Kit recommendations

Private forum for the use of Hohenstaufen members
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Kit recommendations

Postby Steiner » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:34 pm

Yeah, I know there are kit threads already on the forums, but it might be useful for others to post up particular items for KGSS that are good value.

Low boots - Suesue, without a doubt. £50 + p&p, and they're not the cheapo ones CW showed us. (These are selling for £75 elsewhere.)
Planetree smock, M40 (i.e. no pockets) - militaria-net, £40. A bargain. (His M42 ones are £115!!)
Feldgrau uniforms - Pirschen. A tunic and trousers will cost you about £75-80, and the quality is brilliant.
MP40 - AirsoftWarehouse are still advertising them for £65 (closing down sale).
Insignia - well, I've just ordered a couple of bits from pikestaff2 on the forum. Certainly is cheap, I'll let you know how it looks quality-wise.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Lardassmonkey
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Kit recommendations

Postby Lardassmonkey » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm also about to order my insigina and a blurred edge type 2 smock fom pikestaff so will post my opinions when I get them. Price is good though- smock & helmet cover for £50.

I do need recommendations for field kit though- where to get a water bottle, mess tin, gas mask tin and entrenching tool for the best money? Epic looks the best bet for most but the water bottle is always an issue.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:54 pm

Does pikestaff2 have a website? I can only seem to find random postings of stuff - would be useful to have some sort of list of what is available.

Epic looks pretty good for some of those bits, Rich. Water bottles aren't that cheap - ebay is usually the best bet. Del got a repro one recently.

JD7
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby JD7 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:04 pm

Waterbottles - I would suggest Ebay Germany for sourcing - but don't go silly on price.

If you need a metal repro cup, they have not long hit the market - I got one for under £10 - not exact copy but very close.

I've got a WW2 dated bottle/metal cup/cover and leatherworks from ebay Germany and a post war bundy complete set - came from Taffpara also repro metal cup WW2 can be had from either Thomas at Zug or from Zeltplane - but Zelt's postage is £££ (DHL - express delivery).

Repro gasmask tin's have flooded the market - they are not bad copies, but don't pay too much for them either. I bought the one I gave to Zero bravo from HK Keith before he went 'Pete-Tong' you can get them cheaper these days.

Oh I have an entrenching tool for sale - it's either German or Swiss, I can't remember and a repro mess tin lol
Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:28 pm

I don't think Pike staff has a website. He is retired I believe and just has a limited amount of stock left lyimg around he no long requires. Probably best you PM him.

What would you say is a fair price for a waterbottle & GM tin? the ones I've seen are both usually about £40?

Oh and Del I'll take the E-tool as long as the correct type (& does it have a cover?)and mess tin if you're selling. How much?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JD7

Postby JD7 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:03 pm

Lardassmonkey wrote:I don't think Pike staff has a website. He is retired I believe and just has a limited amount of stock left lyimg around he no long requires. Probably best you PM him.

What would you say is a fair price for a waterbottle & GM tin? the ones I've seen are both usually about £40?

Oh and Del I'll take the E-tool as long as the correct type (& does it have a cover?)and mess tin if you're selling. How much?

E-Tool and Mess Tin etc yours as discussed
JD7

Postby JD7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:56 pm

It's good if your in the midlands, or north-ish to arrange a drop past his 'bunker' - I've procured several hi-spec, but lowered price items :good:
JD7

Postby JD7 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:41 pm

John M wrote:Wouldn't mind one of his better quality Dot 44 uniforms at some point. :D

that's one set on my list of kit to buy
Kermit

Postby Kermit » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:35 pm

JD7 wrote:
John M wrote:Wouldn't mind one of his better quality Dot 44 uniforms at some point. :D

that's one set on my list of kit to buy

Same here Del. I've got a real nasty feeling that 2009 is going to be a *very* expensive year :roll:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

When we were a Kingdom it was run by a King
When we were an Empire it was run by an Empress
Now we're a country we're run by a..........
jay851
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby jay851 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:31 pm

hi guys
can anyone recommend where to get a good quality m35 helmet from.
i know ebay is flooded with cheap ones but would rather pay a bit more and get a decent looking one, in dark green with ss decals preferably.
also would like one of them tube scarfs,cant remember the proper name :roll:

cheers
jay
Image ImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:51 pm

jay851 wrote:preferably.
also would like one of them tube scarfs,cant remember the proper name :roll:

Toque - would recommend Suesue for that.

Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:56 pm

Mine is also from Spearhead, Jay - I didn't want to post that, because I thought someone might have a link to a super quality one - but I have no complaints - very comfortable.

Old Un

Postby Old Un » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:05 pm

Yep spearhead do proper (ish) sized ones . You need to get one that fits the size of your head ..er stating the obvious ..the cheapo £35 tend to make most people look like they bought small by mistake. If in doubt go XL , there will always be a market for big ones rather than little ones. See any 60's war film made with Spanish extras to understand the pimple on a mountain look .

Re waterbottles with metal cups ....argh . yes German ebay for originals £40-50, which will get you a cup and probably a bottle you don't want to put water in . I then bought a Swiss one from Warren for £15 which is safe to use and prety much thesame size. and then had a new leather strap made up (they always rot) . One day I might buy a repro cover from SoF for a complete , looks ok on the outside, can use it on the inside bottle . If your not so assed the bakelite cups are available repro, but are so small as not to be worth a doodley IMHO
Not sure ifthe 1l medics ones are more easily obtainable ?
Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:01 pm

I just can't believe nobody makes repro water bottles. You can find everything else and you'd think there would be the demand so why does nobody do it?! I am considering getting one from SOF as the list them for £40 although it doesn't say whether it includes the cup & strap or what condition its likely to be in.

I'm also looking for a helmet like Jay. I'd prefer to try before I buy but with no shows before the next game my hands are tied. I'm not bother about a good shell finish since I plan to customise mine anyway but a good fitting liner is a must. I think I'll get one that is a size larger than my head as I ended up doing with my M38 as you say Guy its better to be too big than too small.

I said I'd give my opinion on my smock & helmet coverfrom Pikestaff when I got it and I obviously have now (as I was wearing my smock on sunday :D ).
I'd say I'm pretty happy with it. The material thickness/quality seems decent enough, although I should have compared it with others as the training day. I did manage to rip it under the arm but this was my fault- I was in too much of a hurry and didn't undo it before trying to put it on. :slap: Don't know my own strength sometimes. :rofl: Should be an easy fix though.
The pattern and colouration also looks good, slightly fainter than others I have seen but I believe thats pretty accurate and I think it looks good.

[stitch couner mode] In terms of construction accuracy I also think it is pretty good, it has the apparently correct longer cuffs and higher waistband you don't get on some others. It even has what looks like hand stitched draw string holes! [/stich counter mode]

Anyway I'd recommend one; can't really go wrong at £50 for smock and helmet cover. :good:
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:16 pm

Argh... I saw somewhere doing repro metal cups for the Feldflasche, but I can't remember where... :roll:

Return to “Hohenstaufen private forum”