Looking to hire/borrow RAF kit for a film

Moderators: Chomley-Warner, Mattywheels

Ghost MacRoth
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Looking to hire/borrow RAF kit for a film

Postby Ghost MacRoth » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:48 am

Now, when I say kit, I don't really mean uniforms. Basically working on a film that features a radar command room towards the end of the story, so am looking to source all the equipment you'd have in the room. The tables with maps on, the aircraft markers, the shuffly sticks for the operators, headsets, period phones, tannoys, or any other 'techy' type stuff. Would be wanted within the next 2 weeks or so, but can't be specific till the scedule for filming comes out. I know it's a longshot, and we're gonna likely end up making most of this stuff, but if you don't ask, you'll not get, eh?
oddball
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Looking to hire/borrow RAF kit for a film

Postby oddball » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:05 pm

I have a microwave oven that was to be used in Dirty Dozen and wasn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni-h3HN1fgk

I suspect I am a bit far away though.

I used to have a bag of about 20 x WW2 patern RAF control room headsets but they got lost when I moved house I think.
Watch VidImage
Free speech is expensive these days!
Ghost MacRoth
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Ghost MacRoth » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Nothing's too far away to be considered, courier costs would be covered by the film should we want to hire yer bits! Will show the radar unit to the designer.

Damn shame about the headsets, that volume would have been perfect!!
oddball

Postby oddball » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:01 pm

These are what I had a bag of.
http://www.britishtelephones.com/head1.htm

A very similar look to 1940's sets used in the opps rooms like The Western Approaches in Liverpool.

When the telephone operators moved out of the old room in Liverpool City Centre these were left behind in heaps so the hoarder that I am could not resist, it was only months later I realised I didn't have them after the move.

I also have had my eye on an old switch board made of Oak that has been stored in town in our parts room and never used one day it will go as scrap. If I had the space I would have taken it years ago but probably tried to sell it to a prop store or over eBay :whistle:

I also have a USAF radio set that came from Burtonwood USAF base, I think it is this one or similar.
Watch VidImage
Ghost MacRoth
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Ghost MacRoth » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:21 am

oddball wrote:Image
I also have had my eye on an old switch board made of Oak that has been stored in town in our parts room and never used one day it will go as scrap. If I had the space I would have taken it years ago but probably tried to sell it to a prop store or over eBay :whistle:

Love that! You'd get a small fortune for that at a decent prophouse!

As for the kit, I should specify it would have to be british, and ideally date between 1935-40.

Cheers!
oddball

Postby oddball » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Well I found one of those headsets as listed above looks the same as the one on those desks at Western probably also got some normal headphones WW2 period.
The radar is written up in German and not made to an exact plan or model but in a background shot could look the part.
Is this film for the big screen or a TV show doc etc?
Watch VidImage
Ghost MacRoth
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Ghost MacRoth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:19 pm

It's a TV Movie depicting the events just before the Battle Of Britain when Robert Watson-Watt and his team developed radar.

Will get back to you on the headset, the Buyer found some, but not sure if she got enough.

Cheers dude!
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Oooh, I stayed at Bawdsey Manor this summer - hope there is some location stuff being shot too. Make sure to remember to post up a transmission date when its happens!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ghost MacRoth
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Ghost MacRoth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:32 pm

Unfortunately not CW, all being shot in and around Edinburgh. Hopefully we can fake it nicely so no one will mind too much! ;) Will indeed keep you informed of transmission date when I learn it. :good:
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Ghost MacRoth wrote:It's a TV Movie depicting the events just before the Battle Of Britain when Robert Watson-Watt and his team developed radar.

Will get back to you on the headset, the Buyer found some, but not sure if she got enough.

Cheers dude!

On that photo you posted, the third exchange console along has a chest-mounted microphone (which was actually used mainly with field based wireless sets with the 'Microphone, Hand, No.3/No.4/No.4A, etc...'), rather than a 'Headset No.1'. Now, I know where you can get quite a few 'Microphones, Telephones, Mk10X [Admiralty Pattern 1192A]' in unissued "new in-box" condition (some may have storage damage to the boxes) from, for just £4 each (probably less if you buy in bulk (if they have enough left!). How far away from Doncaster do you live Ghost, or can your Buyer travel? May need to make two trips - one to talk and arrange the purchase from the supplier, and the other to collect then when they sort them out from their stores.

They look like this on the left (but no headset, that's a different item), but in brand new looking condition:
Mk10X.JPG
Mk10X
Mk10X.JPG (798.27 KiB) Viewed 427 times

If that is what you'd be happy with, I'll let you know my secret supplier by PM ;-)
I've got three of these myself (from said supplier), so I can take more photos if you'd like?
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ghost MacRoth
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Ghost MacRoth » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:31 am

That's exactly like the ones we are getting from the 'Museum Of Communications' in Burnt Island! No need to travel though, she could phone to arrange payments, and just have the stuff posted up. PM me the details of who has them please dude, and thanks for the pointer!
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Ghost MacRoth wrote:That's exactly like the ones we are getting from the 'Museum Of Communications' in Burnt Island! No need to travel though, she could phone to arrange payments, and just have the stuff posted up. PM me the details of who has them please dude, and thanks for the pointer!

Have PM'd you on Thursday, but it's still sitting in my outbox saying that you've not read it yet?
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ghost MacRoth
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Ghost MacRoth » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:50 am

Yep, sorry fella, having bother with t'internet at the propstore I've moved to, and the B&B I'm in is no better!! Sorted now I think.

Doubt they will be able to check that store out with the timescale we are working with, but it's being tucked away in my referance book for future projects! Cheers dude!
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:59 pm

oddball wrote:Image

eBay: 121180007126

oddball

Postby oddball » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 am

Watch VidImage

Return to “Wanted - archive”