M38 helmet

Discussion area for Fallschirmjäger

Moderator: Steiner

Iceman
Veteran
Veteran

M38 helmet

Postby Iceman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:58 am

Hi, mate of mine is looking for a good quality steel M38 helmet for his Falschimjäeger kit. What is the concensus on the best make? His head is small (size 56), are all of them 58-59 sized?

Thanks
Why do you always carry that umbrella?
-Bad memory. Never could remember the password. Knew no Jerry would carry one. Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.
A bridge too far
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Re: M38 helmet

Postby Steiner » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:35 pm

I don't know much about M38s unfortunately - however, I do know that the liner and shell sizes are separate.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
kingmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kingmaker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:58 am

Take out the aluminium lining band and re-rivet it to your head size.you can use fencing nails as rivets
Image ImageImageImageImageImage
slick63
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby slick63 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:25 pm

kingmaker wrote:Take out the aluminium lining band and re-rivet it to your head size.you can use fencing nails as rivets

Blimey, hope he`s got it sorted by now, that post was 5 years ago :giggle:
kingmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kingmaker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Yes but i did do a bigger write up but it got lost due a lost internet connection.
The helmets made in the far east are too wide,as the skull profile is different out that way of the world in asia,i squashed my helm to make it narrower,the one i had was stated as a size 57 liner it was much larger by about 2 or 3 cm so thats why i decreased the lining circumference.It was an horrible helmet to wear,compared to my original m42.I have improved my repro m38 but its still not ideal,the leather liner is not deep enough either in my opinion. so its still valuable info if any one is having fit problems.I do make steel helmets for people as my day job. :shock:
I thought the idea was to have a resource to refer back to and have a library of information.Thats why the forum is so much better than farcebook,info here today and gone tomorrow.
Image ImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:57 pm

kingmaker wrote:I thought the idea was to have a resource to refer back to and have a library of information. That's why the forum is so much better than farcebook, info here today and gone tomorrow.

:good:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Fallschirmjäger”