblanco'd small packs which I'd be happy to lend a few of the lightly-used ones out at games?
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Iceman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Iceman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:25 pm

What sort of buttons would british greatcoats have? Is there a special kind/name? Ebays WW2 button selection is quite large :shock:
Why do you always carry that umbrella?
-Bad memory. Never could remember the password. Knew no Jerry would carry one. Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.
A bridge too far
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:05 pm

In terms of the greatcoat, you'd best advised to purchase General Service brass buttons. Such as these:

Large buttons, 24mm in diameter. If I remember correctly, they also made regiment specific buttons too, since my greatcoat is buttoned with Royal Marine ones, as for the shoulders, you'll need a smaller variant.
Weapons:
King Arms M1928 Thompson Submachine Gun
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:12 pm

The green plastic ones are less work and better camo....
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
Tommy9151
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tommy9151 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Poacher wrote:The green plastic ones are less work and better camo....

There's more than just the delicious brass!? :shock:
Weapons:
King Arms M1928 Thompson Submachine Gun
AGM Sten Mk.II
CYMA M1911 EAP

ImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:52 pm

My plan was to switch to 2 sets of webbing, blanco'd for British and unblanco'd for Aussie. I would then use my small pack for British and my large pack for Aussie. The cheapest way to get a 2nd set of webbing seemed to be the sets of green webbing from Epicmilitaria.com so my best bet was to deblanco my current webbing. This has the bonus of making my British gear a complete separate set, which may be handy now I have some other guys from Bristol planning to join us.
The next part of my plan is then to alter a 5x30 round thompson pouch to make an Aussie Owen gun pouch in place of the left ammo pouch. I may possibly add a couple of extra pouches to the sides of the large pack and put a Red Ensign in one of them. My thinking is that if I carry a large pack, I will want to dump it at the respawn point so why not use it as the respawn point and for a change have the correct flag for commonwealth troops to respawn at. It will also make it less confusing when there is more than one British squad.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Tommy9151 wrote:
Poacher wrote:The green plastic ones are less work and better camo....

There's more than just the delicious brass!? :shock:

There's a batch of the plastic ones on Ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-WW2-Genera ... 2a48be56e6
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Iceman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Iceman » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Were the plastic ones as common (or more) then?
Why do you always carry that umbrella?
-Bad memory. Never could remember the password. Knew no Jerry would carry one. Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.
A bridge too far
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Yes, they were pretty common from '43 onwards. They were introduced as an economy issue to save valuable brass which could instead be used for bullet and shell cases.
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “British Uniforms and Kit”