Browning High Power

Glenlivet45
Veteran
Veteran

Browning High Power

Postby Glenlivet45 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Hello,

There are two different Tanaka HP pistols available where i live (because of the law it is close to impossible to import from other countries). :evil:
"High Power MIlitary" and "High Power M1935". Where any of those used by British forces? There seem to be so many different versions
its confusing.

Thanks!
JD7
Fought at the Battle of Hastings
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Re: Browning High Power

Postby JD7 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:08 pm

The Tanaka Hi-power's are nice desk pieces, but not durable enough to use in the field. I think Yith has one of the model's, hopefully he can supply model information :)
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Sat May 03, 2008 9:37 pm

I have the M1935, which is the Belgian Hi Power and hence more likely to be in German hands.

The one the Brits want is the Canadian Inglis Hi Power, which Tanaka may now make... I think I heard a rumour about them.

However.. the only things the Tanaka Brownings have got going for them is looks... They are otherwise really not up to skirmishing.

The whole construction is of really weak plastic. What usually happens is the slide breaks, mine did whilst it was in a holster. This happened very early in the usage. The next thing to go is the trigger to hammer linkage.

I was lucky to get a new top-slide direct from Japan (I have my contacts), but I doubt that'll be possible again, I was lucky. But the trigger linkage is pretty much impossible to source...

Mine now sits in its box purely as a collector piece, no way I'm using it at an event again.

My advice... buy a revolver (Tanaka M10 Military and Police is nice) or a Marui 1911A1 (they seem the best of all the 1911s, I have a WE and KSC myself and don't recommend them)
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Glenlivet45
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Glenlivet45 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks for the infos and help! Sad that they are not good for skirmishing. Still it might be interesting as part of
a collection. Which of the two would be more appropriate for British use? The sights of the two look
very different.

Just found an "Inglis" High Power from Tanka, was just this model used by British Forces?
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ggimport/10002639/
http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0 ... 000529.jpg
Again the sight (and grip colour) looks different from both the M1935 and Military models.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Sun May 04, 2008 9:05 am

Yes the Inglis is the most appropriate for British. Note the lanyard hook... that's one of the key items. Also the Inglis should take a stock.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg17-e.htm

I would be interested to hear if its any better than the others as it is a newer model so they may have improved things?

Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:09 am

An alternative is to get a CZ75 which looks similar to the Browing, KSC make one and based on the reviews I've read seems to be a better option for skirmishing.

There used to be a non-blowback version of the CZ75 which I can no longer find advertised, I was going to get one of those as non-blowback are genarally more robust.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
D.H.Hardman

Postby D.H.Hardman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:29 pm

managed to pick up a nice, Marushin blank firing browning from a re-enactors fair a few years ago, internals are old and it would be dangerous to use, but still it makes an awesome holster filler! really looks the part,fake wood grips, bit beaten up around the edges but it will sit there looking pretty till someone decides to make a good Airsoft version
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Surely it'd be a Plug Fire Cap gun if it was a Marushin?

If so, it'll probably be perfectly safe to use. It just won't fire a projectile so no use for airsoft at all.

I have a Marushin Enfield No2 and it's great!

D.H.Hardman

Postby D.H.Hardman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:29 pm

ooh maybe ....
never really thought about it too much, it does say something about 9mm blanks on it
but im sure i have just have misunderstood!
still, looks nice!

Return to “General British Discussion”