Notifications
Clear all

British Army mountain cap?

CHThree
(@chthree)
Noble Member

Hi folks,

So, does anyone make a decent British Army mountain cap? (Yes, I have been watching Heroes of Telemark :-) ) My tweed cap has no ear flaps, my ears have been getting cold lately and I draw the line at a dear stalker.

Cheers.

Ranj

Topic starter Posted : 27/12/2015 8:11 pm

McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

SoF used to make one, but stoped production as they weren't a good seller - in the end you could pick the smaller sizes up from them for £4.99!

Their copies weren't perfect anyway and didn't have the unhookable lining with which to stow the ear-flaps behind when folded inside. Originals can be had quite cheap if your lucky - used = £15-£20, mint = £25-£40, but most jokers on eBay list them for around the £60-£80 mark for tatty examples. If you've got a bit head like me, finding a size 60cm or above is very hard work indeed.

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/12/2015 12:19 am

(@taffpara)
Noble Member

Hi folks,

So, does anyone make a decent British Army mountain cap? (Yes, I have been watching Heroes of Telemark :-) ) My tweed cap has no ear flaps, my ears have been getting cold lately and I draw the line at a dear stalker.

Cheers.

Ranj

What size you after?

May have a spare somewhere but as with most original WW2 bits from memory would be a smallish size.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/12/2015 9:09 am

CHThree
(@chthree)
Noble Member

59cm or 7 1/4 in old money, I don't expect to find one too easily at that size.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/01/2016 10:57 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

I've still got mine somewhere Ranj', I'll see if I can find it. I only ever wore it at Jedburgh and the Cassino game.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2016 2:38 pm

CHThree
(@chthree)
Noble Member

Thanks, Pete.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/01/2016 7:56 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

Their copies weren't perfect anyway and didn't have the unhookable lining with which to stow the ear-flaps behind when folded inside.

Actually, they did (or, at least, mine did).

Ranj', I found it! (no easy task in my kit mountain!). Can't locate the inner part at the moment but, I'm sure it will turn up and, the cap is usable without it anyway (because, that's how I wore it).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2016 8:32 pm

McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

Actually, they did (or, at least, mine did).
...Can't locate the inner part at the moment but, I'm sure it will turn up and, the cap is usable without it anyway (because, that's how I wore it).

Originals have this part sewn in along the rear edge of the peak/forehead area, so it couldn't be completely removed. Their earlier production run also had the ties of the earflaps as two separate lengths you had to tie together, rather than just being one continuous piece linking both flaps as a "chin strap". I think they must've copied one that had it's chin-strap cut in half, a popular modification in post-war civilian use. SoF also didn't include the white faux wool cover which originals were produced and supplied with (but only ever used when in snowy conditions to aid heat retention and camouflage).

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2016 8:51 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

If I recall, mine was partly sewn in too, and, it has a 1 piece chin strap as well, it's all very well made (I believe they were made by What Price Glory and, sold on by SOF). All irrelevant really, I'm trying to help Ranj', not count stitiches on a repro' that I haven't used in years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2016 10:06 pm

McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

Oh, I was just spouting info' if anyone was interested.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2016 10:37 pm

CHThree
(@chthree)
Noble Member

Very interesting, McV, very interesting. I'l take it off your hands, Pete. What do you want for it?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/01/2016 10:11 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

No idea mate, make me an offer!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2016 10:19 am

CHThree
(@chthree)
Noble Member

PM'd you, Pete.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/01/2016 6:18 pm

Share: