Join the Poor Bloody Infantry - new allied group.

Gadge
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Join the Poor Bloody Infantry - new allied group.

Postby Gadge » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:33 am

PBI - Press release

Welcome to PBI
Welcome to the PBI WW2 Airsoft Re-enactors group. PBI airsoft has been set up to raise the profile of WWII Airsoft Re-enactors - in particular British and Commonwealth WWII units.

Thanks to the sterling efforts of sites like 'First and Only', 'Phoenix', 'Close Action' and 'UCAP' and the immense amount of hard work put in by the guys at 'Comrades in Arms', WWII Airsoft Re-enactment is rapidly gaining a strong foothold in UK airsofting culture.

However British and commonwealth units do seem to be under represented, perhaps they are not considered cool enough or folk think the kit is too expensive, we aim to change all that!

What is PBI?
PBI stands for 'Poor Bloody Infantry' a nickname given to overworked foot soldiers for decades but particularly used in the Second World War, as this is what we will be representing in our airsoft games. The PBI society and future PBI games will focus on the kit, tactics and battles of the hard pressed British Tommy in every theatre of the Second World War (and his commonwealth allies!)

So why not replay the daring deeds of the British forces, the men who stood alone against Nazi Germany in Europe's darkest days?

Whether you want to be a 'Red Devil' at Arnhem or a Commando raiding occupied France, PBI will have something for you!

Why PBI, isn't there enough WW2 airsoft?

No there isn't nearly enough WWII airsoft, it's growing but at the moment it's all down to the hard work of a few sites and individuals blazing a trail. We feel that the Second World War provides a much more exciting backdrop for games than modern conflicts that may still even be going on and what's more as lads and lasses living in the British Isles wouldn't it be cool to emulate our forefathers in battle rather than dressing up as modern Mongolian Para-Rescue?

PBI intend to work side by side with UK airsoft sites and WWII airsoft and re-enactment groups to create a truly unique airsoft experience.

What will PBI be doing?
Initially PBI intend to set up an association of WWII airsofters who game in British kit with some games focused on British based actions in the pipeline.

Hopefully we can build up a strong core of airsofters in British kit, help each other create realistic impressions and attend games and events as a strong unit.

Initially we're looking to compose a ten man section of British air landing soldiers, this is a strong easily recognisable WWII 'red devil' image that looks great and will make us appear to be a strong unit!

Further impressions we'll look to do in the future include:

Line Infantry
Commandoes
Chindits
SAS

What do I need to join PBI?
Unlike most airsoft groups at PBI we'll require players to have a degree of uniformity of kit and be to carry that kit in the way a 1940s soldier would. Although we're not looking for a 're-enactment' level of detail nor are we going to be 'stitch counters' we will expect players to adhere to a basic kit list and then choose kit at their leisure to improve or change their impression.

Essential kit for the basic impression.
You will need:
A WWII AEG (M14s and bolt action wood effect sniper rifles will be allowed)
UK 37, 40 or 49 pattern battledress (either wool or denim is acceptable)
Basic 37 pattern webbing (belt braces & two ammo pouches)
Black ankle boots (modern hi leg boots are acceptable if the tops are covered by puttees or gaiters)
Puttees or gaiters
A maroon wwii airborne beret
Denison smock

Extra kit you might like to get over time:

Airborne steel helmet (WWII tank crew pattern is perfectly acceptable)
A steel helmet (MKII, MKIII or MkIV is acceptable.)
Commando beret
Leather jerkin
Windproof camo suit
Additional web gear (such as a water bottle or small pack)

Isn't that full on re-enactment?
No far from it, we're far form the level of detail even a poor re-enactment group would insist on we want you to get out there playing as soon as possible, however we do want the cool effect of us all looking like were a unit and not some ragged band of bandits! We wont be asking you to wear period 1940s underwear or to have the correct type of laces in your boots but if you wanted to we'd be very impressed!

I want to play this unit, can I?
Initially we have picked five units. Everyone must be able to do the basic impression which is the 2nd South Staffordshire Regiment - representative of the British airborne squaddie!

Basic Impression = South Staffs Airborne

2nd Impression to work to = no2 commando (you just need a green beret and a change of arm badges to switch to this)
3rd impression to work to = Hallamshire regiment (we will show you how to make badge patches for your battledress to quickly cover commando insignia)
4th impression to work to = Chindits (a trickier switch, speak to Yith about portraying this unit)
5th impression to work to SAS = This is a specific impression we intend to use very rarely and only when a specific scenario dictates, essentially a combination of any of our kit will work for this impression.

We realise you might have a favourite unit that you would rather portray, if possible we can try and fit you in as a member of that unit attached to the main body for a particular game but for some games you might have to go with the greater good!

Who are PBI?
The three founder members of PBI are:

Richard 'Yith' Heath
Mark 'Diesel Monkey' Eatherington
Gareth 'Gadge' Harvey

Where should I get my kit?
The first port of call for any Brit airsofter is sabre sales in Portsmouth, they can sort you out with a lot of our accessories for bargain prices (try here for webbing and helmets)

EBay is also your friend, recently Hong Kong suppliers have been listing repro denison's and windproof suits at very good prices and these has received good initial reviews for the re-enacting community who are sticklers for accuracy.

Indian company 'Replicators' will also be able to furnish you with tailor made battledress, denim battledress or any other uniform piece at very cheap prices. A set of jungle combats (shirt, trousers and jacket) will cost you a little over £50 delivered to your door!

Militaria fairs and shows are also one of the best places to get a bargain; it is possible at a militaria show to get a battledress jacket for just £5!

For insignia we recommend you try 'Div Patch'.

An lastly if you desperately need a piece of kit then you can try Soldier of Fortune who are very well stocked but not a cheap option!

What gun can I use?
You can use any WWII AEG or bolt action and a few 'counts as' or 'captured kit'.

Preferred:
Sten
Thompson
Bren
Lee Enfield rifle

Captured kit:
Mp40
K98
Mg43/Mg3
Mp44

Acceptable:
M1 carbine
Garand
M3 grease gun

Counts as:
Any pistol
Any bolt action 'traditional' style rifle (no ergonomic l96s etc)
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:07 pm

I'm definately up for this so sign me up SAH! Image
AndyT

Postby AndyT » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:10 pm

well there's Jeremy and meself -quite happy to affiliate with you-might be a few more from Lancs Archeology....
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Nice one guys, have a gander in the PBI discussion section if you like.
ImageImage

Joseph Porta
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Joseph Porta » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:54 am

PBI, you will be when you next meet the germans :raspberry:
"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:35 pm

Dont know,your track record aint so good so far. In fact if i'm not on your side you tend to lose...

:)
ImageImage

Old Un

Postby Old Un » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Re: Join the Poor Bloody Infantry - new allied group.

Postby Yith » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:02 pm

I see no reason why not... as long as they dress as Brits.. ;)
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:13 pm

lmao... you're in :)

JD7

Postby JD7 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:49 pm

I've my roots here lol but have indeed spent time with friends just outside OKC, in Midwest City, just 5 mins from Tinker AFB :D .

still got pics from going to 'Bricktown' - sorry for the :spam: Yith/Gadge :rofl:
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Oh... I realised that... He can still join... but I'll be VERY impressed if I see him at a PBI event. :)

Houndsworth

Postby Houndsworth » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 am

3040011 Trooper Grant reporting for duty SAH! ( i havent put any rank on my denny...saves you demoting me!! )
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:47 am

Excellent, consider yourself in Doog!
ImageImage

Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:47 am

Hi, I've added you to the group. You should be able to see the extra forum now.

Welcome! :)

Houndsworth

Postby Houndsworth » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:18 am

Thanks people! Whens the next training day then eh??? Let me orf my leash...cant wait etc etc!! Already got my S Staffs badge..so almost ready to go ..apart from 1 important piece of equipment....a gun!! Its a bloody minefield out there...Gas...Spring...I assume that most of you use AEG for SMGS and GB for rifles and Spring for Sniper.....I dunno..I wanted a carbine..no good....Stens are non existent...so I thought Id go for a no4 and cant find one either??? But TBH funds are a little low now after buying everything for my 2nd SAS look!

So if we do meet up could I kindly borrow a gun if thats allowed...and I'll see what I prefer....on another note they arent very accurate are they!!!! A grouping of 160mm at 20ms!!!!!!! :roll: :D

Be great to meet up with you all

Return to “General British Discussion”