Home Guard Group?

ww2stu
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: Home Guard Group?

Postby ww2stu » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:18 pm

If people were still thinking about possibly running a "home guard" event of some description you could do it "loosely based" on the Occupation of Channel Islands.

The Home Guard was organised the same year as the invasion so there might of possibly been some there. Although i couldnt find an exact date when the homeguard was formed? If such a thing excists? But in real terms all troops and some Civ's were evacuated from the island before the germans landed.

Just an idea dont flame to much :oops:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BedsnHerts
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby BedsnHerts » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:44 pm

chief chinthe wrote:As always, Robson Green had a sing song!

Good grief. I can imagine the Producer / Agent meetings

Ag: Robson thinks a little musical number might be nice somewhere in the script...

Pr: But it's a gritty drama about a man wrestling with his own conscience in a time of war and suffering.

Ag: He's not doing it unless he can sing.

Pr: sigh. OK then.
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Pr: Hmm... wonder what Jimmy Nail's up to these days..?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Hurrah
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hurrah » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:53 pm

ww2stu wrote:If people were still thinking about possibly running a "home guard" event of some description you could do it "loosely based" on the Occupation of Channel Islands.

The Home Guard was organised the same year as the invasion so there might of possibly been some there. Although i couldnt find an exact date when the homeguard was formed? If such a thing excists? But in real terms all troops and some Civ's were evacuated from the island before the germans landed.

Just an idea dont flame to much :oops:

Time line don't quite work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Guard_%28United_Kingdom%29

Radio broadcast, May 14th. Anthony Eden calls for volunteers to join the "Local Defense Volunteers"
Made legal on the 17th.
June 30th, Germans occupation of the channel islands start.
July 22nd, announced that the new name will be "Home Guard" and promise of the issue of uniforms and weapons formally made.

Mind you, little things like the time line not quite working has never stopped us. 2 possible changes,

Lets say the army backs such a force from the start as a way of liberating combat trained troops from rear area protection, airfield defense, observer work etc.

If the islands were not evacuated of troops, and a stand was made, you could easily see them receiving assistance from the locals weather they wanted it or not.

May I offer the following as a potential game source:-

http://www.islandfarm.fsnet.co.uk/

To the tune of "Mademoiselle from Armentières"

Napoleons army ran away, As you do
The guard stood firm for Frances Pride, As you do
They said the guard will stand and die
But we heard what their Colonel cried
It wasn't pretty I tell you.

ImageImageImageImage
Resistance is fertile
Special Department.
First Posting
First Posting

Postby Special Department. » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Comrades,
If you are looking for a story line for a HG Gig and if you have to have "Septic Tanks" with you, during the build up to the Invasion of Normandy the HG were improved and increasing armed as there was a possible German spoiling attack in the offing.
Without Yanks, then you can hunt down Nazi paratroopers.

:D
fremsley
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby fremsley » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:18 pm

I suppose something akin to the disaster at Slapton Sands if stretched may suffice?

http://www.shermantank.co.uk/

Personally, I still like the idea of defending against the invader - battle for the GHQ line perhaps.
I'm a hero with coward's legs.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stof
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby stof » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:09 am

To be honest any future Home Guard game has to be fictional and along the lines of Sealion or The Eagle Has Landed to have any sort of credibility with the Brits dug in and the Germans invading.The best we are likely to do is repeat a game that has already been played but in a different venue, and there are a lot of more realistic scenarios we can play without repeating ourselves when all we need is to rebadge or rather not badge at all and play line infantry .Very few of us have Home Guard webbing and its much easier to use standard 37 pattern,the sheer amount of scenarios post D Day allow everyone to portray pretty well whatever their favourite unit is without major expense.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:58 am

Escape and invasion for those nasty, nasty Luftwaffe pilots...

Homeguard chasing them of course!

Ideal and realistic. :)
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

stof
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby stof » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:20 pm

The "Few" having brought down an entire squadron en masse :lol:

Gadge
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Gadge » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:46 pm

I dunno, whats the crew of a Heinkell 111, four, five?

Be a credible enough game with eight to ten pilots and 20 home guard/policemen/farmers with pitchforks :)

But I totally see your point Sandy :)

With regards to the bino/bar pouch thing.

Out of interest has anyone ever *seen* a set of HG BAR pouches for sale?

In twenty years of collecting militaria and 10 years of re-enacting with British kit I've never seen a pair let alone a pair for sale.

I'd hazzard a guess they are fairly rare beasts and quite likely were still reasonably rare in the late 60s when Dads Army was filmed.

I'm sure the chaps *knew* they were wrong but bino pouches would have been very cheap and easy to get hold of them (some units were stil being issued 37 patter in the 60s and nearly every cadet force was) whereas 1930s BAR pouches phased out in the mid 40s would still be quite tricky i'd speculate.
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Gadge, check out the HG set on this page...
http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/colle ... ndine.html

Of course I've not actually seen the real thing either... lol.

scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:56 pm

i think this thread is a complete waste of time. people a wracking there brains to try to shoe-horn HG into some sort of battle scenario.

why not do volksturm? they did fight, and there is a russian enemy.
seems daft to me to put together an impression then have to engineer games to fit around it. go brit line infantry ,endless games. go volksturm, as many games as you like.

go home guard..... fantasy.
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Yith wrote:Gadge, check out the HG set on this page...
http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/colle ... ndine.html

Of course I've not actually seen the real thing either... lol.

My point *exactly* Rich, I'm an avid collector, you're more so than me and you've never come across a pair.

So I personally think its less 'shit research' and more 'hens teeth' when you need 30 sets for a platoon in a film. You *could* have them made up but I'd have thought a small run would be financially as prohibitive as trawling about for originals.

And I think Nige may actually have a very good point there.

A common criticism/rant/thought on many WWII airsoft threads (and not just on here) is that folk dont get chance to use the stuff they have. As Nige says if you knock up a brit line infantry impression (*far* easier than HG to do correctly and a lot cheaper tbh given that 37 pattern is very cheap and the leather stuff less so) or a basic german volksgrenadier you open yourself up to be able to participate in many more battles.

I mean say we do a second sealion battle.. a line infantry impression wont look out of place there (if you dont have any obvious late war stuff like a MKIII lid or a lightweight ressie case) but on the flip side of the coin you cant do the Scheldt Estuarry battles looking like Corporal Jones :)
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:11 pm

30 sets from SoF would probably now cost less than getting bino cases... In fact they could probably be loaned from SoF.

stof
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby stof » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:18 pm

I agree Nige, its a bit of fun but a dead end really,as to the BAR pouches ,they do come up for sale occasionally but tend to go for £50 + each,which is pointless if you only want them for a very occasional game especially when SOF do a replica pair for £35.And in most real Home Guard photos and accounts they stated that they used whatever was relevant to them ,there was a great mismatch of kit and as most were only issued with 5 rounds it explains why in a lot of photos they aren't wearing pouches at all just a gasmask bag and HG satchell - probably had their ammo in their pocket.I have my Grandfathers ammo pouch - it was actually his 12 bore cartridge bag- civilian - not issued kit.

Return to “General British Discussion”