Discussion area for Heer

Moderator: Steiner

Kendo
Veteran
Veteran

Belt Care or Possible Alternatives

Postby Kendo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:43 pm

Hey all,

Looking for a wee bit of advice regarding the leather equipment belt. I noticed after last week's skirmish that the leather tab that secures the belt buckle in place has started to rip at the stitches, and this is after having worn it only a handful of time since I bought it at the end of last year. Is this a common problem with cheaper repro belts?

It wasn't cinched too tight, and the leather wasn't dry or brittle. Is there anything that can be done to avoid this happening with its replacement? Or is there an alternative option, beside the officer's belt, that could be worn? (economy version without the tab, maybe?)

Or should I stop being cheap and buy a better quality belt in future? :whistle:
'ABSIT OMEN'
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Re: Belt Care or Possible Alternatives

Postby Steiner » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Probably the latter, mate. I still have the belt I bought about 8 years ago - no stitching problems.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Kendo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kendo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Any suggestions? From what I hear, most of the most 'go to' outlets have practically the same stock.
'ABSIT OMEN'
dadio
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby dadio » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Everybody trys to save money but when the budget stuff fails its time to get a better bit of kit ,on the btight side its just a belt not an expensive item ,regular polish and dubin will then maintain it , crappy leather just strreches and splits no matter what you do.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:25 pm

I got mine from SoF, I believe. Maybe best buying from a show, where you can feel the quality?

MartinR

Postby MartinR » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:46 am

If it is just the stitching which has gone, it is easy enough to re-sew it as the holes are already punched.

I've re-sewn a few bits of leather kit, and I always double sew buttons on repro kit as they are often just held on with a couple of threads.

My main belt is a nasty cheap one, but it has lasted five years, regularly slathered in dubbin. I've just had to re-sew it and sometimes punch new belt holes in it.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kendo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kendo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:14 pm

It's not the stitching that's come away (as you say, I can just re-sew that) it's the actual leather that's ripped. :(

Is there any correct way to apply dubbin? Like, do you slather the entire belt, front and back, then leave it for a few hours before wiping it off or...?
'ABSIT OMEN'
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:44 am

Ah, if the leather is torn you've had it.

I'm not sure there is a correct way to apply dubbin, on the rough side I just work it in with a cloth or I sometimes use an old toothbrush (which I also use for seams). On the smooth side I just go over it with a cloth. There is rarely enough to to warrant wiping it off though, I just let it soak in. Multiple thin coats seem to work better.

I sometimes leave boots etc under the radiator to encourage it to soak in.

I recall that Kermit used to heat his dubbin on the stove and then just paint it on with a paint brush! I am not sure She Who Must be Obeyed would be too keen on that, cloth and toothbrush seem to work fine.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:47 am

I actually use boot polish on my belt, not dubbin. :)

Kendo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kendo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Appreciate the help folks. I compared my belt to my brother's and the difference in quality is obvious: the leather tab on his belt is much thicker and stronger than on mine, which was paper-thin in comparison!

Have since ordered a new belt, and will invest in some dubbin next chance I get. :good:
'ABSIT OMEN'

Return to “Heer”