Another MP28!!

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
razorlight
Veteran
Veteran

Another MP28!!

Postby razorlight » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:46 pm

After seeing Chefs MP28 lookalike, I was inspired to have a go myself. The main difference with mine is I decided to chop the sten about rather than be able to change it back.

I blew up some scale plans to actual size and started by looking in ebay for an air rifle stock. Didn't have much luck, I couldn't find one that would work. So I bought a 50mm deep lump of ash plank off ebay to make a stock and set to work with a jigsaw, router and chisels. I thought I'd bitten more than I could chew, you have to be very careful as you end up with 5mm walls at the sides. Anyway it worked out OK. The stain I used was Osmo walnut oil woodstain (ebay) which was much better than the old tin of Homebase Walnut stain I tried on a spare bit of wood. I left a 25 mm thick front end on the stock as I decided to mount the donor gun through the front end rather than from underneath. I made a bracket using 3mm ali, pop riveted and glued it with JB Weld (brilliant stuff) and fitted a 6mm thread insert which lines up with a hole drilled in the front of the stock. For the rear mount I made a 2 piece custom bracket to try and copy the appearance of the tilt release of the real gun. It has a hole drilled through the bottom of the release button so the original mounting screw is still used. A removable second piece then fits on the bracket with a 6mm screw into an insert in the stock. On the upper receiver, the cocking handle has been moved to the rear. I took out the curved piece of ali sheet that the cocking handle mounts onto and carefully cut it in half and glued it behind the cocking handle slot. It looks neater and stops water getting into the gearbox when it rains.

The barrel was made of 40/2mm ali tube (easier to drill through than 3mm) and I fitted into the front end of the barrel sleeve, a short piece of ali tube which fitted exactly over the sten barrel to make the whole thing stronger. Trigger guard is made from 3mm ali using metal putty to make the shape as original as possible. The sight was again made from the scale drawings and refs using an AK47 sight (same as Chefs version).

The battery fits in the rear of the stock using an extension lead I made up, which is just long enough to come out of the end. I had to drill 2 holes down the centre of the stock hoping to god they'd meet up. I pencilled 2 lines on the side of the stock as guides then drilled into it with a 460/13mm long wood auger drill (ebay). That was probably the most difficult bit to do. To my great relief they joined up. The idea being that once the gun is put together, all I have to do is take off the butt plate and fit the battery. I fitted the end with 2 metal threaded inserts(for wood) so it should be quick to fit the battery. Just waiting for some of the satin black enamel to dry fully and it all together and test fire it tomorrow ready for the Ruhr game on Saturday. I just hope it all works properly!! I'll put some pics up tomorrow of the completed gun in case anyone else is thinking off making one.

Thanks again to Chef for his excellent post

MP28 1.JPG

MP28 2.JPG

MP28 4.JPG
Last edited by razorlight on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hänschen klein
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Another MP28!!

Postby Hänschen klein » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Looking Good :good:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage
TheChef
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby TheChef » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Looking great, good work, will be interesting to compare some time :good:
German
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russian
ImageImageImage
British
ImageImageImageImage
Japanese
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Looks great. Can't wait to see it in person
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
razorlight
Veteran
Veteran

Postby razorlight » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Assembled the gun and test fired it this afternoon. All working as it should. Hope it lasts the day at Ruhr.

MP28 5.JPG

MP28 6.JPG

MP28 8.JPG
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zero Bravo

Postby Zero Bravo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:10 pm

Looks fantastic, can’t wait to have a look on Saturday. Not so happy I may be shot at with it :?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

In a man to man fight, the winner is the man who puts an extra round in his magazine
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Granger » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Very nice. I love wood stocked smg's
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hänschen klein

Postby Hänschen klein » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:52 am

:good:
Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”