Discussion area for Heer

Moderator: Steiner

MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Obergefreiter chevron location

Postby MartinR » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi,

after doing this for three and a half years I figured I might have had a seniority progression to the dizzy heights of Obergefreiter, so I've got some chevrons for my late war jacket.

Does anyone know what the regulation distance from the top of the sleeve is? I came across an old thread which mentioned 15cm, but just wanted to check.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: Obergefreiter chevron location

Postby prideofengland » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Oh I see, we are going to bling ourselfs up eh :waggle:

Actually not sure, midway between elbow and shoulder?
Rene "Are you one?"
Gruber "Vell, it vas very lonely on ze Russian Front."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:04 am

15cm from the shoulder seam to the top of the chevron sounds about right.

From what I have seen, if you lay the tunic flat, the top of the chevron should be at the same level as the bottom edge of the chest pocket flap.
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:17 am

Great, thanks. I'm still only a private, just a rather elderly one!

Cheers
Martin
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steinlager
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Steinlager » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:09 am

Heres a pic for reference
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41818881@N06/8553149707/

I think I went for the top being one third of the way down the sleeve, which looks about right for the picture and is 20 cm on my jacket. Cant remember where I got that from though.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:03 pm

A great source of reference for insignia placement are the original items on the collector guild website:

“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."

ImageImageImageImage
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks, 20cm looks about right, as you say the top of the chevrons line up with bottom of the jacket pocket flap.

Cheers
Martin

Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:43 pm

It's also quite interesting to note that 9/10 of the breast eagles are positioned parallel to the top of the breast pocket rather than parallel to the horizontal!

ImageImageImageImage
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:37 am

Having actually sewn them on now, I reckon it is actually 15cm (so the top of the chevrons line up just underneath bottom of the top pocket flap.

Cheers
Martin

Return to “Heer”