Did the Soviets ever use Natural camoflauge?

Reference information and uniform and kit Q&A

Moderator: Lardassmonkey

Komrade
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Did the Soviets ever use Natural camoflauge?

Postby Komrade » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:42 am

By this I mean tying grass/ sticks to their equipment and guns.

I know that the Russians were a bit better with camo than their American and British counterparts, but I was wondering how far this went. Cheers for any help, I don't know what i'd do without you all be so knowledgable! (Probably waste a lot of time on Google, as if I don't already :roll: )

:good:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Will make you a free signature banner. Pm me!
Special Department.
First Posting
First Posting

Re: Did the Soviets ever use Natural camoflauge?

Postby Special Department. » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Comrade,
They used natural material to put under shoulder boards and the pleats of the Pilotka.
Use of a length of rope ( likely the Plash Guy Rope) with tied natural materials to it in short lengths which is then wrapped round your body is also in their Manuals.... now there is no proof of a Gillie suit ever being used but Camouflaged Coverall or Gitlerite Zeltbahns with additional local terrain local materials would be OK for a Sniper/ Scout.

Camouflaged Screens made of sticks and grass are also noted to hide a firing position like a flat square or a fan like half a spiders web.

A small net was issued per man in a Rifles Squad very early on to be scrimmed up with local material to suit the local terrain and cover your position but it was one of the whistles and bells which was soon discontinued to easy supply and production of more important items.

:D

Return to “Soviet Uniforms and Kit”