Armoured Recon

Discussion area for Waffen SS

Moderator: Steiner

Death Warrant
Veteran
Veteran

Armoured Recon

Postby Death Warrant » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Hiya Guys, i'm after some info, reference pics for what was worn by the armoured recon units in the ss.

Reason i ask is i have some spare insignia, shoulder boards and collar tabs to make use of.

Would they have worn panzer wraps, as was looking at one of the oak leaf ones on epic, as buying that would give me a new uni without much expense, as i already have headgear and trousers to go with, either feldgrau, black panzer or dot 44.

This is a quick aside with regards to camo wraps, its personal preference how much insignia is applied isnt it, if i just have collar tabs it would still look correct even if i have no sleeve eagle, cuff title applied?

All help greatly appreciated, cheers DW :good:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Re: Armoured Recon

Postby Steiner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:48 pm

I no expert on this, DW - but here are my thougts:

Shoulderboards - black with yellow piping for SS recon units.

Panzerwraps vs tunics - I think either is acceptable.

Insignia on camo uniforms - yes, keep it to a minimum. There are odd pictures of (for example) Dot 44 tunics with bling, but they are very much in the minority.

Oakleaf Panzerwraps? Hmm, not sure how common they would have been - I have not noticed any in photos.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Death Warrant
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Death Warrant » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, its a pair of SS NCO s/boards i have spare, and yes they are yellow piped, which is why i am asking about what uniform combinations would be acceptable to portray an armoured recon unit.
:good:
Lardassmonkey
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Lardassmonkey » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Yes Armoured Recce troops would have worn panzer wraps. I believe usually black for vehicle crew but I've seen field grey as well. The peadot version would have no doubt been issued later on. I'd probably avoid an oakleaf one though unless you were going officer.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:05 am

Copper Brown waffenfarbe until 1942 so you are looking at late war. Wraps in black and field grey would be a good start and I'd second the erbsentarn before eichenlaubmuster.
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
Death Warrant
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Death Warrant » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi guys thanks for the feedback, taking into account whats been said i will probably go for a dot 44 wrap for a couple of reasons.
I already have a black panzer wrap, and want some variety, the camo means i dont have to buy all the insignia as i was trying to create a chepish new uni making use of what i already had, plus i already have 3 uniforms for earlier war. :good:
Would field grey have been worn at all, or is it a case of recon units wearing pretty much the same as panzer crew?
Thanks DW
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:59 pm

A lot depends on what vehicle you were equipped with. You might see grey wraps on Stug crew or armoured car crews.
It's not SS but the famous photo series of the 116th Aufklarung shows them in all kinds of tunics, field grey wraps, denim wraps and tunics and field grey tunics. No black actually.
aka Stigroadie
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
Death Warrant
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Death Warrant » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi Poacher thanks for the info, i'm going to go for a dot 44 wrap, what i meant was what type of trousers head gear would have been acceptable with it :?:
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:16 pm

Any trousers - would recommend Feldgrau - it looks a good combination. (Plus I'm not a fan of 100% dot44.)

Death Warrant
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Death Warrant » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Steiner neither am i, the dot 44 trousers were bought to give my panzer and feldgrau a late war look.

The dot 44 wrap will be worn with either black or feldgrau trousers with appropriate head gear, i agree with you 100% dot 44 looks a bit ott, well imo anyway :whistle:
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:24 pm

Heh, mix 'n match is the best way, IMO. :)

Death Warrant
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Death Warrant » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi again guys, simple question would it still be correct to have armoured recon S/B on a tunic rather than a wrap, a dot 44? I know later in the war there were a whole host of uniform combinations.

Reason i ask is i have sourced dot 44 tunics at a very reasonble price, and it would mean i could use the tunic for infantry as well as recon.

As ever all comments advice welcome.

Cheers DW
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:49 pm

Shoulder boards are unusual on pea dot. You dont need any insignia on dot at all.
They were worn but it's more usual to see them without, as per regulations.
aka Stigroadie
AFRA
better by design

Death Warrant
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Death Warrant » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:07 am

Right folks now that i have the time and money to start playing again i thought i would reserect this little project. After the advice recieved before i've decided to go for a grey Panzer wrap. As said before i have insignia.
The last thing i need to know is if NCO tresse would have been worn on grey wraps, as i know they wernt on black ones?

Cheers DW

Return to “Waffen SS”