Notifications
Clear all

volkssturm

Hstuf. Vorwärts
(@hstuf-vorwarts)
Estimable Member

Hi,
the Volkssturm weared a lot of Uniform items that the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS had, you can do nothing wrong when you use a M43 trouser, a M43 tunic and a M40 greatcoat, very important is the Armband that you have to wear and the special Volkssturm insignias, I dont know, where you will find copies of them...

... re=related

Ehre, Treue Vaterland!!! "NON SOLI CEDIT"

Topic starter Posted : 25/12/2009 8:20 am

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Going off at a slight tangent... You could portray a Volksgrenadier unit if you're... ahem... mature like some of us (rather than go the whole hog with Volksturm, most of which would probably be 50+ or under-16).

From Wiki:

Volksgrenadier was the name given to a type of German Army division formed in the Autumn of 1944... The name itself was intended to build morale, appealing at once to nationalism (Volk) and Germany's older military traditions (Grenadier). Around 50 were formed late in the war. Volksgrenadiers and Volksgrenadier divisions should not be confused with the Volkssturm, which is an entirely different entity.

History and Organisation
The strategic emergency and concomitant manpower shortage resulting from the losses in mid 1944 required the creation of infantry divisions that economized on personnel and emphasized defensive strength over offensive strength. The Volksgrenadier divisions met this need by using only six line infantry battalions instead of the normal nine for infantry divisions — already a common reality for many existing divisions. The units also had a higher proportion of submachineguns and light automatic weapons and thus relied more on short-range firepower than in standard German Army infantry units. Automatic weapons like the new "wonder weapon" Sturmgewehr 44 and anti-tank weaponry like the single shot panzerfaust were also used by Volksgrenadier units.

They were organized around small cadres of hardened veteran soldiers, NCOs and officers and then bulked out with anything the Replacement Army could get its hands on. "Jobless" personnel of the shrinking Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe, wounded soldiers from broken formations returning to duty from hospitals, older men who would have been considered too old or too unfit for the peacetime army and teenagers were recruited into the ranks.

Battle
Volksgrenadier divisions participated in the Battle of the Bulge, the defense of the Siegfried Line and Eastern Front, and in the final battles in Germany. Some divisions acquitted themselves very well and fought tenaciously while others were rushed into battle with a minimum of training and thus performed very poorly. Several Volksgrenadier divisions, especially those made up of "jobless" Wehrmacht personnel drawn from the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe, often displayed high motivation and morale which resulted in surprisingly good cohesion and military effectiveness against the Reich's enemies in the last eight or so months (about October 1944 through May 1945) of the war in Europe.

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/12/2009 10:28 am

Hstuf. Vorwärts
(@hstuf-vorwarts)
Estimable Member

Dear Steiner.

you made a mistake, he asked for Volkssturm NOT for the Volksgrenadierdivision.... or may I am wrong? Because the Volkssturm is nothing else then a militia...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/12/2009 12:11 pm

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Hi Peter, yes they are two completely different things. However, my reasoning behind mentioning Volksgrenadiers was this: firstly, I'm pretty sure there would be no Volksturm units in Poland. If the thinking behind Panzerfaust's post was that he might be too old to portray a regular Heer soldier (although it doesn't bother most of us!), he could very accurately portray a Volksgrenadier. :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/12/2009 12:43 pm

Hstuf. Vorwärts
(@hstuf-vorwarts)
Estimable Member

Yeaph... or a very, very old Hitlerjunge... :happydance:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/12/2009 2:21 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

Just to clarify, I'll quote C-W's original game scenario announcement.

The German troops within, hastily brought forward to defend the route to Berlin and commanded by SS Obergrupenführer Krüger, comprises V SS Mountain Corps, 86 Fortress Machine Gun Battalion, 103 Permanent Fortress Infantry Battalion, 433, 463 and 192 Depot Infantry Divisions of the Wermacht, as well as some 9 Army and Volkssturm battalions. There is much work to be done - not only securing the archives and art treasures but also ensuring the security of the engine assembly halls. The communications centre is vital to retain coordination of adjoining complexes up and down the line.

As you can see, you have a lot of flexibility if playing as a German!

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/12/2009 6:30 pm

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Oops, my bad, Pete.

Panzerfaust, this event is 18+. It's all booked up at the moment, although cancellations might occur.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/12/2009 7:05 pm

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

I'm going as a Volkssturmann :D

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6739&p=113437&hilit=volkssturm#p113437

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/12/2009 7:53 pm

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

is there any events that you can be under 18 to go to

All CiA games are over-18. Other games, such as Op Freshman and Battle for Brittany, are dependent on site rules or the organiser's rules. If it's not clear on the threads you'd have to ask the organisers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/12/2009 8:40 am

Share: