Mechanical Issue wi...

Notifications
Clear all

Mechanical Issue with M1 Carbine

Kendo
(@kendo)
Estimable Member

Hi all,

I'm posting this here as I know there's quite a few of you more technically minded than I am, and I'm hoping one of you can help me identify the problem(s) I have. I bought the ASG CO2 M1 Carbine a good wee while ago and a clutch of the shorty CO2 mags to go with it. I initially test fired it shortly after I received it, and the bolt cycled sharply and without fault; however, the problems began on its first skirmish. I would pull the trigger, the action would cycle completely and fire the beeb, but I would be unable to fire again unless I manually cocked the weapon (effectively turning it into a glorified springer).
I took it to Frenchie, whom was on site at the time, and he advised - after a suitably negative curse upon me presenting it to him - that it be stripped and cleaned, and fresh lube applied to the moving parts. Fair enough. I did this one afternoon after much faffing and gnashing of teeth, and loaded up a fresh mag with a CO2 bulb and some .2 beebs. This time, the weapon would fire, but the bolt would get stuck in the rearward position.

And when I say stuck, I mean truly stuck.

I would literally have to batter the bolt back into battery with the heel of my hand, moving an inch at a time. The curious thing is that I could move the bolt back and forwards with ease afterwards. But if I fired it again, same thing would happen: stuck fast, and I would have to smack it forwards.

On both occasions, at the site and then after stripping and cleaning, I tried multiple magazines, all to the same effect. I get the feeling that it may not have been cycling the bolt fully in the first instance, and too much after a good clean at home, as though there was a difference in power.

Has anyone had anything similar happen with there's? Is there anything I could try to fix the problem?

'ABSIT OMEN'

Topic starter Posted : 11/03/2015 9:12 pm
Tin
 Tin
(@tin)
Reputable Member

It sounds like the blow back nozzle pin may have come adrift. The pin then digs into the cylinder, stopping it moving. You need to strip the 'bolt' and reposition the pin and add a tiny drop of glue to stop it shifting.

If on the other hand it is truly broken. Dibs on your mags. ;)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2015 1:22 pm
Kendo
(@kendo)
Estimable Member

I will certainly have a look into this, sir. Any ideas about the initial problem? I had to manually cock it each shot, as though the bolt wasn't blowing back far enough to re-engage the trigger (I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but it sounds right in my head).

As for the mags: wait and see.

'ABSIT OMEN'

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/03/2015 9:15 pm
dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

The one I worked on had a slightly warped lower receiver and did not re set the trigger ,very hard to explain I'm afraid .

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2015 9:37 pm
Tin
 Tin
(@tin)
Reputable Member

I will certainly have a look into this, sir. Any ideas about the initial problem? I had to manually cock it each shot, as though the bolt wasn't blowing back far enough to re-engage the trigger (I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but it sounds right in my head).

As for the mags: wait and see.

These really don't like the cold. I have two and have worked on two others. They were all the same. They also don't like too much lube.

It could be the cold/lube or it could have been due to the pin shifting causing the blow back parts to not function properly. Hard to tell really. I recently managed to get some mags and now have enough to be able to use the gun in a game. I may see how things go at the Rome game, but my beloved Garand needs some action too.

Stripping the gun right down is not difficult or particularly fiddly. Just take a picture of every step you take and you will be able to reverse what you did.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2015 10:06 pm
Kendo
(@kendo)
Estimable Member

These really don't like the cold. I have two and have worked on two others. They were all the same. They also don't like too much lube.

The first time I ever used it was late Spring/early summer, fairly decent day I recall. I will fiddle about with the pin next chance I get, and I'll keep the lube to a minimum.

Appreciate the help, everybody. Anyone else has any other ideas, please let me know.

'ABSIT OMEN'

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/03/2015 11:47 pm
Share: