A pleasant suprise

Reference information and uniform and kit Q&A

Moderator: Lardassmonkey

BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Re: A pleasant suprise

Postby BootedFeet » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Moss wrote:Could anyone who has a Schuster uniform give any advice in the way of sizing?

Looking at the chart they have on Epic it seems that the regular 38" chest gymnastiorka is sized for those who are 5'9" and I'm about 5'11"/6'0". Going by the chart the nearest size that'll fit me length wise is a 41" long, which I think would look a bit too big on me. Can anybody shed some light?

I don't think a tunic being a few inches short would be an issue, they're supposed to come down to thigh level like a peasant smock and no one is going to notice it sitting a bit higher, the breeches come right up to the waist anyway so there's a fair bit of leeway. A tunic being far too baggy would be more noticeable and more frustrating to you wearing it. In reality, with the M43 becoming the norm among millions of soviet soldiers from January of that year I expect more than a handful were issued with tunics that were too short, too baggy or too long. :)

I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:12 pm

I talked to Epic, to make sure if it didn't fit I could change the one I ordered, they said no problem, I'm six foot, 46 inch chest, ordered 48, long, should be about right for me.
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:14 pm

They reckon I'll have received it by Friday, I'll post the fitment.
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Moss » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:18 pm

Thank you Matt, I did wonder about how much the red army quartermasters cared about a tunic being too baggy, short, ect.

My main concern is the arm length really, although if possible I would prefer a tunic that comes down to the right place on my thigh, I think I'll have to email Epic and ask for the total length and arm length at some point.

Thanks Lord Elpus, that'd be very helpful.

Cheers, Moss.
ImageImageImageImage
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Got the gymnasterka today! Looks good quality twill, better material than the pilotka I already have, but seeing as I can't remember where it came from it wouldn't have been expensive, as it was probably bought on a whim.
The size is good for me, arm length, inside,54cm (21 1/4 inch) fit me, spot on, I haven't got short arms, length from top of collar to hem bottom,87cm (34 inch) measured flat across 67.5 cm (26 1/2 inch) so that can double up. Will fit fairly baggy I'm 46 inch chest room enough to wear a British norgie underneath ( which I will be doing) so there sizing is good no problems with this, length is good too, when on.
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Moss » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Cheers for that, I'll check those measurements against something I already have to see what's what.

Thanks, Moss.
ImageImageImageImage
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:53 pm

I shall wear this and wash it when it's good and grubby,( hopefully won't shrink! ) to give a used look, I won't be buying a winter "telegroika" ( if I spelt that right) as this will probably the only winter game I do, we'll see. I have some khaki trousers which I think will pass muster, but if they look " kakky" when I fit it all together I can maybe stretch to buying the correct item.
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:47 pm

Lord Elpus wrote:I shall wear this and wash it when it's good and grubby,( hopefully won't shrink! ) to give a used look, I won't be buying a winter "telegroika" ( if I spelt that right) as this will probably the only winter game I do, we'll see. I have some khaki trousers which I think will pass muster, but if they look " kakky" when I fit it all together I can maybe stretch to buying the correct item.

A cheaper option, if you can find them is post war M69 or 'Obr.69' breeches. Look outwardly identical to the WW2 model and shouldn't cost the earth

ImageImageImage
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Cheers for that info, I will look for some, someone did mention them before, and I started to look, but must of got distracted by something else, you have just reminded me.
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:56 pm

Lord Elpus wrote:Been on another thread, tank gunner posted pic's of Russian winter combat troops,( they were about alternative weapons) wearing belts with two prong buckles! Now I don't care, I've already got bits to make a single prong buckle belt, would they have been Soviet issue? Or captured equipment. Seeing as there were a few million Soviet soldiers kicking about by the end of the war I would have thought inconsistency in uniform and equipment would have been rife! I also suspect they might have consumed the odd litre of vodka as well!

You actually caught me out here, whoops. I was aware that such a belt existed, photos of NKVD officers (Commissars) usually show them wearing a brown leather claw belt, however that photo was the first time I had seen regular infantrymen wearing it. I would assume, though I am open to correction that these men belong to an NKVD rifle division, and were issued such belts as they were what the NKVD had in it's stores. Only speculation though.

ImageImageImage
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Just been on a M69 breeches search for a couple of hours..............nothing! Will look again another time. Repro's found so far costing about £59, on average. Plenty of time yet to get some.

Return to “Soviet Uniforms and Kit”