New Recruit, Looking for Assistance

Discussion area for Heer

Moderator: Steiner

Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Re: New Recruit, Looking for Assistance

Postby Steiner » Mon May 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Sounds good - you've gone for a lot of kit that some would not - will look great once you get the helmet and uniform. The A-frame is not essential.

Having had both Spearhead and Gavin uniforms, I can say that there is no comparison - Gavin is far better quality.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
scubasteve89
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby scubasteve89 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:59 pm

Steiner wrote:Sounds good - you've gone for a lot of kit that some would not - will look great once you get the helmet and uniform. The A-frame is not essential.

Having had both Spearhead and Gavin uniforms, I can say that there is no comparison - Gavin is far better quality.

One thing I love is kit! Gonna have to get some tent pegs and stoves as well. :happyswing:
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby MartinR » Tue May 20, 2014 7:40 am

As Steiner says, the A frame is not essential, and in fact a more useless piece of load bearing equipment I have yet to come across. An empty gas mask tin is far more useful. You can just clip the zelt to the D rings on your Y straps, or onto your belt or do the cool WW1 style assault pack thing with it wrapped around the mess tin on the back vertical strap.

If you have pennies to spare then a bayonet and frog are handy. SnS do rubber K98 bayonets to turn your K98 into a fearsome close combat weapon, although not that fearsome when the blade wobbles around.

Glad to see you have joined the ranks of e-tool wearers :)

wrt alternate uniform suppliers, I've got some stuff from http://www.militaria-net.co.uk, M36 jacket and trousers. Not hugely cheap but seem decent quality and excellent service.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
scubasteve89
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby scubasteve89 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:51 am

Definitely looking to get one of the rubber bayonets sorted! Just so happens my local Airsoft site is run by Warren (SnS owner) where I'll be doing most of my ww2 "skirmish" games. Hopefully he'll have some gaiters that will fit my mammoth legs...

Bought a pair on eBay stupidly assuming one size fits all:

:giggle:

Uniform wise I was quite set on buying from Gavin Militaria, but their site seems to have been down for some time now. :(
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Tue May 20, 2014 10:01 am

Umm, I think the German gaiters are only one size, unlike British ones. Could be wrong.

You could always make some longer straps out of a piece of leather, or move the buckles.

Chees
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
scubasteve89
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby scubasteve89 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:11 am

MartinR wrote:Umm, I think the German gaiters are only one size, unlike British ones. Could be wrong.

You could always make some longer straps out of a piece of leather, or move the buckles.

Chees
Martin

Warren at Shoot and Scoot is having a look into his stock for me. He thinks there are different sizes.

I can look at making mods I suppose.
scubasteve89
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby scubasteve89 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:29 am

So...

Jackboots are out as the biggest ones I have found are 40cm around the top, and my tree calves are 52cm. Pretty gutted about that.

Gaiter wise, I'm going to have to look at moving the position of the straps to see if I can "stretch" them to at least join up. Might be a little gap. Failing that I'm gonna make some myself.

I hate being a monster. :evil:
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby bigkie » Thu May 22, 2014 8:56 am

Nowt wrong with being a monster mate as long as you know where to look for gear:

http://www.hikishop.com/ww2-german-legg ... -1174.html

hope it helps :good:
ImageImageImage
scubasteve89
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby scubasteve89 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:04 am

bigkie wrote:Nowt wrong with being a monster mate as long as you know where to look for gear:

http://www.hikishop.com/ww2-german-legg ... -1174.html

hope it helps :good:

Dude, as far as love over a forum goes, you are the man!!! :happydance: :happyswing:
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby bigkie » Thu May 22, 2014 9:10 am

No problem buddy, here is a link to a an article I did the web portal a while back that may give you a bit of info for places to have a look around that maybe of assistance. :good:
ImageImageImage
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby bigkie » Thu May 22, 2014 9:11 am

ImageImageImage
scubasteve89
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby scubasteve89 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:27 am

Thanks for the info there bigkie, a lot of help!

All I can say is thank god they used braces back then. I have the problem of having 3-5 inches "spare" on the waist just so the trousers can fit my thunder thighs. :slap:
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Thu May 22, 2014 1:41 pm

If like me you hate sewing on insignia, i'd recommend Richard Underwoods for tunics.

They come with good quality insignia professional sewn on :good: Ok you pay a bit more but when you add the cost of the collar tabs and eagle seperately it's not a lot more.

With any of the UK suppliers, Epic, Militaria.net etc, I'd recommend trying to attend one of the Militaria shows which they are attending around the country. That way you can try everything on and be sure it all fits. Nothing worse than having to return an item to a Hong-Kong seller! They will also usually do you a bit of a deal if you are buying a few bits.
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
scubasteve89
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby scubasteve89 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Boshman wrote:If like me you hate sewing on insignia, i'd recommend Richard Underwoods for tunics.

They come with good quality insignia professional sewn on :good: Ok you pay a bit more but when you add the cost of the collar tabs and eagle seperately it's not a lot more.

With any of the UK suppliers, Epic, Militaria.net etc, I'd recommend trying to attend one of the Militaria shows which they are attending around the country. That way you can try everything on and be sure it all fits. Nothing worse than having to return an item to a Hong-Kong seller! They will also usually do you a bit of a deal if you are buying a few bits.

I have to admit, when it comes to the uniform (now thinking M40-M42), I'm a little stuck where to get from. I have my heart set on Gavin Militaria. The price seems reasonable and reviews say good quality... But other places cost more for the Tunic alone :(
scubasteve89
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby scubasteve89 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:00 am

Uniform on order from Gavin Militaria, looking forward to it!!!

Struggling helmet wise though. My head is a large 62cm and generally helmets seem to go up to 59cm or sometimes 61cm.

Any recommendations with where to find a helmet big enough?

EDIT: Answers own question, link for reference :). Alternatives in UK would be nice though!

http://www.zib-militaria.de/epages/6143 ... 50080-0001

Return to “Heer”