Airsoft G43

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
kingmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Airsoft G43

Postby kingmaker » Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm

Some shaping to the top barrel cover, I have milled 2 slots that help barrel cooling on a real firearm.
Also, there is a slot for the sheet metal spring catch that secures the front band in place.
Attachments
g43cool.jpg
ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
kingmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kingmaker » Tue May 12, 2020 10:01 pm

Here I have cut and shaped 2 metal plates for the butt plate, I can’t stamp it in one pressing it will have a welded seem on the corner.
2nd pic down the trap door that normally gets to your oil bottle and cleaning kit. Being an AEG, it will be for the battery access lots of driliing and precision filing to by hand here.
3rd down I have rough fitted the plate and cleaned up the woodwork to blend in with it.
The drawing with the pink numbers is a document I sent to a guy called Ben on facebook ,he gave me some key dimensions that I was only able to guess until he offered to help me,mid job,so a big thankyou to Ben,He has a Shoei replica,so they are very accurate copies generaly speaking
Attachments
g43but.jpg
g43but2.jpg
g43but3.jpg
kingmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kingmaker » Tue May 12, 2020 10:09 pm

The trigger guard and mag-well surround is another blanked and stamped sheet metal part, designed as so it could be made fast and cheap on the real Gun,it was only in production for around 18 months ,at most and around 415,000 were produced in that time, again lots of hand cutting and filing by hand for me.
The loop around the trigger has to be dished out to form a spherical shape, it’s not just a flat strip bent into a ‘u’ shape, I have used a ball peen hammer to dish it over a hollowed out piece of wood.
Two of the screws holding the trigger guard locate on metal threads in the 6mm thick plate that froms the mount for the gearbox,so everything should pull together nicely here and be durable and be able to re-assemble lots of times.
Attachments
g43trig.jpg
g43trig1.jpg
kingmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kingmaker » Sun May 17, 2020 10:27 pm

This will explain my Gearbox,hop and mag mounting idea.I have made a metal frame that locates all 3 together in an accurate way that will allow feeding and accuracy and good air seal.

The frame is made from a piece of 18mm wide and 6 mm thick steel plate screwed to the g/box case underneath the cylinder.

There are 2 1.2mm metal plates either side with ears that go either side the nozzle to firmly screw the AK47 hop unit to,the part that looks like washer is a stepped bush that adapts the circular boss on the hop to the oval location hole in the v7 casing,it is 1.4 mm thick and also adjustes the position of the hop to allow for the longer m14 nozzle compared to the AK47 one the hop unit was designed for.

The tube shaped part is needed to lengthen the vertical feed tube on the hop unit so the M14 mag I am using can sit under the gearbox.

The magwell has an integral mag catch and is also screwed to the thick steel plate that form the basis for the main steel frame.The steel plate has 2 threaded holes as mentioned previously,and it sits in a precision slot in the stock that is aligned with the barrel centre line,and the trigger guard is held to the stock with 2 screws that go in the threaded holes mentioned above,and so puling the gearbox down into its mount position,and the tigger guard is positively fixed to some thing metal also.
Attachments
g43gbxm.jpg
kingmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kingmaker » Sun May 17, 2020 10:46 pm

This week I made a Waffenampt punch,its a bit crude but is ok for a bit of fun,these marks were put on weapons by armament ministry inspectors to say that items are proven to be manufactured to the agreed quality and specification.
Its actualy a Reich eagle with the inspectors number underneath,some people call them Funky Chickens as they are a bt of an odd shape,this is stamped on the reciever on the far left,next to that is the maunfacturers serial number,I have put this in 2 other places so far,Then the Weapon name in this case G43 (later on they became K43,but it was the same gun,although many parts do have variations.Well every part,its German after all.)
On the right is the BYF 44 ,this is the 3 letter code to hide the manufacturers name from the allies,and the number is the year of manufacture.
On the Very far right you can see another funky chicken and a second serial number.This is on the sliding bolt.

Also i did some test shooting and chrono work,and some screw holeS are not even drilled yet in important places,and it seems ok so far,but checking performance before finishing of will allow fine tuning,its not worth rushing in and ****ing it up . :happydance: :happydance: :happyswing: :happyswing: :happyclap: :happyclap: :good:

still some detail parts to make though,any one got any stock finishing tips,i was going to apply boiled linseed oil,red brown stain,then french polish and bees wax.I have done a test piece and it don't seem to go black when you put water on it and leave it over night,but I dont want it to go black over time as this can happen somtimes with linseed oil.
Attachments
g43stamp.jpg
kingmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kingmaker » Thu May 28, 2020 10:36 pm

Here I have heat blued the steel parts,and stained and oiled the stock to match an original k98 stock I have.Just need to put it together.
so next day and its in one piece 98% complete bar the blue tack on the sight and pozi-drive screw at the reciever rear
Iron sights are capable of hitting a 5 inch circle at 25m 50% of the time,and it chronos around 340-50 fps,overall weight 3.8kg.,build cost about £90 and a ton of sweat and desighn thought meltdown sessions,that continued throughout the job when design features were clearly not going to work.
Still some tidying up to do,so nearly there :D
Attachments
g43bit2.jpg
g43finsid2.jpg
g43bottom.jpg
g43bolt.jpg
g43finsid.jpg
SCVNGR
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SCVNGR » Sun May 31, 2020 2:25 am

Fantastic work
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Sun May 31, 2020 8:50 am

That looks great, have you worked out how much on cost yet?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
kingmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kingmaker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:13 pm

I made it for a guy who I met at a couple of games ,I new he would appreciate the work, we agreed a price just after I cut out the stock blanks, but Its just a hobby project if I did it for my day job this would cost thousands.
Right now I would rather be waterboarded be the CIA than start another gun project. But at least I got to the end of the project and it seems to be a skirmishable weapon so far.When ever I see a custom gun made people always go about it in a different way, totally, luckily I am used to sheet metal forming and billet machining of parts, but a wider range of machine tools would make it much easier if I had them.
Gun parts are very difficult to make as a one off, by hand ,especially when you are copying a part made with jigs and tooling in a mass production line.
I have seen people be very critical of custom guns supplied in WW2 airsoft, but if you are doing it as commercial venture there is a limit to what you can achieve in a limited time frame.
If any one wants to start a custom gun project, choose a gearbox, hop unit and Magazine first and build out from there, you will most likely have to re-proportion some dimensions, so it will most likely not be dimensionally perfect, seeing the real gun you are copying is always a big problem also.so getting dimensions to work from is sometimes guesswork.

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”