Tactics and fighting doctrine

Private forum for the use of Hohenstaufen members
Sgt.Heide
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Tactics and fighting doctrine

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:14 am

As you may already know, the German army and the Waffen SS squads' tactics were based around the squads' machine gun. This would provide a base of fire while the others moved up with the squad leader, who was expected to lead by personal example. Using the available cover, they would move as close as possible without opening fire, before a final assault on the objective. We will practice this as often as possible at training days. Del and I have books on tactics, so we have authentic references. Getting to know each other better, by playing and training together will bring the rewards.

Now, what seperates the Waffen SS from the Heer in contemporary accounts, is their tenacity. An SS soldier would go down fighting (particularly as the war neared its' end) and be ferocious in attack. As airsofters, we need to train along the lines that the "life" of one man doesn't matter if it allows the other 9 to complete the objective. So, if a squad leader tells someone to move, they move. Here's an example, taken from a real Waffen SS account....

"The Greek campaign that was to follow the Yugoslavian one was far tougher, however; both the terrain and the tenacious Greek Army provided more resistance to Leibstandarte than Das Reich had faced in Yugoslavia. The forcing of the Klidi and Klissura passes by troops under the command of the legendary SS-Sturmbannführer Kurt Meyer was an excellent achievement by any standards; what happened at Klissura especially was to go down in Waffen-SS folklore, and was to illustrate both the unorthodox style and fanatical bravery of the Waffen-SS:

"We glue ourselves behind rocks and dare not move. A feeling of nausea tightens my throat. I yell to [Untersturmführer] Emil Wawrzinek to get the attack moving. But the good Emil just looks at me as if he has doubts about my sanity. Machine-gun fire smacks against the rocks in front of us... How can I get Wawrzinek to take that first leap? In my distress, I feel the smooth roundness of an egg hand grenade in my hand. I shout at the group. Everybody looks thunderstruck at me as I brandish the hand grenade, pull the pin, and roll it precisely behind the last man. Never again did I witness such a concerted leap forward as at that second. As if bitten by tarantulas, we dive around the rock spur and into a fresh crater. the spell is broken. The hand grenade had cured our lameness. We grin at each other, and head forward toward the next cover".

Due to Meyer's unorthodox tactics, the pass, and 1000 prisoners, were taken at cost of only six men killed and nine wounded; the taking of the town of Kastoria and another 11,000 prisoners the next day surely completed in twenty-four hours what was one of the most magnificent fighting displays of the war, and won Meyer the coveted Ritterkreuz. It was during the Greek campaign where the Waffen-SS was to display a chivalry that stood out against the general atmosphere of the Second World War; the admiration felt by the men of the Leibstandarte toward the Greeks (the feeling was mutual, as was the contempt of the inept, even cowardly, Italians) was to result in "Sepp" Dietrich authorising a surrender which allowed the Greek soldiers to go home and the officers to carry side arms."

You can see what I mean, clearly and concisely. I want the enemy to fear coming up against KG SS, knowing that we will not give an inch and attack them for all we're worth. I don't mean "get killed needlessly" but rather, think of the objective, rather than the thought we might get hit in achieving it. We have medics to sort that out after the objective is taken. I never want to receive another spanking like the Germans got at Husky, it was embarassing (luckily, noone can blame the SS for it! :rofl: ).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!
Pimms
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Tactics and fighting doctrine

Postby Pimms » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Thats a really good idea. Thats one of the things about ww2 airsoft I really like, the attention to detail :D
Hang on! (x) of you, (y) of me, dont mind playing Airsoft, I make that Pimms O’clock
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:18 pm

That is a great quote, Pete - hehe! We now know what awaits us if we fail to advance! :lol:

I think one of the main challenges is to set up the MG with a good field of fire, but not in an exposed position.

ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:21 pm

Steiner wrote:That is a great quote, Pete - hehe! We now know what awaits us if we fail to advance! :lol:

Well, I am planning on buying a lot of grenades! Looks like I've let the cat out of the bag as to why! :twisted:

Forester
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Forester » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:08 pm

I will be in position so that if we have any cowardly dogs you will be dealt with swiftly :twisted:

______________Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:30 pm

I have this mental picture of Keith deployed behind us, sitting on a garden chair with a tripod-mounted MG42... Ruskie-stylee. :lol:

Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:18 pm

This makes for interesting reading.

http://www.dererstezug.com/TacticalPhilosophies.htm

Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:27 pm

Indeed yes. I was thinking about what happens if the squad leader is down - I guess a recognised chain of command might help?

Yes, one of the Yanks' biggest mistakes was to rely on the BAR as a support weapon. It wasn't. Only 20-round mags, and a non-replaceable barrel rendered it utterly useless for suppressing fire.

Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Steiner wrote:Indeed yes. I was thinking about what happens if the squad leader is down - I guess a recognised chain of command might help?

Don't forget that Waffen SS soldiers were also trained to and expected to, think for themselves and exploit oppurtunities as they arose. A lot of it boils down to a bit of good old fashioned self discipline, an amount of training and, above all that, good communication and aggression!

Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:03 pm

I got the quote form a book called "tarnished warriors" but it's quite a well known and well quoted passage.

John, your mindset is good for the kind of tactics we will be employing, particularly in the attack. If we can maximise our firepower and use the medic effectively, we will have the kind of momentum (dare I say "blitzkrieg?") that an attacking force needs. We'll be adopting late war "sturm" squad structure, ie, 2 MG42's and MP40/MP44 instead of rifles, for maximum firepower and suppression. We also need to make it rain with grenades when we assault, I see far too many players just chuck one token pyro, which gives defenders a chance to move away. If the attackers throw several grenades and follow up immediately with bags of full auto and aggression, more often than not, that's enough to carry the day. I'm going to be stockpiling grenades in the build up to the December game. For the training day, we have several dummy stick grenades we can use.

I have a cunning plan for defensive actions too but we'll cover that on another training day.

Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:29 pm

Was thinking of trying a bulk, group order for December. I've just bought 10 ball grenades from Ironfoot for £30 posted (courier service), which isn't bad anyway. I prefer them to the stick grenades and the teeny little Mk5. You can throw a ball grenade a fair distance too, because they're a bit heavier. They're the best compromise on cost for woodland play in my opinion. If we ever do another urban game, I'll get a load of Mk5's, just for room clearance.

Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:21 pm

I buy mine from Ironfoot too. Whilst the stick grenades are cool, the ring pull round ones are cheaper. :wink:

BTW, when playing Heer, I've used splinter pattern grenade sacks, and they're brilliant - I've just ordered some hessian ones from RAU, so I'm hoping they've got zips on, etc. Only a tenner!

Joseph Porta
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Joseph Porta » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

id be interested in 20 ball grenades if a bulk order is going in

i cloud drive panzer up close, then lob grenades over the top :D

if an order gos in , please tell me where to send the cheque , well in advance so funds are cleared b4 order
"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison
nelz
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nelz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:39 pm

..going back to the tactics,... we are of the same mind Pete,... if your are to potray SS,.. then we fight like them,... agressively !!... Spot on,...and believe me it works.

When Tiger-1 fight in private battles, the focused objective, agressively and cohierently taken, always works,... the enemy just crumble and tremble.

....comments after our last private battle " fook me mate !...yer put the shits up us when you all attacked! "...." we didn't know what to do...half of us just froze!" :shock:

with the right attitude, training and field commitment, KGSS can achieve the same results. :lol:
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:38 pm

It would be great to have your input on the t.d, as you've done it a lot more often than we have, on the reenactment scene. I have a few years of real military experience to draw on but only have books and video to go on for real Waffen SS tactics.

I have a few ideas for instilling a bit of aggression into people, as well as a willingness to press forward. I think the hail of covering machine gun fire will help a lot! Also, I think we'll definitely have to look at trying for a bulk pyro order. It looks like between us, we'll want about 100 grenades!

Return to “Hohenstaufen private forum”