Notifications
Clear all

Jedburgh themed training. Redditch - May 2nd 2009

Page 1 / 5

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

This is aimed mainly at potential Jed's and SAS troopers but German players will find it useful too, to give them a taste of what to expect and a grounding in some basic skills that they will find useful to get the most out of the event and to keep going if the weather is against us. Also suitable for anyone looking to learn/brush up on some skills for future events. We've put together a schedule for it and we've come up with...

Campcraft - Shelter building, track plans, firelighting, light & noise discipline, concealment.
Movement - Small unit tactics, hand signals, patrolling, "jungle lanes", breaking contact.
Selfcare - Feet, warmth, motivation.
Basic evasion techniques.
Basic navigation - Compass bearings, grid references, pacing.
Signals - Basic radio procedures.

Also, to try to teach that "living in the field" doesn't equate to "suffering for no reason". You can be perfectly comfortable, warm and well fed, without having to resort to eating nettles and worms! In fact, if you're living like a tramp, you're doing it wrong!

It will be both challenging and rewarding for the participants and paced so as not to kill anyone with fatigue. It will not be a stroll in the woods or a glorified social.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

Topic starter Posted : 26/01/2010 2:14 pm

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Yay, I'm not on call that w/e! :D

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/01/2010 5:44 pm

Snyper
(@snyper)
Estimable Member

Defo interested - will have to get it cleared with the other half (and work) but very much interested in doing this

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/01/2010 11:04 pm

neillblume
(@neillblume)
Prominent Member

Count me in!

Vorsprung durch Blitzkreig !
Speed, aggression and Hugo Boss
the innocent have nothing to fear......[img][/img]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2010 11:47 am

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

Count me in too :good:

For those that haven't been to Sgt. Heide's Battle School before, these training and fieldcraft days are just as much fun as playing, if not more so. I'd recommend attending this even if you aren't planning on going to Jedburgh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2010 12:03 pm

neillblume
(@neillblume)
Prominent Member

Count me in too :good:

For those that haven't been to Sgt. Heide's Battle School before, these training and fieldcraft days are just as much fun as playing, if not more so. I'd recommend attending this even if you aren't planning on going to Jedburgh.

I second that!

Vorsprung durch Blitzkreig !
Speed, aggression and Hugo Boss
the innocent have nothing to fear......[img][/img]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2010 12:21 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Martin and Neil.

I'm hoping to keep the price nice and low for this, the same as my other training days. There may be a small charge for camping if we're allowed to camp the night before but it should still be less than £30, hopefully no more than £25.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2010 12:22 pm

HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

Also, to try to teach that "living in the field" doesn't equate to "suffering for no reason". You can be perfectly comfortable, warm and well fed, without having to resort to eating nettles and worms! In fact, if you're living like a tramp, you're doing it wrong!

Tell that to Bear Grylls when he eats berries out of bear shit. Why doesn't he just eat the berries off the bush like the bears did?! Twat.

Anyway, I hope to be in attendance to help Pete out and share some my shelter building and backwoodsmanship skills.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2010 3:12 pm

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

*note to self - must buy a machete...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2010 3:48 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

*note to self - must buy a machete...

You're better off with a good hand axe Andy. Machetes are only really useful in the jungle.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2010 4:26 pm

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Noted. :good:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2010 4:29 pm

HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, a hatchet's better than a folding saw too. You can resharpen it that way, and split wood for kindling.

Good: http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/hand- ... 40201.aspx

The best: http://www.ronniesunshines.com/bushcraf ... 1_142.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2010 4:41 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

Yes, I've got a Gransfors axe and it's great. Holds its' edge nicely and very well balanced for chopping and even carving/shaping. Expensive, mind.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2010 5:25 pm

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

Surely we don't need one EACH though?

The Franklin Expedition escape party of 1848 included in its kit a full canteen of silver cutlery, a pair of carpet slippers and a copy of The Vicar of Wakefield. You simply can't man-haul a sledge over a few hundred miles of arctic ice without essentials like that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2010 7:43 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

Surely we don't need one EACH though?

You don't need one at all! I was just giving Andy some advice, that's all. :good:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2010 7:57 pm

(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

You don't need one at all! I was just giving Andy some advice, that's all. :good:

Kewl. Once I've packed the silver cutlery and the carpet slippers into my bread bag there won't be any room for the Vicar of Wakefield, let alone an axe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2010 8:09 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

:rofl:

I started a "suggested" kit thread to give an idea of some things that might be useful, both for training and for the event itself. A simple way to think of things is "bring it only if you're willing to carry it".

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/01/2010 8:12 pm

dieselmonkey
(@dieselmonkey)
Noble Member

Where can i hire bearers for the full set of campaign furniture I'll need? :wink:

Hopefully i'll be free for this date, always enjoy this sort of thing!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2010 12:19 pm

Seanebabes
(@seanebabes)
Reputable Member

Arses with tits on! (scuse my language) I'm away that weekend. Boo hiss. Boo double hiss in fact!
As for axes, if you must have one then Granfors is the only way to go. Small scandinavian axe for preference. Try Ray Mears bushcraft online shop, very slightly cheaper and you can get all your other top quality survival goods too. I would not however recommend using a well set up axe without some basic safety instruction. Yes, I am an old woman, but these things are seriously dangerous if you are not careful. I have two and they are razor sharp, seriously, I can shave with them. Get your chopping and carving wrong and you will split your bones through protective clothing. Not for the unwarey. Bloody good though.
If you think you will need some heavy duty cutting gear (and from what Sgt Heide says probably not) then go for some sort of folding saw (even a collapsable bow saw), much safer and you will probably get more use out of it, unless you are going to do some carving.
Right, I shall go and try to get Hever Castle to move their event to another weekend. Bet they don't... sods!
Sulk. :(

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2010 1:34 pm

Pete_59
(@pete_59)
Noble Member

Definately interested in this, just depends on what my employment status is at the time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2010 1:49 pm

Page 1 / 5

Share: