And many thanks

Lardassmonkey
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: And many thanks

Postby Lardassmonkey » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:57 pm

I've been reading this thread all day but forgot I hadn't posted- came on last night but was so tired I gave up. :slap:

Another truely excellent event, certainly up there as one of my favourites. It certainly put the ghost of Autumn Mist to rest in my mind. I felt immersed in the scenario the whole time, feeling confident in victory but unsure of what awaited us.

It was great being part of the pioneers with our special tasks, particularly sweeping the railway for mines. It doesn't half make you nervous stepping over tripwires when you feel you could come under fire at any time- even though you only just seeing fleeting glimpses of tommy hemets moving in the distance. Plus having to move back and forth over the tripwires to report said sightings, only to be told to carry on with the task in hand! I only wish we could have had more special tasks to do- I'd happily play a pioneer again (and its an excuse for more kit! :lol: ).

Everyone seemed to truely got themselves into the spirit of the period and played in the right frame of mind, following orders and not seeking out contacts. Everyones kit looked fantastic as well, a great effort despite the heat - the only bit of camo being Jays helmet cover (and being a officer he's allowed). Although the Brits were excellent at highly effective and using natural camouflage in their helmets and their BD blended in very well making them damn hard to spot at times. Great to see so many rifles in use as well.

I only have two critisms. One, as Steiner said, lunch was a bit long; in fact I was expecting the game to continue whilst we were rotated out to eat. I guess the Brit must have done that since the Bridge was blow (again) whilst we were still awaiting orders.
The second was, as others have said that it did feel the Brits were more on the front foot than they perhaps should have been at times. They may just be my persepective but it didn't feel we were fighting a defeated army.

Thanks again to Steve, Guy, Dave and Jay for another cracker, Alex for the use of his excellent site ( I look forward to going back) and his mum for the lovely grub as well as Helga for providing a much needed breakfast (although I forgot to give you my contribution - remind me next time I see you :oops: ).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Lardassmonkey wrote:I only have two critisms. One, as Steiner said, lunch was a bit long; in fact I was expecting the game to continue whilst we were rotated out to eat. I guess the Brit must have done that since the Bridge was blow (again) whilst we were still awaiting orders.
The second was, as others have said that it did feel the Brits were more on the front foot than they perhaps should have been at times. They may just be my persepective but it didn't feel we were fighting a defeated army.

Let's address those points then. Lunch arrival was due at 12.30 but was slightly later. Both commanders were by then retaining returning troops into HQs rather than sending them out again unfed. Brit's food arrived by runner a good while later as we were so much further away. Chaps were well knackered on the Brit side and they really did need the break. So, no tactical reasons, both sides restarted at the same time - in fact Brits might have been later as it was hard to get them to their feet!

Brits on front foot? Question of perspective I suppose - I thought we were on the back foot all morning being pushed further and further back and we had no supplies to use until we reached a decent HQ. We seemed to have more vim and be bolder in the afternoon though, much have been the corned beef hash that did it!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kermit

Postby Kermit » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Lardassmonkey wrote: Everyones kit looked fantastic as well, a great effort despite the heat - the only bit of camo being Jays helmet cover (and being a officer he's allowed)

That had nowt to do with it Rich :rofl:

Although SS-TK were issued with helmet covers for the western campaign, the real reason for using it was that I'd been a bit of a 'tard. I'd bought some top quality helmet decals, then kinda lost them in the house somewhere :slap: . M35 SS without decals? It just looks WRONG!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

When we were a Kingdom it was run by a King
When we were an Empire it was run by an Empress
Now we're a country we're run by a..........
Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Yes I realise the Brits probably needed a good rest and thei food to longer to get there but we Germans were ready to go. You could have just sent up out to guard things even if there were no brits around a we'd have been happy. :D

So, no tactical reasons, both sides restarted at the same time - in fact Brits might have been later as it was hard to get them to their feet!

Well some of them must have been keen because the bridge (rubble) went up pretty quick. :lol:

Brits on front foot? Question of perspective I suppose - I thought we were on the back foot all morning being pushed further and further back and we had no supplies to use until we reached a decent HQ

Indeed it may have just been a matter of perspective but the Brits didn't feel like a defeated force running for their lives alot of the time. Maybe they just worked together extremely well as a team but they always seemed to be able to push forward very agressively which is not what I would have expected from a fragmented force on the run and low on ammo.

