Be prepared

CiA 2nd Anniversary event - 'Unternehmen Herbstnebel'
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Be prepared

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:37 pm

Following out final site visit today in 3 degrees with only the slightest of breezes it's official - it's perishing cold up there.

Please, please come prepared: Thermal leggings under your wool/cotton trousers, jumpers under your jackets. Scarves, gloves, greatcoats, toques are the order of the day. As always, multiple layers are the best way to dress - several thin layers are preferable to one thick one. If you are wearing period footwear then use insulating insoles. Stuff a spare pair of socks in a pocket - step in a quagmire and you are going to have very cold feet all day, so taking a moment out of the game to pull on dry socks will make all the difference.

If you are getting cold then get your blood moving - grab that e-tool and get digging. Sweating is preferable to shivering! You will be provided with a hot meal at lunchtime from your field kitchen - take advantage of it, even if you are not hungry!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BedsnHerts
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Be prepared

Postby BedsnHerts » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:06 pm

My advice is to buy a set of ICEBREAKER merino wool base layer - get them from Amazon or any decent winter sports shop. They are not the cheapest but are absolutely brilliant (Something so thin that keeps you so warm is almost witchcraft). Much better than Helly Hansen. They also draw the sweat away from the skin so don't get waterlogged like cotton-based thermals and don't stink like a pig's arse after 10 minutes like the synthetic ones.
Wraith666
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Wraith666 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:44 pm

I shall perform a one man raid on clothing stores before the event, thanks for the info
"Will you stop talking about the war!!"
"What, you started it!"
"We did NOT start it!"
"Yes you did, you invaded Poland..."

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Once game on is called there will be no returning to cars until endex.
Please bring all the kit for a days gaming with you (ammo, batteries, spare gun, waterproofs, provisions, water etc)
Allies and Axis will have a permanent HQs where you can deposit your spare kit.
We are eating in-game as part of the game - bring mess tins and cutlery with you. If you don't have a mess tin just bring a bowl of some sort.

Please wear a watch - this game is an exercise in coordination, teamwork and discipline. Losing track of time or missing your rendezvous will spell disaster for your team's chances of winning.

If you have a compass please bring it. It's a confusing site to orientate yourself!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:02 pm

right then.

need to buy a watch... :oops:

Wraith666
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Wraith666 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:47 am

I need to get a spare gun, and some more rounds for my K98, only got five!
"What, you started it!"
"We did NOT start it!"

Joseph Porta

Postby Joseph Porta » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:00 am

if your using a dboys k98 wraith, 5 rounds will be enough, i skirmish mine with 20 rounds, i RARELY use all 20 before either dying or a break in action long enough to pop a few BB`s back in the shells comes allong :good:
"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison
taffyjohn

Postby taffyjohn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:55 am

We were playing in a heavy frost all day yesterday and it wasn't nice, seal skin socks help in keeping your feet warmer over a pair of normal socks :) need something to stop the runny nose though :)
http://www.theexsitewales.co.uk/
ImageImage
Is it coz I is Welsh

Welsh and proud

Your all fekin bonkers
Wraith666
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Wraith666 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:15 pm

I used mine on sunday Jo, I was'nt impressed with the results, mainly the cold is makeing it play up, 2 jammed shells and 3 fail fires out of ten shot is not good., so will be bringing my L96 sniper dressed in lots of sandbagging.
"What, you started it!"
"We did NOT start it!"

Joseph Porta

Postby Joseph Porta » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:31 pm

i had a great jam at husky, a jammed round in the breach, i needed a screwdriver to clear it, i HAD to pull a pistol for a legitimate reason, the fear factor as your advanced on is great.

i know dboys k98 have shite fps, shite accuraccy and 5 rounds , but in my personal view the realisim of loading far offsets the rifles faults, and used carefully it CAN get kills.

also i crossed a ridge at husky, and pointed my dboys at two americans with thompsons, both saw the K98 and shouted "sniper" and vanished in to the bushes without even fireing a shot at me.

the fear of the tanaka also works in the dboys favour, people cant tell the difference, and assume its a tanaka :rofl:
"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison
JD7
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby JD7 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:39 pm

Joseph Porta wrote:i had a great jam at husky, a jammed round in the breach, i needed a screwdriver to clear it, i HAD to pull a pistol for a legitimate reason, the fear factor as your advanced on is great.

i know dboys k98 have shite fps, shite accuraccy and 5 rounds , but in my personal view the realisim of loading far offsets the rifles faults, and used carefully it CAN get kills.

also i crossed a ridge at husky, and pointed my dboys at two americans with thompsons, both saw the K98 and shouted "sniper" and vanished in to the bushes without even fireing a shot at me.

the fear of the tanaka also works in the dboys favour, people cant tell the difference, and assume its a tanaka :rofl:

:rofl: and we don't normally use any scopes :wink:
Wraith666
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Wraith666 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:46 pm

Yeah, I had the Jammed round in the chamber aswell, needed a cleaning rod to push it back out, it's a shame that the cleaning rod on the gun is a fake, it would be handy if it worked, I'm going to bring it anyway, but can't see me using it for long, I am a much better sniper, had a complement after sunday from a lad that I shot in the forehead, through a gap between his goggles and hat that was no more that 1cm apart, hehe!
"What, you started it!"
"We did NOT start it!"

HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Okay folks.

The ambient temperatures overnight this weekend are going to be around -4c on the site. Add to this air moisture and wind chill and it could feel closer to -10c.

Please, PLEASE, make sure you have adequate cold and wet weather gear with you. We really don't want to have to deal with any cases of hypothermia.

As a side note to this, I'm being deadly serious. A friend of mine developed hypothermia in similar conditions and it sets in quick. Keep an eye on your comrades and if anyone is acting strangely (hyperactivity, uncontrollable shivering, then clumsiness and apathy are tell tale signs) please do let someone know.

Of course, there might be some drunkenness on Saturday night so it could be hard to tell. :|

S
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:07 pm

HeadShot wrote:Okay folks.

Of course, there might be some drunkenness on Saturday night so it could be hard to tell. :|

S

I hear alcohol consumption is a good way to fend of hypothermia :lol:

(That was a joke I should hasten to add, just in case anyone took me seriously and died. Because I should then feel really quite bad.)

taffyjohn

Postby taffyjohn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:11 pm

I hear alcohol consumption is a good way to fend of hypothermia :lol:

(That was a joke I should hasten to add, just in case anyone took me seriously and died. Because I should then feel really quite bad.)[/quote]

You would only feel bad until the wake then more alcohol :)
http://www.theexsitewales.co.uk/
ImageImage
Is it coz I is Welsh

Welsh and proud

Your all fekin bonkers

Return to “Operation Autumn Mist - 14th December 2008”