Notifications
Clear all

The battle for Brittany

Page 1 / 6

Zero Bravo
(@zero-bravo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Announcing the next WW2 game to be held at Elite Action Games Worthing site on February 21st 2010. Just a notice to put a date in your diaries, book time off work or start building excuses with the wife!
More details to follow in the future of team sizes and booking details, just wanted to book the date in the fast filling calendar for 2010!

Quoted from Ask..

The advance of the 8th Corps also brought with it a problem that involved the French Resistance. Whereas the resistance had played a major but invisible role at D-Day the campaign in Brittany was one where the French Resistance was to openly fight the Germans. A French officer based in London, Albert Eon, was flown in to lead the 20,000 men and women of the resistance based in Brittany. However, they needed modern equipment. This was parachuted in. The problem was that the Americans advanced so quickly that the equipment was frequently dropped in areas already taken by the Americans so that the resistance fighters had to wait for it to be moved up to them. Regardless of such glitches, the French Forces of the Interior (FFI) did have its triumphs. FFI troops attacked and captured the Vannes airfield using armoured jeeps brought in by gliders; 150 Frenchmen took important rail bridges at and near Morlaix. Groups of FFI openly accompanied the Americans - their local knowledge about the layout of the land was very important to the Americans.

One reason for the speed of the Americans advance was German disarray after D-Day. Another reason was that the German commander in Brittany, General Fahrmbacher, had ordered all of his troops to the heavily defended ports - therefore, there were fewer Germans in the interior of Brittany than the Americans had thought. Hitler had designated the ports as fortresses "to be defended to the last man, to the last cartridge".

This time the French get no special privelages but the point system will be worked out in advance and the result for the day will be based on objectives achieved on the day, not what happened in the book!

(@kroot)
Reputable Member

Well you should be able to count on 8 or so Frenchies for that one

ReplyQuote
Hurrah
(@hurrah)
Reputable Member

Well you should be able to count on 8 or so Frenchies for that one

Yep, you can count me in your crew for that, I may actually 'hit' someone this time rather than just draw fire!

To the tune of "Mademoiselle from Armentières"

Napoleons army ran away, As you do
The guard stood firm for Frances Pride, As you do
They said the guard will stand and die
But we heard what their Colonel cried
It wasn't pretty I tell you.

Resistance is fertile

ReplyQuote
(@kroot)
Reputable Member

Looks like some German killing training sesions are on the cards then!

ReplyQuote
Hurrah
(@hurrah)
Reputable Member

Looks like some German killing training sesions are on the cards then!

well, if you can sort me out for a couple of Epsom based games between now and then, preferably Saturday afternoons or Sundays (i have obligations as an informal carer) and give me some tutoring, we will see if things improve!

Resistance is fertile

ReplyQuote
Harborne Blue
(@harborne-blue)
Honorable Member

Need to check the diaries but you can count me in for 2 x French SAS types.

ReplyQuote
Zero Bravo
(@zero-bravo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

This game is still set to go ahead, although its going to take the Tarantino approach to history! In truth it's going to be a romp in the woods with like minded airsofters who like to dress in WW2 gear. I make no apologies for the game being a SISK, it's a three team game whereby you can easily identify the opporsition because you recognise their uniform / loadout.
Three teams, Axis, Allied and French Partisan. If the 82nd are fighting alongside Brit Paras, then so be it, and all look alikes are welcome as well, even if you have a black boiler suit and a scrimmed m14, you'll all be very welcome.
If there are a few new guys wanting to get into WW2 airsoft but are holding back because you're worried about not having the right look, then this is the game for you, Flectarn jacket and green trousers, fighting alongside full loadout SS or Heer marks you as German as much as civvies are French and Olive drab is US.
Price is £15 for the day which includes the best burger you've had on an airsoft site and a coke, The kettle is on for free tea and coffee for the rest of the day. Please bring your own mug!

ReplyQuote
Hurrah
(@hurrah)
Reputable Member

What I really want to know, will there be bread pudding?

That sound fun, though Hong Kong movie/Gangsta style shooting of pistols does mess with the ammo feed

I've yet to decide whether I'll be a resister or Free French regular.

One curio I have found regarding Brittany, In 1940, the Polish Independent Highland Brigade [link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Independent_Highland_Brigade[/link] disbanded there, many including the commander made it to the UK, others joined the locals as resisters, seems there was a rather active POWN element in the area [link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_resistance_in_France_during_World_War_II[/link] , so if you can't stomach playing a Frenchie, play a Pole!

Resistance is fertile

ReplyQuote
(@kroot)
Reputable Member

Or Spanish,Hungarian,German,Czech,Slovak etc etc most of the ex SCW guys were still fighting.

Also if it is late war then a higher amount of regular French kit can be worn with the resistance loadout.

Mind you I see a problem with friendly fire if any of us are in late war French kit-it's U.S with French badges-could be fun

ReplyQuote
Hänschen klein
(@hanschen-klein)
Famed Member

1 SS
2 Hitler youth partcipitants

Maybe able to recruit 2 more Germans, look forward to the hunt

Vorwarts-Marsch!!

ReplyQuote
Hurrah
(@hurrah)
Reputable Member

2 Hitler youth partcipitants

Those Strength Through Joy adventure holidays seem a bit harsh!

Resistance is fertile

ReplyQuote
Zero Bravo
(@zero-bravo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It's better than having them turn bad and sending them off to fat camp afterwards :)

ReplyQuote
fremsley
(@fremsley)
Prominent Member

Wahey! Another Jimbo triumph in the making! Count me in mate - I'll see if Fred will make it as well - might even try to rope in some mates who've never done one as well.

I'm a hero with coward's legs.

ReplyQuote
Zero Bravo
(@zero-bravo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Please do Fremmers old chap. There's a few I'm templting away from Multicam to dip their toes into WW2 airsofting, just because they've heard good reports from previous games. So this is and ideal friendly game where look alike and starter loadouts are welcome. There was quite a bit of mockery of a guy that played at Haggard in a black jumpsuit as Panzer troops away from vehicle, but he didnt like it and never got into it, the point is that he tried. This event is for those that want to try. A couple of my lads have got basic kit but were worried it wasnt good enough for "Proper WW2 Games" So I'm aiming the game at very much including all newcomers. I just want to get bodies on the ground shooting each other.
German troops numbers are looking thin at the moment but as we have plenty of time I'll put up who's playing on which side in the new year.

ReplyQuote
fremsley
(@fremsley)
Prominent Member

Excellent Jimbo - laudable senitiments. It would be great to get more into it. Its a real shame that anyone should be had a go at for trying. Especially when a Denison smock is going to set you back the very best part of a 100 nicker! The more the merrier - I can make up some more FFI armbands if anyone wants to go civvy/Maquis? Let me know mate.

ReplyQuote
(@pimms)
Reputable Member

Jimbo, I know i'ts slightly off topic, but at some point before it gets toooooo warm :P could we a arrange a small game at worthing where we have a night game and it envolves camping in fox holes and stuff. Kind of like bastogne, have always wanted to do that...:D

Hang on! (x) of you, (y) of me, dont mind playing Airsoft, I make that Pimms O’clock

ReplyQuote
Zero Bravo
(@zero-bravo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Aw Pims you threaten to open a can of worms on that one, I think if we were to run a game like that it would have to be local only. There's many who have done it for real and that was enough for them, and people driving long distance to suffer sleep deprovation is just asking for trouble. I understand where you're coming from but we need to build a local network to play overnight games.

ReplyQuote
fremsley
(@fremsley)
Prominent Member

Pimms mate - are you sure you want to put yerself through that again - all those carousing jerries until the early hours, not to mention that chain dog 'mit ze book fur ze names'!

ReplyQuote
Hurrah
(@hurrah)
Reputable Member

not to mention that chain dog 'mit ze book fur ze names'!

Don't tell him your name Pike!

Resistance is fertile

ReplyQuote
101stairborne-506
(@101stairborne-506)
Reputable Member

hey guys, what are the numbers looking like?

i will be interested in this one as its under an hour away, and the price is very attractive

so definatly okay for a few US infantry/airborne guys?

Now a 'namsofter. I have an M72 L.A.W. for sale for 110 posted, PM if interested.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share: