Notifications
Clear all

After action battle report Kampfgruppe Gruber

(@prideofengland)
Noble Member

After action battle report 2nd /3rd December 1943 Monte La Difensa sector

Herr General, We have been holding the sector against Allied attacks for several weeks,however from the increase in Allied radio traffic and an intensifying of Allied bombardments and bombing raids it was clear that we could expect a big push soon.

I had the men strengthen our defences, laying additional minefield and barbed wire defences as well as pushing forward a platoon to ambush any engineers who tried to clear them. Unfortunately our first 2 casualties of the day were from attempting to diffuse 2 unexploded bombs from the last Allied bombing raid, I request that these brave men are awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class posthumously.

The allies pushed up to the minefields and used Bangalore torpedo’s to clear them, however heavy casualties were inflicted on the enemy.

The frontal attack on Hill 960 made little progress and was pushed back with ease, unfortunately a special forces group scaled the rear of the mountain and attacked our forces from behind. Despite a brave resistance from our soldiers we were pushed from the peak, they used gangster tactics, we must watch for this in the future.

Despite the loss of Hill 960 our Kampfgruppe maintained a steady front and from information received from our wireless intercept unit it was clear that the Allies intended to attack our radio transmitter post near hill 959. An ambush was prepared and heavy casualties inflicted on the enemy who failed to destroy the radio tower. There have been unfounded rumours that the attack succeeded in capturing our SG41 decoder. I would like to take this opportunity to refute these rumours, the SG41 is still in our hands the enemy only succeeded in capturing some assorted radio equipment. However as our technology is superior to the enemy’s I thought it prudent to recapture this equipment anyway.

Whilst our main force pinned the enemy Unterfeldwebel Marsha led a platoon to recapture the equipment. After a hard fight the attack succeeded and the equipment was recaptured near an Airfield, it appears that the enemy were preparing to fly the equipment out. I recommend that Unterfeldwebel Marsha be considered for officer candidacy following this action.

The allies then attacked all along the front and we were forced to give ground inflicting heavy losses on the enemy. Eventually the attack petered out and we mounted our own counter attack and succeeded in recapturing hill 959 by the end of the day.

Unfortunately other units in the division did not fare so well and the morning of 3rd December found our Kampfgruppe cut off from the rest of the Division. There was no talk of surrender though, morale was still high in the Kampfgruppe, our men sang hearty battle songs as they marched towards the enemy. Heavy resistance was encountered and we had to break through successive enemy positions. By midday we had fought our way to the top of the hill succeeding in breaking the encirclement. We then conducted a fighting retreat down the other side of the hill and despite heavy pressure from the enemy, exhaustion and ammunition running low succeeded in rejoining the division at 15.30.

I request that the Kampfgruppe be posted to the rear for much needed rest and reorganisation.

Oberlieutnant Gruber
Kampfgruppe Gruber

Topic starter Posted : 12/08/2013 12:11 pm
cjw957
(@cjw957)
Famed Member

i think we more special needs than special forces

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2013 1:11 pm
cuff
 cuff
(@cuff)
Estimable Member

Looking forward to the next chapter

So when is the next one the 34th are waiting for our next orders

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2013 6:54 pm
(@prideofengland)
Noble Member

Glad you enjoyed the game lads and are rearing to go again, but its so time consuming organising a game that I will be taking a back seat for a while and just enjoy other organisers offerings for a bit.
Still we should be exchanging shots again at The Luga Line

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/08/2013 8:34 pm
cjw957
(@cjw957)
Famed Member

we may be running a small game in october and will be lacking germans ;) (we always are lol) so will let you guys know :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2013 10:16 am
Share: