Notifications
Clear all

No.10 Commando...

(@thompy1993)
Estimable Member

Hello all, I am currently in the process of putting together a No.10 Commando load out, mostly for reenacting but maybe for airsoft if I can find money in the student budget to get a new 'toy'. I was wondering if anyone has any sources or research they have found or done on No.10 Commando, 3 Troop in particular. Many thanks, Craig

Man is too clever to survive without wisdom

Topic starter Posted : 03/03/2013 4:04 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member

ah, the most unknown troop. I have a few books on No10, but the information on them is pretty scarce. They didn't really 'fight' in the same way as other commandos and I would liken their roll to one more similar to SOE and the Cichociemni. I am almost certain there isn't really such a thing as a 3 Troop load-out really, with badges/patches and such.

They are certainly one of the more interesting units though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/03/2013 5:10 pm
PolzyStevo
(@polzystevo)
Estimable Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ten-Commando-Ia ... 780&sr=8-1

This might be a good port of call. It's a pretty good book with lots of stories, information and photos. There's quite a bit on 3 troop too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/03/2013 6:04 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member

Or thus http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/10-Commando/p/2594/ - sorry, I have resolved to insert any Non-Amazon link whenever I see one, as a personal quest, you will all have to suffer this now.

To quote from the BBC History archive

They wore the No. 10 Commando shoulder title (or sometimes the No. of the Commando to which they were attached) and the Combined Operations arm flash. On their green berets they could not wear the Pioneer Corps badge as this would have betrayed their origins, so they wore the badges of the Queen's Own Royal West Kents, East Kents (Buffs), Royal Sussex, Hampshire Regiments or the General Service badge (letter to author from Ian Dear 28.10.94).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/03/2013 6:07 pm
(@thompy1993)
Estimable Member

As for a 'Load out' goes, for on base uniform it will just be standard No.10 Commando battle dress with jump wings as the vast majority of No.3 Troop had to be parachute trained to give them the flexibility that was needed for that role. As for on 'ops' then I would assume the usual mix match of kit that they desired. I just wondered if there was any pictures out there anyone knew about really. I already know that there were in fact russians in No.3 troop as they took part in a raid against a soviet factory or refinery which Stalin had sanctioned to prevent its capture by the Germans!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/03/2013 6:03 pm
Gadge
(@gadge)
Illustrious Member

We're on about 'no 10 'inter allied' commando' yeah?

Kit varies wildly depending on role and theatre.

during the market garden ops some of the dutch commandos liasing with the uk airborne wore BD,leather jerkins, navy issue roll neck sweaters, wellies (the germans had flooded much of the ground) and commando berets with dutch lion cap badges.

Thats from a photo of two... could have just been one or two guys.

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2013 11:46 pm
(@thompy1993)
Estimable Member

Yeah the Inter-Allied bunch :) They are an intriguing bunch i think! From full BD to denims and plimsolls! And they loved training with the old Home Guard! The one book i do have on No.10 (IA) Commando is the Osprey publication which does give you a good idea of kit and organisation but more would be great!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/03/2013 11:35 am
(@wladek)
Famed Member

There is a fair bit around about the Polish troop - and most of the other troops, it is 'x' troop which there is less info for.

They were active in Normandy, and at Dieppe. They were mostly German, Austrian, Hungarian etc, and were frequently attached out one at a time to the SAS and the like, where their fluent German was most useful. All of them had fake names and identities, as they were predominantly Jewish enemy Nationals then if they were found out then their fate would be far worse of that of a normal captured commando, not to mention that of their families. I think I remember reading lots names had an 'MiA' after them

It does not look like they had anything that would define them as 'X/British Troop' - in the way that Polish Commandos had a 'POLAND' flash. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they wore the uniform of whatever they were attached to (but I have no evidence of this at all, only the tedious 'argument from common sense' - I thus warn you ;) )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2013 12:11 pm
(@thompy1993)
Estimable Member

Well yes that is all i can seem to find, they fought everywhere and as such didn't have much in the way of a defining kit. I just find them very interesting and there is a story of one member being an escaped German Jew who then broke his family out of a concentration camp!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/03/2013 1:09 pm
Share: