Notifications
Clear all

After Battle Thoughts And Reports

Page 1 / 3

McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

I'd just like to start this thread off with a big thanks you to Webby, all the other Dough-Boy organisers, AirsoftSkirmish, their marshals and the providers of the great set of vehicles that were there to ferry us around and really helped set the scene.

I had a fantastic time, meeting up with those that I have only met a few times before, the very friendly pre-battle social the night before, and a full days worth of great, muddy, high-level battle.

Will try and do a little report from the Brits side of things once I get myself settled in!

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

Topic starter Posted : 28/09/2008 6:18 pm
(@scaleyback)
Famed Member

I'd just like to start this thread off with a big thanks you to Webby, all the other Dough-Boy organisers, AirsoftSkirmish, their marshals and the providers of the great set of vehicles that were there to ferry us around and really helped set the scene.

I had a fantastic time, meeting up with those that I have only met a few times before, the very friendly pre-battle social the night before, and a full days worth of great, muddy, high-level battle.

Will try and do a little report from the Brits side of things once I get myself settled in!

totally agree, well done webby, and all the marshalls and staff. thanks to the owners/drivers . it was an epic game, well planned, thought out and executed. top quality. ( p.s. thanks for the bronze star, i was very honoured and humbled.cant wait to read the citation .congrats to barrie and to marsha on there awards , well done).headshot,,, that one-man ambush in the ferns fron 10 feet away was fantastic well done.( i bloody new we would get bumped getting out of the jeeps i just didnt think it would be from that close )webby, it takes some balls going out all day as a medic, unarmed and knowing you will be exposed to fire and hit regularly, first class job mate. oh and stiener sorry about the over kill i couldnt see your hand up.Yith and the brit lads, thanks for the saving private cheetham bit at the cross roads when i found myself cut off and alone holding a whole flank against at least 7 germans.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/09/2008 7:13 pm
marsha
(@marsha)
Noble Member

well what a day had a great time besides getting shot 4 times in the face but still it was fun
well done to all who played a part in this game including the marshals
heres wat ive put on youtube enjoy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/09/2008 8:27 pm
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

oh and stiener sorry about the over kill i couldnt see your hand up.

Heh, don't recall that one mate - yes, great site, great game Webby and all organisers.

Transport?????? Shanks' pony for the Axis mate - you should try it some time!!

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/09/2008 10:20 pm
taffyjohn
(@taffyjohn)
Famed Member

Nice one Marsha :) :) :)

http://www.theexsitewales.co.uk/

Is it coz I is Welsh

Welsh and proud

Your all fekin bonkers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/09/2008 10:28 pm
webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

Hi Guys, just got back!

Thanks for your kind words, I'll post up a full de-brief tomorrow when I'm not about to fall asleep!

Just like to say on behalf of Dave and myself, thanks to all those who came from near and far, it wouldnt have happened without you all!

8) 8) 8)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/09/2008 10:54 pm
Devonshire Trooper
(@devonshire-trooper)
Noble Member

looks like a nice site, very Bocage'y

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 8:05 am
jay851
(@jay851)
Noble Member

as said above great game, many thanks to webby and the site organisers for a great day. and thanks to the vehicle owners, it was great all the allies loaded up in jeeps and the truck going to attack the village.also thanks to chommers for lending me the mag although luckily did not need it,and thanks to yith for the award, well he did promise me one if i did something for him
nice to have a chat with new people and the regulars, everyone very friendly. good points...trying to take the bridge at the end of the day, hilarious everyone charging down the hill just to get mowed down. marsha's heroic charge at the end of the mornings game, trying to lead everyone down that muddy track and all getting blown away. also headshot's sneaky beaky ambush when we all jumped out the vehicles, great.
bad points..losing the allen key to adjust my hop so all i could hit was birds in the trees. a blister on my heel the size of a tomatoe, and the poxy traffic on the m40 homebound making nearly a four hour journey.
all in all great day, cheers guys and girls.

jay

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 8:56 am
Chomley-Warner
(@admin-infinity)
Illustrious Member Admin

Funny bit for me:
I was standing at the crossroads at Falaise, German troops usefully and busily deployed all around. Excellent, everything under control. Alex wanders up so we have a chat. In the distance, down the road I see Americans bobbing about - way too far for an AEG to reach so I just stand and watch as a mortar crew run forward and deploy at the side off the road. I then see a puff of smoke from the barrel and then hear the thump. How cool is that I'm thinking. Then I suddenly remember that they are launching pyro and it's probably in my direction. I look up to see the fizzing pyro dropping in an arc over my head. Mesmerised like a rabbit in headlights I watch as it lands ten feet from me. Awesome hit!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 9:38 am
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Best bit for me. Headshot, Lardy and myself had just moved beyond the crossroads at Falaise, to see if anything was happening, when we spotted Yith's entire section advancing stealthily across our path, about 10 metres away! We waited until we couldn't let them come any closer for fear of being spotted ourselves... HS turns to me and mouths "Open fire!"... and we did!! He got hit in the ensuing firefight, but I managed to medic him and then chuck a grenade in the general direction, which apparently finished them off. 8)

Oh, and thanks to all the comrades who hooked and unhooked my A-frame, as I undertook the full kit challenge! :D

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 9:46 am
webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

I look up to see the fizzing pyro dropping in an arc over my head. Mesmerised like a rabbit in headlights I watch as it lands ten feet from me. Awesome hit!

Private Mann(er)ing was responsible for that! Cleared the trees and went out of sight... then a cloud of smoke on the cross roads! The rest were all over the place hehe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 10:48 am
(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

Thanks to Webby, Dave & his staff for their efforts. Had an excellent day despite my initial reservations. I must say my heart did drop at the first sight of DPM but overall it didn't detract from the day too much. Top marks to all those who did make the effort though and hopefully we will have a few more converts. The site is truely excellent, especially away from the paintball areas and good facilites to boot; although my plank was a little uncomfortable.
Thanks to the vehicle owners too, as a German I didn't get to see them much but I did enjoy my little ride in a Jeep and the ambush on the column looked great.

Oh, and thanks to all the comrades who hooked and unhooked my A-frame, as I undertook the full kit challenge!

You sir are a nutter of the highest order. I'm surprised you didn't want Heide's 42 just so you could carry it round with you.

P.s. Nice pics Marsha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 10:58 am
webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

Yeah the dredded DPM, unfortunately some of the site regulars turned up for the normal last sunday of the month open day in their DPM (Didnt check any of the forums)

All in all the site regulars gave the Germans the extra numbers in the shortfall (I think it was only 3/4 of the Germans who pre-booked actually came along), and the added advantage of knowing the site (as you would imagine a German occupying force to know)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 11:11 am
lipton
(@lipton)
Reputable Member

Cheers Webby, had a brill time. highlight for me was the 2nd assult into falaise, for some reason i wound up linkin' with yith and a number of commandos and crawlin' down a trench next to the road and gettin' nettled to high heaven!
still absalutlly flattered about the bronze star aswell, cheers again, a fantastic day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 11:22 am
webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

Bronze star was awarded for going beyond the call, like crawling through said nettled ditch to complete the objective! :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 11:25 am
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

A good event with some great play. I enjoyed the day immensely, hands off to Webby and Dave for sorting it all out.

First the good points:

1) Vehicles... superb! Great to get to ride in the Jeeps and trucks. I noted that the jeep I travelled in had a plate saying it was made in 1943... :)

2) atmosphere, great work from Dave with the Pyro being chucked around... always good for sound effects.. :)

3) Tommies... out guys really gelled together and worked superbly as a team. Nice one guys.

Bad points
1) DPM... a shame nobody tried to sort these guys out with some better kit. I had brought some spare denisons with me and would have been happy to lend them out if anyone had asked... However much worse was the black webbing and the black balaclavas being worn by some. Shooting at those really removed my sense of immersion in the game. And why the feck was the barret brought out? A nice piece, but it should have been left in the safezone. Perhaps we should have used the site on a day out of sequence with the normal open days?

2) The last bridge game. Paintball... no more needs to be said. A daft way to end the day, certainly enjoyable... but not really right for a WWII airsoft event IMHO.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 11:28 am
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

Cheers Webby, had a brill time. highlight for me was the 2nd assult into falaise, for some reason i wound up linkin' with yith and a number of commandos and crawlin' down a trench next to the road and gettin' nettled to high heaven!
still absalutlly flattered about the bronze star aswell, cheers again, a fantastic day.

IMHO that ditch assault was key to taking the town... hardly any of the Axis troops were covering it and I had a whale of a time popping up and shooting them whilst they looked the other way. Thanks for helping out!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 11:29 am
lipton
(@lipton)
Reputable Member

just seen ya piccis masha, nice! wish i'd taken more myself.

no props yith, just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 11:35 am
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

well what a day had a great time besides getting shot 4 times in the face but still it was fun
well done to all who played a part in this game including the marshals
heres wat ive put on youtube enjoy

Any chance of getting these in a photo album rather than a video? I usually only have time to quickly scan through photos at work and can't really sit and watch a vid of them... (I also tend to get a bit bored watching them...)

soz!

:(

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 11:38 am
webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

2) The last bridge game. Paintball... no more needs to be said. A daft way to end the day, certainly enjoyable... but not really right for a WWII airsoft event IMHO.

It wasn't intended that was going to be the last game, the Idea was that the Germans would be withdrawing through the dark wood, rather than it just be a stand off over the bridge. The Allies hadnt pushed the Germans enough to make them want to fall back throughout the day, so it was just how it ended. The paintball site was only used due to having the barricades, the bridge, and the tank props and chapel further towards the safe zone (which wasnt actually used) Best Laid plans and that... I of all people dont like paintball style games, it was purely only to simulate the withdrawal of the axis team through the closing gap.

As for Pete with the Barratt, I appreciate the fact that it wasn't a period gun, and the fact that he came down to help marshall and be on the German team was good enough for me, and unfortunately thats the only rifle he has. (most of the people involved at that particular site only do modern stuff, I am the only 1 who does WW2) so to ask them to shell out on kit for an event which they may not do again was a bit steep, plus I would imagine some of them like I mentioned earlier hadnt read the forums and were just coming down for the open day.

Things to look at for next time anyway, I know some of the points werent ideal, all booted off from the Willis jeeps getting stuck even before the game began (which caused some part of the delay) and the scripted sequence to start the game didnt go according to plan, something to do with the fact that I didnt prime the BFG I gave to Chomley!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2008 11:56 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: