Notifications
Clear all

US 1st Infantry Division "The Big Red one"

Page 1 / 3

webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

For those interested in getting the look "right" for Op. Alsos, the doughboys will be offering a recommended kit suggestion. Although this won't be enforced in any sort of way, it would be nice to have all US infantry who are playing the "The Big Red 1" all in similar kit. Incidently those playing as the CIC would be in exactly the same kit, only minus the Big red one patch and insignia on the arms.

Pictures of the following guides will be made available after the weekend.

Basic Kit:

The US infantry by mid october would have started to have been issed the M43 combat uniform, however as most people only have M41s, so we'll propose that.

M1 Helmet with Green Net (no scrim)
M41 Jacket (Either left blank or with Big Red one patch on (preferably the dark green raw edged patch, not the sage colour un-edged))
M1936 Mustards prefered however M43/HBT trousers can be worn.
US leggings (Gaitors) tan/khaki/green.
Brown/black boots (Brown Prefered)
Basic battle order webbing, belt with ammo pouches (whatever you have) Airborne Musette pack on a GP strap is also good for this period of the war. M1936 airborne style suspenders also good if not carrying a doughboy pack, musette pack not to be attached to the D-rings if can be helped.

Specific Kit:

M1 Helmet with Green Net (no scrim) (With Big Red one painted shield on the front, black outline of shield same size as the arm patch, red painted '1' in the centre)
M41 Jacket (Big red one patch as described above)
M1936 Mustard Trousers
US leggings (Gaitors) tan
US Roughout Boots
Battle order webbing, Gun specific webbing, Doughboy Pack (haversack, meatcan pouch, T-handled E-tool, Bayonet in scabbard if available) Water Canteen, 1st aid pouch, pistol holster if needed, M3 Fighting knife if available.

Again just to re-iterate, this a guide for making us all look like a unit, and any of the above guide is not a minimum requirement! :good:

[link]http://www.701ordmaint.com/images/WWII%20PHOTOS/396403924%20The%201ST%20Division%20prepares%20itself%20to%20take%20the%20sea%20for%20the%20Normandy.jpg[/link]

Topic starter Posted : 14/08/2009 10:48 am

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

:good:

Josh has a load of plain M1 helmets and infantry leggings available for loan if it helps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/08/2009 12:02 pm

webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

Excellent! :)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/08/2009 12:03 pm

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Handy kitlist that...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2009 5:02 pm

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Out if interest in the image they have the bayonet attached to the doughboy pack, is that a seperate pouch thar attaches to it or is there a slip for it in the pack? Excuse my ignorance, also are plastic bayonets available for airsoft reasons due to some sites not allowing over 3" blades...,

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2009 7:36 pm

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Noted regarding the "doughboy" ;-)

As for the functionality of using it, well to be fair getting the look right is important, its not something that is likley to be fully loaded skirmishing anyway - of course I can see the benefit from running just the belt and same bandoliers which I prob will do anyway.

Been airsofting for years and always carried sometype of small 1 day backpack, so really it wont be too different...

Rig: Ignore AA flag!

Wont use the knife, gaspouch etc skirmishing and prob not the pliers but its a pretty light weight setup when you add x2 bandoliers.

Got to say though, I am tempted to get a garand belt instead of the pistol belt but not sure...

Be nice to get the rubber bayonet, are the scabbards easy to come buy?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2009 7:27 am

(@wladek)
Famed Member

Yes, you'd get issued a rifle belt unless you are carrying a carbine or pistol (or thompson for that matter), though not personally sure whether a rifle belt will hold the short airsoft mags for converted M1(M14). But one of the guys (Webby / Yith etc) should be able to put you straight on that :good:

Each pouch on the rifle belt holds two of the modified shotgun mags that the converted M14 uses. :good:
Each time I tell myself I will work around clockwise, and each time it goes to hell and I am scrambling madly trying to find the few remaining ones with ammo in them :roll: , Great fun.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2009 2:59 pm

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thank you, still a work in progress.

I have a 2nd bat m1 converted m14 on way, should land from the us next week. Shall write up a little review when it arrives as it's his latest custom one.

Think your right about keeping the pistol pouch. Can you buy double garand pouches that attach to the belt? That and the bandolier would ne the perfect setup for me .

Sorry about the thread hijack too!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2009 3:50 pm

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

knew there was a carbine one but was unsure if a garand version exsisted? Sounds like not...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2009 4:18 pm

(@wladek)
Famed Member

OK, here's a question if I may ask. Is anyone planning on bringing a BAR to Alsos?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2009 3:27 pm

webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

Unless Pete Grice does I dont think so, Alex Berry isnt coming

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/09/2009 10:28 am

(@wladek)
Famed Member

Meh, can't say I'm hugely bothered if not :wink:

Now, continuing my 'getting excited for Alsos theme', are some of us Yanks 'Alsos' opperatives and some big red one?

Also are those that have them wearing the rgiment badge on the sidecap? And what's the regiment again?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2009 3:28 pm

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

are some of us Yanks 'Alsos' operatives and some big red one

All US players will be part of Able Company, 1st US Infantry Division. Cpt. Steinberg will pick volunteers to assign to Allied counterintelligence. It's on a need-to-know basis and doggies don't need to know :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2009 6:12 pm

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

So wish I was playing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2009 7:32 pm

(@wladek)
Famed Member

are some of us Yanks 'Alsos' operatives and some big red one

All US players will be part of Able Company, 1st US Infantry Division. Cpt. Steinberg will pick volunteers to assign to Allied counterintelligence. It's on a need-to-know basis and doggies don't need to know :D

eeexcelent

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2009 11:37 pm

Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

Also are those that have them wearing the rgiment badge on the sidecap? And what's the regiment again?

I have 16th Infantry Regiment. This seems to be the only badge which is readily available.

Here: http://6thjune1944.com/index2.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2009 8:26 am

(@wladek)
Famed Member

I have 16th Infantry Regiment. This seems to be the only badge which is readily available.

Here: http://6thjune1944.com/index2.html

That's the chappy :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2009 1:38 pm

webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

My 16th inf DI is on my garison cap! :) :good:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/09/2009 3:17 pm

(@wladek)
Famed Member

just ordering one nowish :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2009 3:29 pm

Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

I'll have one spare for someone to borrow as it appears they weren't worn on officer's garrison caps. D'oh!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2009 3:31 pm

Page 1 / 3

Share: