Strapping Guy

Reference information and uniform and kit Q&A
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Strapping Guy

Postby Granger » Sun May 10, 2015 1:32 pm

Happy Sunday everyone!

I've had this haversack lying around for a while (use it to store my Bolt Action rulebooks) and I figure I'll make some use of it for my upcoming chindit impression. I'm just not sure on how I attack the straps to the bag as I was planning on wearing it over my shoulders like a rucksack.

uploadfromtaptalk1431264582241.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1431264582241.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

There isn't a buckle on the bottom of the bag, like with the small pack, and am wondering if I need a different pair of straps or whether there's a certain buckle I need to buy.

uploadfromtaptalk1431264595260.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1431264595260.jpg (70.58 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

Any help is appreciated!
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Re: Strapping Guy

Postby Moss » Sun May 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Looks like an 08/37 pattern large pack to me. I know that there's a way to wear L-straps with one. However, as I don't own one, I'm not sure exactly how this would be done. Also, in most photos I've seen of then in use, they always have a pair of utility straps crossed over the front. They could maybe have something to do with how the L-straps are attached? Maybe karkeeweb.com has the answer?
ImageImageImageImage
McVickers
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby McVickers » Sun May 10, 2015 7:28 pm

To use a large pack correctly (to wear it like a small pack) with L-straps, you will also need two utility straps - these are approx 2' long 1" wide webbing straps with a tab on one end and a buckle on the other.

The tab of a strap gets passed through the fabric loop on the large packs (one on each side), with the straps then being crossed over each other and the tabbed ends secured into the 1" buckles mounted next to the 2" wide shoulder attachment strap tabs. You will them find that the buckles on the utility straps now become the lower mounting points for the L-straps!

Also, as a random note, your large pack looks to be an Indian manufacture one (stripy, coarser, softer web material), which is ideal for a chindit loadout!

Last edited by McVickers on Tue May 12, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Sun May 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Ah right I see now! Are these the chaps I'm needing to get? http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/1937-utility-straps-x-2-product,1297

That's a bonus about it being Indian made. Very happy with that. Just need to get some Indian ammo pouches to sew onto the sides and it'll be ready.
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:37 am

That's the ones. Often called blanket straps.
Effectively they extend the L straps, so they go through the loops at the bottom and cross over the pack and attach to the buckles at the top of the pack. They allow items to be strapped to the outside of the pack (a blanket perhaps). I often have my brodie helmet attached to my pack by having the chin strap secured by the buckles holding the flap closed and then the blanket straps hold the helmet in place.
ImageBattle order/Marching order

A little tip: Get an inflatable pillow to put inside it. This prevents you needing to carry lots of heavy gear to make it look full. It also makes it quite comfortable to wear.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Mon May 11, 2015 11:14 am

I remember you wearing your at Road to Rome. Were you allowed 2 bandages for technically wearing a steel helmet in the end?

I'll get a pair of those straps and be sure to stuff it with something light and airy. An inflatable pillow certainly sounds a lot less messy than a block of polystyrene!

Thanks for all the help!
Regards,

Ralph

McVickers

Postby McVickers » Mon May 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Granger wrote:Ah right I see now! Are these the chaps I'm needing to get? http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/1937-utility-straps-x-2-product,1297

Yup, they're the ones, but SoF are bloody expensive for them!
Ideally you're looking to pay 0.50p - £1 per strap...
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Mon May 11, 2015 6:09 pm

I found some straps on eBay for £2 so I'll go down that route. Good old SOF.
Regards,

Ralph

BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Mon May 11, 2015 6:45 pm

Granger wrote:I found some straps on eBay for £2 so I'll go down that route. Good old SOF.

Soldier of Fortune = Cost a Fortune
I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Mon May 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Yeah I realised that after I bought my airborne gear from them. :whistle:

At least they have good customer service.
Regards,

Ralph

Colonel Tigh117
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Colonel Tigh117 » Mon May 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Unlike airsoft world.............

Dont get me started, I find epic militia to be one of the best, but I guess it all comes down to preference, having a bad experience with a good retailer will still put you off.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Mon May 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Granger wrote:Yeah I realised that after I bought my airborne gear from them. :whistle:

At least they have good customer service.

Yep, in fairness I actualy use SoF a fair bit. The prices are the only thing I can complain about :wink:
I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImage
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Mon May 11, 2015 7:10 pm

At least SOF are reliable and always deliver quickly. EBay can be a bit hit and miss, apart from the Epic Militaria shop. All the ease of the eBay app with a seller you can trust.

Jeebus, I sound like a salesman!

Colonel Tigh117 wrote:Unlike airsoft world.............

Funny thing about them is that they sent the gun to you really quick... It was just the wrong one! [emoji1]
Regards,

Ralph

Colonel Tigh117
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Colonel Tigh117 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:19 pm

I was just unlucky with airsoft world, and in hindsight perhaps I would of been more patient.........prehaps, as for sof or epic, ive always received good quality goods from them within a few days, when I started put with my German kit I did use ebay, the old saying " you get what you pay for" is very true in this case, like I say tho it all does come down to preference.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Photo of the large pack in use at the weekend.
And how to carry it on a bike :D

I do agree that SoF are expensive for certain things. Orders arrive quickly though and the quality can't be faulted. Epic Militaria are cheaper but less likely to have everything you want and sometimes the quality can be a bit lacking.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “British Uniforms and Kit”