Airsoft suitable black paint

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
Granger
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Airsoft suitable black paint

Postby Granger » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm currently converting my m1918a2 BAR to a m1918 BAR as used in WW1 (some unaltered models were used in WW2 as well). Part of this will require me to paint the BAR so it looks blued instead of parkerized. Can anyone recommend a good durable paint that would replicate the blued look? Would I need to use a varnish too?
Regards,

Ralph

Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
kingmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Airsoft suitable black paint

Postby kingmaker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Everyone seems to rave about krylon paint although I have never used the tins I bought yet,
Someone I know used Halfords extra matt,that was 3 color camo,I assume it's available in black too,that seems to stick well to metal and plastic and be durable.
When making stuff out of real steel not the pretend stuff airsoft items are made from,I get it hot chemical blacked,that is by a company called SPL in Liecester,they can anodize aluminium as we'll.
Obviously there is a minimum charge plus postage, so it's not cheap but I does last and is durable.
If you want the blued look then any auto paint supplier can mix some paint to the color you need
Image ImageImage
dcheetham89
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dcheetham89 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 am

Always have used Halfords Matt Black, works great and you can polish it a little to give it that blued sheen
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby MartinR » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:40 am

I also use Halfords matt black. A spot of Zebo black lead metal polish brings it up with a very nice metallic sheen.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, PPsH and various pistols and cold war stuff

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
TheChef
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby TheChef » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:44 pm

I use Krylon, with a wax polish, it never really has that blued finish though :( maybe a light spray of translucent blue exhaust paint might do it ?
German
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russian
ImageImageImage
British
ImageImageImageImage
Japanese
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 pm

I have, on models many years ago used a very dark metallic blue spray, and when still wet wafted on Matt black, just to cover. When completely dry using cutting paste, polished it down to where the blue starts to shine through, then dull it off with a scouring pad, this doesn't work every time, but have had some good results.
Reading back through old posts, K98 conversions, it says there to use Matt black and rub in modellers paint called " Andrea miniature, gun metal blue" which is acrylic paint thinned down, rubbed in with cloth I suppose. I will try this myself.......when I get around to buying the paint.
Andy

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”