Has anyone bought from 'SovietStores.com' ?

Reference information and uniform and kit Q&A

Moderator: Lardassmonkey

Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Re: Has anyone bought from 'SovietStores.com' ?

Postby Yith » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:35 pm

I don't think any of their stuff is repro. Most of it is probably post war.

The sapogi obviously post war are as wartime ones are very hard to come by. They look pretty good though.

The sharovari are the post war type which isn't as baggy round the bum as the WWII type by a long way. I've had some sharovari from them and they only barely fit me (well okay they didn't) and are now sold. The sizes will probably be small, but it's worth checking with them. (This was back in the days when they were only on ebay, I've not used the new site yet.)

As you say some of the prices are bit high, but they are in the UK.

I hadn't spotted the free poatage! The Mosin cleaning kit I have been eyeing up for a while has just been purchased.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:16 am

The Sapogi look right to me. Or as right as you're going to get. The only major difference between wartime and post war is the pattern on the sole. I'm not sure I've actually seen a real wartime pair myself, everyone wears the post war type.

The only other detail that's not clear is the tabs for pulling the boots on. They're inside and should be white.

Sasha
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sasha » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Here's a set of wartime style soles.

http://voenspec.ru/product/sapogi-kirzo ... hvoi-1775/

You want the link just below the picture of the boots.

He takes Paypal at a 6% surcharge and his wartime style stuff really is wartime Soviet pattern not post war Polish or from the 1958 equipment set...for example. :wink:
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:48 pm

There's some very nice stuff on there. Thanks for the link.

Sasha
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sasha » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:25 am

Sorry, should have explained, I was just showing that you can still get wartime pattern soles and what they looked like.

You'd have to find some real bleeding edge, hardcore reenactors who had any real issues with the tractor tread soles. For us it's something we're aware of but we've got other stuff to fix first. :D

e.g. Soviet Stores leather mosin pouches are actually post war Polish. We still accept them because they're not bad looky-likeys (better than the kirza pouches which aren't acceptable for us and, in fact, we have a couple of the Polish ones in our slop chest as loaner kit) but it's something we're encouraging people to change because there are better alternatives out there.

On the flip side what Soviet Stores label as a "1943" grenade pouch is actually the two cell grenade pouch from the 1958 equipment set* - wartime pattern is the three cell type - and doesn't even work as a looky-likey for any bit of wartime equipment.

*we do Warsaw Pact (Western and Central Group of Forces) and Afghanistan too so this stuff matters to us. :wink:
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:40 am

Sasha wrote:Sorry, should have explained, I was just showing that you can still get wartime pattern soles and what they looked like.

You'd have to find some real bleeding edge, hardcore reenactors who had any real issues with the tractor tread soles. For us it's something we're aware of but we've got other stuff to fix first. :D

As I said, I don't think I've seen anyone wearing boots with the proper soles and I have looked.... lol

e.g. Soviet Stores leather mosin pouches are actually post war Polish. We still accept them because they're not bad looky-likeys (better than the kirza pouches which aren't acceptable for us and, in fact, we have a couple of the Polish ones in our slop chest as loaner kit) but it's something we're encouraging people to change because there are better alternatives out there.

I got some of the post war DDR reparation pouches myself for about the same price (on ebay), but with Y fastenings shaped with a gap. They look the part without breaking the bank. Better looking than a repro?

If anyone now wants the 3 kirza/rexene pouches I have, they'll be going cheap!

On the flip side what Soviet Stores label as a "1943" grenade pouch is actually the two cell grenade pouch from the 1958 equipment set* - wartime pattern is the three cell type - and doesn't even work as a looky-likey for any bit of wartime equipment.

Thankfully Lardy put me right on those straight away and mine is a 3 cell pouch. Bought at a militaria fair, no idea if it's original or not. However I see so many of the 1958 ones sold as WWII it's just not funny.

Sasha
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sasha » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:38 am

Yith wrote:As I said, I don't think I've seen anyone wearing boots with the proper soles and I have looked.... lol[/qiote]

The ones I got for my daughter are the correct type. It wasn't deliberate though that's just what turned up!

I got some of the post war DDR reparation pouches myself for about the same price (on ebay), but with Y fastenings shaped with a gap. They look the part without breaking the bank. Better looking than a repro?

The reparation pouches are absolutely bob on. Some recommend oiling them to make them a bit darker but IMO age should do that.

There are three types of fastening that are right for wartime;

1. The y shaped type.
2. A type with tapered sides.
3. A type with straight sides.

The differences from postwar/satellite types are around the stitching detail ( :lol: sounds petty but, like everything, once you know it's easy to spot) and the metalwork.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:45 am

The reparation pouches are absolutely bob on.

That's good to know! I thought they were pretty good. Though the version they're a copy of is one of the harder to find ones I, understand.

Some recommend oiling them to make them a bit darker but IMO age should do that.

I considered that, but have been recommended to not do it and leave them as is.

Sasha wrote:The differences from postwar/satellite types are around the stitching detail ( :lol: sounds petty but, like everything, once you know it's easy to spot) and the metalwork.

Is the difference with the polish ones the two lines of stitching rather than square stitching holding the flap on? (Oh and I can be petty with the best of them... ;) )

Sasha
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sasha » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:06 pm

That's right, the two lines rather than a square.

Also the D-ring at the back is D shaped rather than a rectangle though, just to confuse matters, some claim that some Soviet pouches had D shaped rings).

In the absence of a definite answer we recommend erring on the side of caution and choosing the rectangular ones because we know they're definitely right.

Return to “Soviet Uniforms and Kit”