The Past, Present and Future

Discussion forum for Comrades in Arms members.
imp1864
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: The Past, Present and Future

Postby imp1864 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:28 pm

S'alright, just didn't want people to attribute things to us that we hadn't done...for better or worse! Reading what you wrote I though it could be read that way. Your green grocer analogy works for me. I just like apples...or is it oranges?[/quote]
Fancy a peach?[/quote]

Got any nectarines?[/quote]
See this is the problem. There's always one :wink:
ImageImageImage
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Keeping with the market stall analogy, many of the buyers at this metaphorical market are now not just being tempted with different fruits but are now wanting to sample potatoes (Cold War), rice (Nam), beef jerky (flying Lead) and even freeze dried potatoes (wastlander)! :giggle: these genres all offer similar immersive experiences as ww2 does, and lots of players including many old sweats on here are choosing these instead or as well as.

There are only so many weekends available that either don't clash or that we have free and with the best will in the world not many can do everything. My own personal life has severely curtailed my event attendance this year.

With that said I don't personally think that WW2 is on the demise, as Andy said there are new players joining who do "get it" and there is still lots of enthusiasm and many innovations and fresh ideas moving things forward. Waldek's rifles only games, Porta''s LARP melee weapons usage to name just a couple. I also think that levels of role-playing by players just gets better and better at each event, shouts of "hit" are a very rare thing now and lots really get into the whole deference to rank and playing their character of private or sergeant etc to the letter. All signs of progress in my book! :good:
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby MartinR » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:41 pm

And as only four people are actually debating this, it would seem no one really cares.

A lot of this thread seems to be a rehash of stuff people have said on the forum recently anyway.

Personally I'm not hugely convinced that 'niche' games (rifles, LARP weapons or whatever) are the way to go if you are concerned abut inclusivity, however they are entertaining to play for a change. I seem to have ended up going to all three, but partly because I'll go to any WW2 game I'm able to get to, whatever the format.

I'd just echo Boshmans comments about the enthusiasm which many players continue to bring to the game, I was amazed at the efforts people had gone to for 'Crete'. Just need to tap into that enthusiasm I guess, like Fritz managed to do with his Bastogne game last year. Glass half full :good:

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Old Un
Fought at the Battle of Hastings
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Old Un » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:05 pm

Sometimes boys you just need to stop flogging that dead horse.....

It was fun because it was new, and was populated by people who became mates , and a fair few nobbers , but we managed to accommodate and work around them . Comrades in Arms , the clue was in the title ...

The people who went to those events in 06 /07/ 08 have all moved on ..... build a bridge..... get over it !

Plus....face it ..... you're all getting a bit long in the tooth to be running around with toy guns in woods :slap:

Much love

XXX

Alte !
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:10 pm

How old is too old for "running around with toy guns in woods" ? 25? 35? 45, 55? I stil enjoy it, and still have good friends who attend. It's sad when old friends give up, but I'm not giving up yet, because I enjoy it! :good:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Joseph Porta

Postby Joseph Porta » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Sorry to necro this , but i havent been on here for a few weeks.

nearly all my best ever airsoft experiences have been at CIA games.
i also used to be really upset when i couldnt make a game, i felt like i "needed" to be there.

a fair bit of personal problems at home meant i had to take a break from the scene, but i came back for borzyn and loved it again

i still have very fond memories of games, and of people i met at those games. Huskey , Wotan, Bulge, arnhem, borzyn, and devils hill all come to mind, and as much as for the socials as the actual airsoft.

almost burning several people alive at various socials , to replacing yiths U.S flag and blameing the "Moths" for the big hole, and taking a shit into oddballs tank at huskey i had some cracking laughs, and will miss them all.

i will still enedevour to attend any future CIA events, personal shite in life permitting, BUT FFS PLEASE DONT RUN CIA EVENTS IN JULY , i can never make them, i must have missed the big event every year because of the july curse.

Thanks to everyone in CIA over the years , and hope to see something in the future.
As for long in the tooth, i was when i started ww2 airsoft , so not worried about that.

nice to hear from you though Guy , hope lifes going well mate :good:
"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison
Joseph Porta

Postby Joseph Porta » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:55 pm

a few fond memories
27_THPZR_2.jpg
27_THPZR_2.jpg (265.32 KiB) Viewed 830 times

S6001445.jpg