PBI Event - Operation Varsity - F&O 30th March 2008

PBI Event - to be held at First & Only
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

PBI Event - Operation Varsity - F&O 30th March 2008

Postby Yith » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:11 pm

Frontline: Operation Varsity

Presented by Poor Bloody Infantry (PBI) at First and Only Airsoft, Matlock - 30th March 2008

"With a bone crunching thud the wooden fuselage of the Horsa glider impacted on the soft soil and careered across the field speeding headlong into the approaching woodland. A loud crack reported through the cramped interior as the wings were wrenched from the aircraft and the broken body of this one way transport shuddered to a halt.

Dazed by the brutal force of the landing the red devils inside quickly unbuckled their seats and gathered their equipment. Instantly charging out of the shattered shell to form up for battle and complete their objective..

Unbeknown to them Feldwebel Hauer had tracked their descent through his field glasses from his observation post in the church. "Alarm Alarm Britscher fallschrimjager!", he cried and ran to inform his commanding officer.

With minutes and with typical teutonic efficiency the German reconnaissance platoon were already on their way to tackle this threat from the air!

Welcome to the first ever Poor Bloody Infantry WWII airsoft battle - we intend to take you back over 60 years to the second world war where *you* can experience the tension and action of infantry combat!

PBIs new series of Frontline games will portray the action of a single platoons of Allied and Axis troops as they wage war over one single day of the Second World War. Instead of recreating a large battle or operation, here you will be experiencing action from an infantryman's perspective.

In our first battle we'll be recreating a day from Operation Varsity - the allied attempt to cross the Rhine and push into the heart of Germany to end the war in one stroke.

In this battle you can choose to play either a valiant red devil from the 6th allied airborne division or a stalwart panzer grenadier defending the fatherland from the enemy hordes!

About Operation Varsity

Operation Varsity was the allied attempt to cross the mighty river Rhine and push into Germany's industrial heartland to end the war. A massive force of infantry and armour was amassed to force this crossing of the last great obstacle between the allies and Berlin. As part of this plan the allies decided to drop glider forces and paratroopers behind the enemy lines to slow down reinforcements to the river and attack communication centres and supply dumps where possible.

Having been caught unaware by a mass airborne drop at Arnhem previously the German forces were quick to respond sending in some of their best troops to defeat the red devils before they could complete their mission.

So, who will you fight for?

In this game there are two sides. You can be a member of the British Airborne or the combined forces of the German 84th Infantry division and 7th Fallschirmjager.

We have 20 places available for each side.

British Airborne

22 platoon D company the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry 6th Airborne division

Minimum kit for this event is a Denison, red beret and battledress trousers
(don't worry about getting new cap badges, keep your existing ones)

German Panzer grenadiers

Reconnaissance platoon, 8 kompanie 84th Infanterie
or
2 Section, 2 kompanie, 7th fallschirmjager

You will be representing a Heer of FJ unit so kit for this one is feldgrau uniforms and splinter pattern accessories. If you have SS kit that too is fine but please don't use distinctive SS camo patterns, just wear your field grey tunic and coverless helmets. However, if you only have SS camo then that's fine you will represent the advance elements of 'Kampfgruppe Karst' who reached the battle after the landings.

Cost and Booking
The total cost for this event will be £25 per person. We'll need £5 of this cost as a deposit paid on booking. The remaining £20 should be paid on the day.

For details on how to pay please see here: viewtopic.php?t=2490

OPERATION VARSITY FAQ:

Q: Why cant i play American/Russian/SS?

A: The main reason is that the 'Frontline' games are based on a micro view of a battle, like in 'Band of Brothers' we'll be dealing with the adventures of one platoon and how the war was for them on that given day. Although US troops played a major part in Operation Varsity they were many miles away from the British Airborne drop. We're concentrating on the adventures of 20 or so Brits and an equal amount of brave grenadiers and their FJ allies.

If you have SS kit you can still play on the German side but wherever possible try not to use distinctive SS pattern gear, e.g. wear your field grey kit but not your oversmock or helmet cover. If you only have a pea pattern uniform then that's okay, but if you can go grey please do!

Q: Why Operation Varsity?

A: Well it was a massive airborne drop and one made after learning the mistakes of Arnhem, the allied airborne only have to hold for one day which is perfect for our games as we don't have to pretend its over several days or that a small hut equals a whole village etc.

Add to that Operation Varsity happened 62 years ago to the month so we felt it would be good to honour the memory of those veterans at the right time of the year.

Q: How are Frontline games different from other WWII airsoft games?

A: We're hoping the Frontline games will allow the players to feel they are part of a platoon with specific roles and objectives. We'll be sending you on missions or you'll be patrolling with clear objectives. Though your objectives might not be that grand, they will be similar to those given to a fighting patrol or scout group in 1944/45.

Q: How accurate does my kit have to be?

A: Pretty much the same as for any other CiA game although this time we're trying to make it appear that all the players on each side are from the same unit rather than a composite force of several regiments. We're looking into ways of making this more possible that wont cost you a penny!
Last edited by Yith on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Helga Geerhart
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Helga Geerhart » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:18 pm

OO could be a birthday outing, sounds most intriguing Yith :D
ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:23 pm

Sounds great Gadge, I take it Tan & Water smocks/helmet covers are also ok?
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:46 pm

Should be, Boshman - they were only Heer issued.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Gadge
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Gadge » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:51 am

Yup

Basically we'd like all the germans in field grey and keep cam to a minimum as camo items (excluding the zelt) were not really that widespread in the german forces.

Nobody going to notice insignia too much and 20 guys (and gals) in field grey is going to be quite easily identifiable as a side whereas a mix of fj,ss,gd and panzer troops wont look quite the same.

Similarly the brits will all be in similar kit.
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:59 pm

I've added the cost/deposit information to the post at the top of this thread:

Cost and Booking
The total cost for this event will be £25 per person. We'll need £5 of this cost as a deposit paid on booking. The remaining £20 should be paid on the day.

I'll put up details of how to pay in the next few weeks.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

che
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby che » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:59 pm

just text fandanglos were up for it che & fandanglos heer infantry.

do we need to remove our GD titles
theres nowt so Permanent as temporary

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:07 pm

no keep any insignia you have on.
same goes for ss guys

all we're askng is that if you can be in plain field grey or whermacht cam for this one to make it look more uniform

If we can keep axis cam to zelts and helmet covers even better to accuratley represent a standard infantry regiment and make you look even more like a unit.

But the general rule is field grey or heer cam, I'd like it if we could max out the field grey!
ImageImage

Helga Geerhart

Postby Helga Geerhart » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:11 pm

sorted then 8) no changing required heer ... badoom tish :oops:
ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image
che
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby che » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:12 pm

no probs i only have field grays :lol: :lol: :lol: apart from zelty helmet cover (splinter pattern) and reversable parker also splinter but unless its raining just field grays for us

ImageImage
che
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby che » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:15 pm

Helga Geerhart wrote:sorted then 8) no changing required heer ... badoom tish :oops:

stop that its silly lets have somthing decent and military :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ImageImage
WhosWill?

Postby WhosWill? » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:23 pm

I might sort out some German kit and Kraut it up for this. Christmas coming, so can give the folks an "interesting" list... :lol:
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:26 pm

Well this ones the ideal, all you need is fieldgrey torusers and tunic, an m43 cap and some gaiters,

get it all from spearhead and you get free insignia too!

its not great insignia but it does the job!
ImageImage

che
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby che » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 pm

Gadge wrote:Well this ones the ideal, all you need is fieldgrey torusers and tunic, an m43 cap and some gaiters,

get it all from spearhead and you get free insignia too!

its not great insignia but it does the job!

gaiters and miss a perfect opertunity to were jack boots with out people looking at u funny :lol: :lol: mine are like wearing your favirot slippers i love em

ImageImage
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:31 pm

i was thinking of a cheap option but yeah i love mine too...

Shame i cant find a way to wangle them into a brit impression :(
ImageImage

Return to “Operation Varsity - 30th March 2008”