Waterproofing jump smock?

Discussion area for Fallschirmjäger

Moderator: Steiner

MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Waterproofing jump smock?

Postby MartinR » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:49 pm

I recently picked up one of the cheapish SoF splinter jumpsmocks to use at Hauptmann Horn, and having got a tad damp at Devils Hill, I was wondering if anyone had ever had a go at waterproofing them?

It looks like fairly heavyweight cotton so should take silicon proofer, I'm just a bit concerned it will turn into an incredibly sweaty plastic mac! Any advice welcomed. I'll be wearing wool underneath so even if it does pelt down with rain 'll stay warm at any rate, if not dry.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hans Gowert
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Waterproofing jump smock?

Postby Hans Gowert » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:22 pm

keep moving to keep warm,

get a little wet ? meh

damp feet is worst then being wet through
Freiheit ist nicht frei

Alle sieben Sekunden stirbt ein deutscher Soldat ,,,,,,,stalingrad massengrab
PD
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby PD » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:42 am

Do not waterproof it. Wearing wool underneath means the water will take a long time to get through and your body heat will dry the kit out - Cotton duck is made to be naturally water repellant. As it gets wet it swells and the fibres close up thus stopping water seeping through. The idea is to wear the kit as it was worn and see how it performs.
Wear a vest and a shirt and the water won't affect you as bad. And anyway - if it gets that bad use some nouse and pack in and get out of the rain. No one's telling you to stop out in it.
ImageImageImage Image
LOOK! I ham now four meggle man!
A001
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:52 am

PD wrote:No one's telling you to stop out in it.

Heh, that was Martin's problem. He made the mistake of attending a CiA game and we DID tell him to stop out in the rain. :giggle:
My greatcoat was so heavy I couldn't take it off. Since our events are about understanding WW2's fighting men's thoughts and fears and 'being there' it was a very sobering experience trying to maintain moral and fighting spirit when soaked to the skin. And yes, although soaked through, I was still warm.

I too have often wondered about waterproofing smocks and I can see PD's point - slapping silicone on won't turn it into Goretex or similar modern 'breathable' waterproof barrier!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 am

He made the mistake of attending a CiA game and we DID tell him to stop out in the rain.

Quite right, I was only obeying orders. It was all very authentic, I recall feeling particularly miserable just before the artillery barrage. Wouldn't have missed it for the world, I think you must have arranged the weather specially just to remind us how utterly awful it was fighting on the edge of the Reichswald in autumn/winter 1944.

I don't mind getting wet, along with airsoft I go sailing and do road & hill running, also activities which can be a bit damp and chilly at times. However, there is wet and there is being absolutely soaked to the skin with pints of water in each boot and having a toenail drop off a couple of days afterwards (it was damaged anyway, the perils of running). I can't say I noticed my LFD jacket visibly swelling up to repel the rain, well maybe for ten minutes or so. I was extremely impressed with the performance of the wool gear in such wet conditions, from the pov of keeping warm anyway.

Anyway, I thought that as wily frontsoldat I might have some sort of cunning scheme to keep just a little drier, maybe a historically appropriate option might be to rub rendered fat into my smock, but it might be a bit smelly! Of course this is probably all a worry about nothing, I'm sure Brecon in early spring has never seen a drop of rain :)

Cheers
Martin
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JD7
Fought at the Battle of Hastings
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby JD7 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:21 am

Have you got a zelt? Waterproof that and wear when required.

Depending on how you wear it there's ventilation as well
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:42 am

Yes I've got a zelt, I was proofing it this weekend. I just thought uniform + smock + zelt might be bit OTT and was wondering if I could do something with the smock alone.

Well, we are supposed to be on a commando mission, so carrying all this stuff is probably appropriate.

Cheers
Martin

Return to “Fallschirmjäger”