Bren and again and again

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
dadio
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Bren and again and again

Postby dadio » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:54 pm

SCVNGR wrote:I have just ordered a ZB, so now taking vary detailed notes :)

They are frustratingly close to a bren , and unfortunately shockingly poorly cast so you find you can't change some of the things you want to for fear of weakening the main body of the gun , it was heart in my mouth every time I've had it on the mill , I guess it really depends on how close you want it to being perfect , for instance you could use epoxy filler to remodel the original barrel .
I think the biggest problem is the stock though , it really is a case of "dear god why " , they could have used an ak gearbox and not had the motor in the stock , this leaves the stock really thin , so they made the metal cocking cover in the stock part of the receiver I assume to help brace the stock , but it's too low for a bren so it either got to go or be in the wrong place ,grrrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil: it's as I said "frustratingly close to a Bren!"
Anyway rant over , feel free to take as much inspiration from this thread as you can and best of luck.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bra1n
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby Bra1n » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:05 am

love your work, it convinced me to buy a zb26.

can you upload the old foto's,
almost all my builds are based on your work as a template and to lose those photo's is a bit of a disaster.
photobucket's update creates a lot of problems for Do it yourself airsoft makers.
almost all the old tutorials are gone,
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 am

That would be great idea, not that I will be doing a Bren, but many of the idea's and techniques transfer over to other builds!
Andy
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
dadio

Postby dadio » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 am

It's a great idea to replace all the photo's in my threads ,as soon as I have a spare month I'll get right too it , seriously though it's a bit more of a nightmare to even attempt to do , my threads are rather picture heavy and for every picture I post up there are probably 3 or more that I don't use for various reasons so it's not just copy all to another sight but sort through thousands of pictures to find or guess witch I used , it's just not practical I'm afraid , it's deeply flattering though .
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:47 am

To my shame this thread has been dormant for some time ( family problems ) but its back now and I'm on the sprint again . One of the things I've been least looking forward to is the stock , I'm not much of a woodworker but I've recently added a 3D printer to my tool box and I've got quite obsessed with it , now how is a 3D printer of any use you ask ? well I believe they are now becoming a genuinely useful tool that can create usable products rather than the flimsy ,easily broken stuff of the past . This has been something of an Odyssey for me as I've had to learn computer aided design , slicer software and the mechanics of the printers themselves but I think I'm getting there , your still asking what has this to do with a MK1 Bren stock ? well you can print in a wood plastic mix , around 12% wood content and that means it looks , feels , smells , sands and takes wood stain just like wood !
I got a bit invested , here's a timeline of prototypes and test prints, some of them have very poor surface quality and that is because they are draft quality prints , very fast , almost hollow and only printed as dimension tests .This is not a perfect 1 to 1 copy of a MK1 stock , more of an artists impression that is compatible with the gun being converted .
First a copy of the ZB26 stock as practice .
A crude rough
A fit test piece
A more refined shape
Some more test pieces
This is the finished design but a failed print due to a blockage in the extruder nozzle , rather frustrating as it was 15 hours into a 17 hour print , you can see the top is missing , ho hum another is printing now , the first picture is as it comes off the printer with all the support material still attached .
And after a slight clean up
This one shows an internal cross piece (in red) that connects the strap fittings so it will be strong enough to use .
Finally a pile of pieces that might show the degree I've become invested in this .
Last edited by dadio on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:05 am

The second stock came out well , i also did a coat of stain on the failed one so you can see the effect , I've done no sanding yet so the print layers are still visible but not unattractive if left ,i'll sand and re stain , the handle mount on the under side is also a printed part as is the butt plate .
There's space inside for either a 2200 mah 7.2 v or 1600 mah 11.1 v lipo in the stock while retaining the fuse holder.
Last edited by dadio on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:25 pm

pictures after sanding and re staining.
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Wed May 01, 2019 3:15 pm

This one is finished , i'll print another for this project as this one has a fault shown in the last pictures , i printed it with an outer shell on the bottom that's too thin to sand smooth , it makes no significant structural problem , in fact its way stronger than the original, its just not as pretty as i'd like , anyway its sanded ,stained ,fittings attached and even linseed oiled ! If anybody wants this one they can PM me with an offer , if there is enough interest i can print off more , £50 if you sand and finish it yourself or £70 sanded stained and oiled, this includes the butt cap ,fake handle mount , an internal sling mount re enforcer , all needed screws plus P+P or collect at a game.
armoury

ImageImageImage
Mattywheels
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Mattywheels » Wed May 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Phenomenal Gav; fantastic as always!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Tue May 07, 2019 10:56 am

More bits , the front vehicle/anti aircraft mount , another part that goes under the receiver to make it deeper and two side pieces that go on at the rear to adjust the shape .
Only one more piece to do after that then its on to the magazines , paint and rebuild the gearbox .
And here are a few pictures of the finished second full stock .
There are still some parts underneath that are not perfect as the printing process there works at 90 degrees to the wood grain effect but its plenty thick enough and barely visible unless you'r looking for it , you can see it in the last photo.
I'm tempted at this stage to model up the whole lot as a 3D printable kit , use two steel support tubes , one for the barrel and a second for the gas block and then have parts that slide over the steel tubes to give it the proper shape .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Fri May 10, 2019 11:54 am

Its in primer ready for filling , sanding and spraying .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun May 12, 2019 3:34 pm

I was going to start filling and sanding today when i realized I'd forgotten the rear sight , I'd already 90% finished it so it only took a little while to finish and install , i still need to replace the leaf as it sits to the right of the arm and it now needs to sit to the left but it moves up and down as it should .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 am

Fixed the gearbox , it was just the pinion gear on the motor stripped , the adjuster screw for the motor was wound all the way out and had obviously never been adjusted at the factory , very simple fix , I just robbed the pinion of an old Chinese motor gave it all a clean and re grease and she's good to go , the piston O ring seal is not great its a little off a perfect seal but good enough for testing .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Tue May 14, 2019 2:40 pm

Filled , rubbed down and paint going on .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Tue May 14, 2019 6:03 pm

all i one piece and working , just need to do the mags and sight leaf.
armoury

ImageImageImage

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”