Discussion area for Heer

Moderator: Steiner

AdeUK
Veteran
Veteran

Gas cape Pouch /bag

Postby AdeUK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi,

I am currently improving my early war Heer kit. I have a later gas cape bag, but am trying to find the earlier version referred to everywhere as "rubberised"?

The only real bags that I have found that are different to the later plain canvas types, do not seem to be rubberised as I would imagine, but almost look like a wax finishing on a canvas material...a little like a Barbour jacket. It is hard to tell from photos and I can't even find a nice clear photo of an original bag for reference.

Can anyone help me . Either with a description of the material, or a photo.

Cheers
Ade
RETIRED, thanks for some truly memorable times and great people
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: Gas cape Pouch /bag

Postby Boshman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Ade, Richard underwood do a repro of the early war rubberised one for £9:50. I have one and it's pretty good and is definitely "rubbery" rather than waxed cotton type of thing.

“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:04 pm

Yes, it looks like rubber mac material - I have an original from RAU. [edit] P.S. Best pouch-fillers are Bundy gas capes. :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
AdeUK
Veteran
Veteran

Postby AdeUK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks Neil,
I saw those and have them in mind as a back up (he's already got an order from me that he could add it to), but I would like to try to get a real one....if only I knew what I was looking for :)

but...Yes, Andy, that's exactly what I imagined when they say "rubberised"...like the grey rubber East German gas mask bags if you know them? It means the ones that I have found so far are not the early ones, which is a great help.

many thanks guys

(ed: sorry Neil, not Ian :) )
ImageImage
AdeUK
Veteran
Veteran

Postby AdeUK » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:57 am

Started to find some useful information....all this research just for a simple bag ...I know, I'm sad, but I love this sort of thing and thought I'd share.

Best article is here:
http://www.mp44.nl/equipment/gas_cape_new.htm

What is interesting are the documented changes to the orders, which coincidently show the wearing of the gas mask tin.

The first/original manual shows the simple form of bag (no corner reinforcements) and the gas mask tin worn over the left shoulder placing the tin on the right hip. (We knew this)

However, lower down the page is an order, from just a few months later, following field trials, mainly to reaffirm that the cape bag must be worn on the chest. But you'll notice two things:
1. The gas mask tin is now worn over the right shoulder to place it on the right hip and
2. If the drawing is to be considered accurate, the pouch now has the corner reinforcements, so the field trials obviously found the original design wasn't good enough.
It just goes to show that they were really serious and efficient in upgrading kit and improving efficiency of use.

I think I may have found one of the reinforced rubberised bags
ImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Yes, early war (up to 41) the pouch is worn across the chest.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

Return to “Heer”