New belt..

Discussion area for Fallschirmjäger

Moderator: Steiner

cdfw
Veteran
Veteran

New belt..

Postby cdfw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 pm

I have just received a new tan belt for my FJ impression for the Crete game and the leather seems bright and untreated..
Just wondering what would be the best leather treatment to use on it to seal/age/waterproof it?
I just thought that something like neatsfoot oil would rub off/leave oily marks on clothing.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Regards Chris.
'Non adepto demens. Adepto etiam'
War does not show who is right, only who is left..
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage Image
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: New belt..

Postby MartinR » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:15 am

I treat all leather gear with dubbin, and tons of it. Usually put a fresh layer on after each game.

Yes, you do need to let it dry a bit. Neatsfoot oil also takes a day or two to dry or soak in, but I only use that on boots.

Depending on the finish, both may darken the leather a bit but they aren't going weather it. I dubbin stuff to keep it supple and avoid cracking, it also makes it waterproof.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:31 am

Yeah, dubbin is good. It doesn't have a solvent so what isn't absorbed in a couple of days you wipe off. Wafting with a hairdryer speeds things up no end, melting the grease and gets sucked into the leather fibres readily (you can do the job in 10 minutes with no waiting!). That will help with suppleness and drop the starkness. Then add boot polish of your choice to get a depth of colour, shine and patina.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
cdfw
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cdfw » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks for the replies... Dubbin sounds like the way to go..
'Non adepto demens. Adepto etiam'
War does not show who is right, only who is left..
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage Image
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 am

The belt should be made 'rough out'? So it should soak up the dubbin quite well.
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

Return to “Fallschirmjäger”