Come on Germans!!!!

CiA 2nd Anniversary event - 'Unternehmen Herbstnebel'
spiers
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: Come on Germans!!!!

Postby spiers » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:16 pm

It's ok because Germans trying to run with MG42's make slow EASY targets :wink: Only joking guys, just think that the ratio of support guns to assault weapons should be at a certain balance. But hey, not my place to make that judgement call.
Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who will fight!
General James M. Gavin

CRY HAVOC AND LET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gadge
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Gadge » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:32 pm

A late war rifle section was issued 2 of them per nine men.

Not unheard of for a third to be acquired

1943 german panzergrenadier platoon organisation was thus:
(im translating this from the German so i might not be 100 % accurate with words)

command section
officer - mp40
sharpshooter - k98opt
driver - k98
Signaller/runner - k98
Runner - k-98
Medic?
plus one other guy a 'richtschutze zugl Kw. Beifahr... (no idea what that job is)

Then 3 combat sections of:

Nco- MP40
pte - k98
Mg gunner - mg 42
loader - pistol shown only
Mg gunner - Mg 42
loader - pistol shown only
At gunner - panzerschreck + k98
loader for above - k98
driver - k98
MG gunner for halftrack - k98

Thats a ten man half track section, lorried infantry had twelve per section but again a minimum opf 2 MG42 per section. It was the base of fire for the section and the riflemen really were there to provide cover when it moves and to put in assaults and to supply ammo. If the MG42 gunner died the squad would retain the weapon as long as possible.

So if you were being historical the germans should have at least six on their side...

Then again bear in mind a US airborne platoon had *three* m1919 .30 cals and three BARs plus a bazooka and a 60mil mortar on the orbat it balances out pretty well... (and a glider platoon had .50 cals on the paper strength.)

(source militaria magazine no/203 'panzers in normandy' bear in mind its in french this mag and the squad roles are in german so i'm partially going off the accompanying chart/diagram and illustration.)
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
Steinlager
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Steinlager » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:43 pm

Although this doesnt give the weapons each man used this company order of battle gives a good idea of the organisation of a grenadier company

http://www.members.shaw.ca/grossdeutsch ... anyoob.htm
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dayglowfroggy
First Posting
First Posting

Postby dayglowfroggy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Just to go slightly back a bit does this mean yes bring the SG1 ??
I do have a 249 with a box mag but no bipod for it and no way of getting one in time unless someone has one of those universal barrel mounting ones they could bring can't say i would want to lug the 249 around all day though .
I am sort of thinking along the lines of what i can carry in one trip from the parking area to the headquarters were I will be based for the day otherwise it would not be a problem I could bring 6 aeg's .
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:09 pm

Remember guys, support weapons need to be bipod-deployed or shot from the shoulder of a non-shooting player so choose carefully. Having said that, suppressing fire might be useful. Just make sure you can carry it far enough!

@ DGFroggy - if it doesn't have a bipod you will have to use it as an SMG, not a support weapon so I wouldn't bother. AEGs will be fine, but why would you ever need six of them?!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:15 pm

What Headshot says.
Froggy/Panzelied - your questions/comments about weapons to bring need to be in the Axis section really!

General note to players: if your thinking of bringing a support weapon but don't want to lug it around all day then don't bring it 'cos it will only stay in the car!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dayglowfroggy
First Posting
First Posting

Postby dayglowfroggy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:25 pm

I find that I like to use a different aeg on each game during a skirmish,It's also the result of having a far too large armory and trying to justifie it by getting a little bit of use out of everything I think I have 10 aeg's one sniper and three pistols thats not bad by my standards.
It also means i can lend out if anyone gets a problem.
I know this is different and for this sort of event I should only need two aeg's and maybe a sniper.
One aeg as back up .

Point taken about the support gun issues will go and talk in secret to my comrades about what is required :whistle:
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:26 pm

I think you might be misunderstanding our games a little. :wink:

You'll be in the field and on the go all day with only a break for lunch. It's highly likely that you won't return to your CP at all until lunch break, so you won't have the opportunity to swap guns. You'll also be carrying a lot of your kit with you.

Our regulars usually only carry one weapon and maybe a side arm.

More important is that you are able to move swiftly and quietly.

Still, s'up to you! :good:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JD7

Postby JD7 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:34 pm

HeadShot wrote:I think you might be misunderstanding our games a little. :wink:

You'll be in the field and on the go all day with only a break for lunch. It's highly likely that you won't return to your CP at all until lunch break, so you won't have the opportunity to swap guns. You'll also be carrying a lot of your kit with you.

Our regulars usually only carry one weapon and maybe a side arm.

More important is that you are able to move swiftly and quietly.

Still, s'up to you! :good:

Heh, Steiner's taking his landser kart - with all our weapons :rofl:
Lardassmonkey
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Lardassmonkey » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:38 am

If any germans need a bit of extra winter warmth I have an east german great coat I can lend out- 42 chest. I thought my Pirchen kit wouldn't be here in time and I would have to use it but I guess not. :D It has no insignia or anything (as I use it to walk the dog) but should look ok under a smock.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dayglowfroggy
First Posting
First Posting

Postby dayglowfroggy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:31 pm

Just been out walking my dog in what i plan to wear thermals then gortex then splinter smock and combats over the top .
Was just starting to feel pleased with myself thinking I had it just right when that little bit of excursion brought me out in that sort of pin prick sweat all over and buy the time I got home I was boiling up.
Think one less thermal layer on top if it's around as cold as it is today ,then warm layer to put on at lunch time .
biguk
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby biguk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:07 pm

You must of been bloody hot for a heat rash to appear. Thats almost heat stroke.
dayglowfroggy
First Posting
First Posting

Postby dayglowfroggy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:54 am

I don't think it was heat rash but you know that sort of come on fast type of overheating that happens when playing airsoft .
One minute you think your comfortable then the next thing you have only run 100 yards and you are sweating like crazy and end up wet on the inside of all your layers .
It was like that .
It was not made any better by coming into a roasting house with the heating up full .

Return to “Operation Autumn Mist - 14th December 2008”