Although SS-TK were issued with helmet covers for the western campaign, the real reason for using it was that I'd been a bit of a 'tard. I'd bought some top quality helmet decals, then kinda lost them in the house somewhere

Ah, I just thought you were exercising your right as an officer to wear Gucci kit. I only got my helmet decals in place in the morning as I got them from Anthony.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dieselmonkey
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby dieselmonkey » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Lardassmonkey wrote:Well some of them must have been keen because the bridge (rubble) went up pretty quick. :lol:

Yup, that was my trailblazing down through the brambles/cliffs/water to get to the tunnel where we planted our explosive!

I've fact, our section got there that fast, we had to wait for the demo guys to turn up! :lol:
HeadShot
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby HeadShot » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Lardassmonkey wrote:Indeed it may have just been a matter of perspective but the Brits didn't feel like a defeated force running for their lives alot of the time. Maybe they just worked together extremely well as a team but they always seemed to be able to push forward very agressively which is not what I would have expected from a fragmented force on the run and low on ammo.

Well, six of us found ourselves BEHIND your base in the morning and you were in between us and our final coastal destination so we needed to punch through to get to safety!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:21 pm

the curfew thing..... i love a good piss up, but both gadge and i had medication issues so we couldnt go crazy on the booze, i hope to be fully fit for the next game so that wont be a problem again, but i do think an area for those who dont drink/want an early night is a good idea. i felt great for only having 3 weak beers and getting some shut eye.

oh, and the firefights were rifle engagements, so they seemed to last for ages, but only a few rounds were fired because shots were picked not just blatted for the sake of it. i thought i had got 4 kills all day, i managed to confirm one (che), possibly two( lardarse, but both ramsey and i were firing at him so i might have to settle for a half kill) but to me it didnt seem like the brits were too agresive attacking, we aggresively counter attack, but i felt under the cosh plenty. the immersment was total.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:26 pm

God I loved those rifle engagements. Many times going up against another guy with a bolt action. Popping out of cover to fire a shot, then ducking back in to re-cock the rifle and fire again.

Awesome.

Even more awesome when with a squad of about 4, 3 with rifles, one with a tommy. The tommy user had run out of ammo and we came to the fore with our bolt actions. This happened several times as well. The tommy user usually being the one that gained the attention of the enemy, we were able to shoot far more effectively.

Again, spot on.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Old Un

Postby Old Un » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:27 pm

scaleyback wrote:the curfew thing..... i love a good piss up, but both gadge and i had medication issues so we couldnt go crazy on the booze, i hope to be fully fit for the next game so that wont be a problem again, but i do think an area for those who dont drink/want an early night is a good idea. i felt great for only having 3 weak beers and getting some shut eye.

oh, and the firefights were rifle engagements, so they seemed to last for ages, but only a few rounds were fired because shots were picked not just blatted for the sake of it. i thought i had got 4 kills all day, i managed to confirm one (che), possibly two( lardarse, but both ramsey and i were firing at him so i might have to settle for a half kill) but to me it didnt seem like the brits were too agresive attacking, we aggresively counter attack, but i felt under the cosh plenty. the immersment was total.

Perhaps we could have a "quiet" zone for camping in future ...actually we normally call them the Allies camping quarters.
All the D&B crew turned in at 2am as asked, the loudest pisshead on site after that was one of your very own ......
scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:31 pm

i doesnt bother me...... i am a very heavy sleeper.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:32 pm

Guilty as charged. It was me lardy and one other ally awake at the end...

I did pay for it in the morning.

scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Chomley-Warner wrote:
Yith wrote:Yup... and that was the only bit of the day I didn't really like.

On getting back to Blighty you have no doubt discovered that you are on a charge for challenging your superior officer's orders. Perhaps this might make you reflect on the required blind obedience to orders, no matter what the consequences!

i didnt get back to blighty...... i made the supreme sacrifice for my mates. they will turn up on the shores of normandy in a couple of years to avenge us.
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:16 pm

Yith wrote:Guilty as charged. It was me lardy and one other ally awake at the end...

The other one was me and I went to bed because there was noone else up! Mind you, I only got an hours kip after that. I spent the early hours constructively though. First I had chille and a couple of mugs of coffee for brekky, then wobbled up to the range to setup my Enfield, which promptly broke just before game on! Bugger.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Ah right... sorry for forgetting you. Blame the booze!

I got up in the morning and managed to get into my full kit quite quickly. Then just couldn't be arsed to get out of it all... Sat around feeling rather unwell... By game on things were better, thanks mostly to Helga's Pain killers! (you're a star, yet again!) and the half Sausage McMuffin from Pete... Once in game though I must admit I took a back seat for about the first hour... I was very happy to let others run around for a bit whilst I rested.

Wladek

Postby Wladek » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:22 pm

Do you notice that David had replaced the buttons and modified his field cap as drunkenly ordered?

Return to “Operation Ariel - 5th July 2009”