Home Guard

A Comrades in Arms weekender @ Grafton Park, Northamptonshire
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: Home Guard

Postby Pete_59 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 pm

From comments made when I posted this and other photos of my Grandfather elsewhere I get the impression that it wasn't unknown for the numbers/letters to be reversed, however nothing was said as to why this happened.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:31 pm

The reason is that the patches were sent out initially without instructions. The different units around the country had to work out what to do with them and some got it wrong.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Universal Gunner wrote:Yes and no. I think the actual Home Guard patch was often woven while the battalion badges were printed.

Ok, both can be used. The official ones are printed, but there were a lot of other unofficial types used, including ones in all the colours of the rainbow. It just depends on the unit.

BTW, with the printed ones from divpatch, I was wrong. Cut around the white box, then fold almost right up to the lettering and iron.

Also, the titles are supposed to go 1 inch down from the shoulder seam.

(I found my book...)

As for material used, it's suggested the lining from BD jackets is right... I might be able to get hold of some stencils to make the badges...

For Glamorganshire we need Welch Regiment cap badges. Note the spelling. It changed from Welsh to Welch in 1920/21.

Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Monty delivered swiftly. Bimetal cap badge looks fine to me. Both the shoulder title and the division patches are embroidered on battledress coloured reinforced-back felt.
Attachments
IMG_8748a.jpg
IMG_8748a.jpg (144.64 KiB) Viewed 552 times
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Universal Gunner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:13 pm

Chomley-Warner wrote:Monty delivered swiftly. Bimetal cap badge looks fine to me. Both the shoulder title and the division patches are embroidered on battledress coloured reinforced-back felt.

Found I had actually already ordered these from them too while ordering something else, had to collect packet from the Post Office this morning. I like the Home Guard patch but the battalion identifiers seem to get lost on the Battledress. Got a badge on its way too off Ebay so may be a while!

Yith wrote:As for material used, it's suggested the lining from BD jackets is right... I might be able to get hold of some stencils to make the badges...

I guess that would make some sort of sense but seems quite light. Then again most originals are pretty old and grubby by now.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
McVickers
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby McVickers » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Universal Gunner wrote:
Yith wrote:As for material used, it's suggested the lining from BD jackets is right... I might be able to get hold of some stencils to make the badges...

I guess that would make some sort of sense but seems quite light. Then again most originals are pretty old and grubby by now.

The original Herts HG ones I've got are printed and the fabric is a cotton gabardine in a dark mustard yellow/khaki; yes, very similar to the lining material as found on original BD items.

If I pull my finger out, I could probably try to screen print some at home - but no promises to do so, as yet! I've got loads on my plate at the mo...
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Most shoulder titles I've come across so far seem to be a yellow/buff coloured embroidery, not white, on serge. The IWM collection also shows printed on kharki cotton drill though. And I haven't found battalion numbers/letters not printed on khaki cotton drill. So, the Monty's Locker set may well be more wrong than right.

Well, if anyone is suffering angst on what is or isn't "correct" then I'll just reiterate the game uniform advice - unbadged uniforms are perfectly fine.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm

In the "bible" there is one home guard patch not unlike your one from monty. However you'll want to trim about half the spare serge around the edge off it to be the same.

As I said before though, the official ones were printed. As were the letters and numbers. There were unofficial woven ones, but not many.

Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Yes, it's odd but it is hard to find on interweb a photo of shoulder titles that aren't embroidered! Being a rather self-important Captain though, I have splashed out on private purchase insignia. No coupons required. Unlike brown boots which definitely did require coupons, all of which the wife has blagged to go towards my daughter's wedding dress and bride's mother's outfit. I couldn't put my (black booted) foot down on that one. But I shall insist she wears the same outfit (the wife, not the daughter) for the forthcoming Victory celebrations, which surely can't be that far away.
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:47 pm

me. I am gonna be home guard.

Mr Captain Chomley Warner is too important a man not to have suitable administrative aides.

Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Then our task is quarter done. Britain didn't get where it is today without having forms submitted in triplicate (what an invention carbon paper is!), cards stamped with abandon and chitties approved and initialled.

Return to “Hut 9 - 1/2/3 August 2014”