FS cap, badge placement

Reference information and uniform and kit Q&A
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

FS cap, badge placement

Postby MartinR » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:07 pm

As the newly proud owner of an original FS cap, I was wondering what the regulations for placing the cap badge were? I had a bit of a google around but couldn't find anything definitive.

X inches from the front and Y inches from the crown? or did it vary by regiment?
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, PPsH and various pistols and cold war stuff

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Re: FS cap, badge placement

Postby Universal Gunner » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:18 pm

I have checked in my bible: British Army Uniforms & Insignia of World War Two by Brian L Davies and it is not overly helpful:

The universal pattern of the khaki drab Field Service cap was reintroduced into the British Army at the time of the introduction of the Battledress. It was authorised to be worn by officers and other ranks alike, the only difference being the quality of the material used in its manufacture: officers had Field Service caps produced in fine quality barathea, whilst the caps mass produced for other ranks were of plain khaki drab serge.

The Field Service cap was required to be worn one size larger than other head-dresses in order that a proper fit was secured. When worn correctly the cap was placed on the right side of the wearer’s head with the front of the cap positioned just over his right eye.

Regimental or corps cap badges were worn in bronzed metal for officers and gilding metal by other ranks towards the front of the left side of the cap. Two small buttons, in a metal that matched the cap badge, were used to fasten the ends of the curtain flaps that were secured in the front of the cap; both the side curtains and the small peak were able to be folded down if required, but this was usually only done when the cap was worn during very cold weather as the curtain flaps afforded some protection to the wearer’s ears and the back of his neck.
This form of cap was occasionally referred to as a “forage cap” or “side cap”.

Incidentally for the GS cap:
The General Service cap was correctly worn with the headband positioned level around the head and 1in above the eyebrows, the crown of the cap pulled to the right. The badge was worn over the left eye, placed centrally between the headband and the crown of the cap.

Cheers
Charlie
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
MartinR

Re: FS cap, badge placement

Postby MartinR » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:47 am

Thanks Charlie, so it sounds like somewhere sensible near the front is fine (they seem to be all over the place in photos).
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, PPsH and various pistols and cold war stuff

ImageImageImage

Return to “British Uniforms and Kit”